Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cpu Fan

Options
  • 23-04-2003 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Is there a way of slowing down a cpu fan in order to make it less noisey?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Be careful not to under cool your CPU in an attempt to reduce noise.

Replacing the fan or HSF with a quieter model is one of the more viable options.

A fan speed regulator, rewiring fan connector to lower voltage line or wierd resistor based tweaks are possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Peats have a Heatsink/Fan Its the coolmaster X-dream
    Only €20 and rated up to XP2800+

Has an adjustable pot for controling the speed/noise of the fan, It works quiet well, I'm running an XP1800 @ 2000mhz and I can keep it on the low setting

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

Originally posted by deckie27

Has an adjustable pot for controling the speed/noise of the fan, It works quiet well, I'm running an XP1800 @ 2000mhz and I can keep it on the low setting

Sounds good, how quiet is it though. At the moment I have a cooler master (cant remember what model) with a fan running at 7800 rpm, the noise is mad. I can hear it from the room below it.

Peats can be a pain in the arse though I could go there tomorrow and they mightent have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Yeah I'd one of those fans for about 2 days! My washing machine made less noise. Changed it pretty quick. At most go for a 5000 rpm with decent temal paste.Its probably less hassle to get a new one. Check out the noise decibles. They usually have it marked on the packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by deckie27

ive one of these ive used it once but did not cool the computer to what i called a good temp even on the max setting .

but what processor do you have ? amd r intel ? you can also buy a small device that can reduce the power to the fan to make it less noizy but i would still go and get one of the quiet cpu fans

the above can be got in peats/maplins
    all else fails water cool it ;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by elexes
    ive one of these ive used it once but did not cool the computer to what i called a good temp even on the max setting .

but what processor do you have ? amd r intel ? you can also buy a small device that can reduce the power to the fan to make it less noizy but i would still go and get one of the quiet cpu fans

the above can be got in peats/maplins
    all else fails water cool it ;)
    What temp did it cool your cpu to?
    I have an athlon xp2100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Here are the specs of the afore mentioned fan

X-Dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

If the fan is on a mobo header then try Speed Fan. It's nice and free. If its a 4pin connector try the 7v mod. Thats free too, but involves some work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'd also recommend speedfan, it can vary fan speed based on temperature, and avoids any wiring. Supported chipsets and motherboards are on this page, if your board isn't supported it might still work, just not on the list yet. If this doesn't work...

If you are afraid of wiring, go and waste your money on a new fan.

If not, try the 7v mod. Fans normally run on 12volts, so 7volts will make it spin much slower. Its possible that it will be too slow, check your cpu temperatures after doing the mod.

Instead of paying through the nose for a fan with adjustable rpm's, just buy a "radio volume control" from maplin or peats for under a euro, and wire it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Dude , you should have heard the 80mm Black label delta fan that i had :( 747 on take off

• Advertisement

I bought this hsf today. Works quite well.
    Just a few questions though
    1) Should the fan blow air on the heatsink/processor or blow/suck it away from the processor?

2) Would it be ok to remove the chipset fan now (its fairly noisey)?
    what is an average max temp for a chipset?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

callan
    Should the fan blow air on the heatsink/processor or blow/suck it away from the processor?

Definatley have the fan blowing onto the heatsink.

callan
    Would it be ok to remove the chipset fan now (its fairly noisey)?

:confused: u mean the northbridge fan ?

COMBATCOW

Originally posted by Combatcow
    callan

:confused: u mean the northbridge fan ?

COMBATCOW

Yeah, Ive taken it off anyway, its running at 27c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

callan whats the zalman like 4 noise? it seems to be a lot of hassle (the way the fan is mounted & the speed adjuster thingy)is it worth it?

Its quiet even in normal mode. My computer makes about the same noise as my old dell petium II.
    It isn't a lot of hassel to install, so in my opinion its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

ive installed it now & in my opinion now ive actually done it, yes it is worth it & its a great heatsink/fan combo

Advertisement