Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with a Gateway computer, please read.

• 23-04-2003 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Gateway computer that I set a BIOS password on many moons ago. Now I want to get rid of the feckin' thing but I can't remember which key to press during the POST to get into the BIOS. Can anyone tell me?

Thanks,
    Bob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

DEL or F1.. depends on the bios version not the manufacturer.. easiest way if you forget the password is to clear the CMOS though, check your motherboards manual on how to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I have an old gateway lying around at home and it's F1. But thats an old BIOS so it may have changed.

DO you mean BIOS password or BOOT password, or both?

If you've set the BOOT password and not the BIOS passwd then you can just unset it in the BIOS

If you've set the BIOS password and can remember it then you can just enter it and unset it in the BISO.

IF you've forgotten the password then you'll have to get your motherboard manual (Should be available in PDF online). It'll tell you the location of the Password Jumper or CMOS jumper. Just boot with it in the correct position to clear the passwd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

on my gateway which is neatly 2 years old u press DEL .. however if u did set a bios password u'll be hard pushed to getin to ure bios with out it.. pull the battery off the board and wait 2 mins it might clear the bios password

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Jaysus... open case.. move the jumper for the bios into config mode.. the one you use to clear the cmos. Usually its 3 pins.. 1 & 2 for normal so move to 2 & 3 for config.. it puts you in the bios automatically and clears it.

Alternativly you press F1 on boot, not del not F2 or any other key. If you have a Voodoo 3 or you simply dont see the screen where it tells you to press F1, your monitor is not kicking in fast enough. so just press F1 as soon as your monitor light goes green and get into the bios to clear it (assuming you remember it.) if not you have to use jumper.

Dragul what Gateway do you have? With the exception of some old 486 systems ALL Gateways are F1 (Laptops F2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

Dragul what Gateway do you have? With the exception of some old 486 systems ALL Gateways are F1 (Laptops F2).

yeah which machine you got?
    I worked at Gateway for a year doing TS and I never heard of that:confused:

F1 is the way
    Jumpers-yep
    if you cannot do that then take the battery out for a few mins like da man said;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by juno75
    yeah which machine you got?
    I worked at Gateway for a year doing TS and I never heard of that:confused:

F1 is the way
    Jumpers-yep
    if you cannot do that then take the battery out for a few mins like da man said;)

Yep. me too.. Jeez theres more Gateway people on this board than I knew about.. thats 5 now.. Anyway F1 or F2 will get you in.

Otherwise, jumper on motherboard to clear the password.

Otherwise removing cmos battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Was sad to see 'em go :(

Anyway, there is, as was mentioned, a jumper (a small black bit of plastic joining two of three pins on the motherboard) which you move to join the exposed and adjoining pins. It should be on the Gateway support site.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yeah Gateway was great fun to work for :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Gaz

How many ex-gateway we got here ? Did 1 year in production and 3 in tech myself.

schhmoooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

sorry guys bad in fo from me... dats a 1st...i'll have to check dat when i get home the baby;s only about 1 and a half years old or so..

However if u want to knowhow to configure ure Win 2003 domain controller to use DFs now i could help ya there ...

Not X- Gateway but some of my m8's are though

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I got a Gateway machine but never had the 'priviledge' of working there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

I worked there from nov 2001 at clonsaugh ,that lasted for 2 months and woz nice an then the Tech support team was moved to clientlogic at swords which woz CALL CENTRE HELL.
    Learned a lot at gateway, good start point for an IT carearr I reckon.
    Only a select few had the privelage, hehehehe

:D

Advertisement