Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Audio groups?

Options
  • 23-04-2003 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I would love to get involved in an Audiophile group if one exists. Anyone know if there is such a thing in Dublin or elsewhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Not that I know of, wouldn't mind heading along to a meet myself.
    I know Cloney Audio usually organise a hi-fi event in the RDS once a year, you'd have to ring them to see if its happening this year though.
    Theres a fair few audiophile boards on the net, head-fi.org, audioasylum.com, avforums.com.. might be an idea to check those, though I've never seen anyone else post on head-fi from Ireland (then again I've only been frequenting it a few months).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks Kali. I was at the Cloney Audio one last year. It wasn't bad but very busy and hard to get a feel for most of the systems. Very sales orientated obviously.
    I had more of a get together and listen to various systems kind of thing in mind. It is hard to know what is out there without hearing others systems. Cloney seems to be the only high end dealer in Ireland so maybe they will be aware of an interest group. I may give them a call.
    I frequent a few online forums, audiocircle and decware but while they have members from all over, I don't know of anyone else from Ireland either.
    Are you addicted to the perfect sound like me?:p

I wouldn't say addicted no.. my main setup was aimed at getting a decent home cinema setup for under a grand (irish), (I won't even list the components).. my headphone setups pretty sweet though:

Arcam CD72t -> Van Der Hul Bay C5 -> Musical Fideltiy X-Can V2 -> Sennheiser HD580

Have to get a power conditioner or decent quality surge protector asap though, cos the arcam is very sensitive to fluctuations (plug something in elsewhere in the room and your playback blanks momentarily) apart from that its bliss, though I may purchase some tubes for the X-Can if I feel adventurous in a few months, I'm not mad enough to go spending over a hundred to replace the sennheisers cable tho just yet :)

Sounds like a nice headphone setup. Power concerns are often overlooked and not enough effort is put into that side of things when building a system.
    I saw a UPS for sale here a while ago which might be worth a shot. A UPS with a bad battery should still filter out everything bad and should in theory improve the sound also.
    I have heard what a good power cord can do to improve a CD player so I can only imagine what an online ups might do.

Hmm I didn't think a UPS would do the job, as it doesn't really clean the input signal up, and with the battery on constant charge I'd imagine it would only be slightly better than mains, must go look it up though and get a better idea..

What rig have you got yourself?

• Advertisement

An online UPS takes the AC, converts it to DC and then inverts it back to an AC waveform again. Unless it is very badly implemented, it should do a very good job.
    There are other types besides online in the very lower end of UPS's still but I don't remember the terminology any more.
    I have a 'mail order' system. I am running a Sony CD/SACD player modded professionally, a pair of Norh LeAmp monoblock amps and a pair of VMPS 626 Neo speakers. I found all of these through newsgroups and purchased them in North America before moving back to Ireland a while back.
    Still playing around with the setup but fairly happy overall. I would like to try good mains filtering but haven't the time or money at the moment.

Advertisement