Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database / Address Book Software

• 23-04-2003 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some software that I can use to put an interactive addressbook on a CD, with pictures of all the people in the address book, and hand the CD out to people, and have it run on Windows. If it used a standard data format so it could be accessed from macs and linux (after they installed some kind of client), that would be a plus, but isn't necessary.

I tried a bit of googling for this, and I didn't really come up with much, to be honest...

Can anybody out there offer any suggestions or advice on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

nobody? Can anyone even suggest somewhere else to ask?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

i spose u cud use excel

I could, I could also use access, but I want something stand alone which people can double click on, run, and it works, regardless of what they have installed on their comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

maxheadroom,

Micro$oft have a viewer .exe of sorts for looking at word/excel/access files if owner doesn't have the full program. You could use that for windows. One double click on the .exe loads the viewer I guess.

For Linux, if the file is not password protected you probably could use it in Open Office. They too might have a viewer thingie to use (although it's free - no need from their pov). But maybe.... Hope this will give you some ideas? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Just use HTML? Stick a few webpages on the CD and you should be fine. People will be used to the interface and it needs no software to be cross-platform (assuming that Linux will read a standard CD - a Mac user could just run virtualPC).

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger
    Just use HTML? Stick a few webpages on the CD and you should be fine.

Yeah, but I'd like it to be searchable. I could get one of those Apache/PHP/Mysql jobbies running off it, but I'd rather not, to be completely honest.

Is there some kind of redistributable front-end I can stick onto an access database file to let people without access run it? They only need read-only rights...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

a friend of mine was thinking along the same lines and he couldnt find any thing suitable so he started writing his own c++ prog to do that (not sure how much he got done but will try to find out) so if you any good at prog think bout that option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    Yeah, but I'd like it to be searchable.

CTRL-F
    Originally posted by maxheadroom

Is there some kind of redistributable front-end I can stick onto an access database file to let people without access run it? They only need read-only rights...

I doubt it. You could use XML. It should be easy enough to develop a wee Java app to read in an XML file and search it.

Advertisement