Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iStream Starter - Take Up.

Options
  • 23-04-2003 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

I ordered this product on the 11th was told I would get my username and password within 24 hours. I got these details today (23rd). Interestingly 'biddy' told me that there was a delay in getting out the self-install kits and I would now take up to 15 days.

Now the point of the post. My username and password seem to indicate a particularly low take up, as the user name includes the first name of the account holder and the password is a word with a two digit number following. However 'number isnt very high and a friend of mines is equally low. Has anyone been given details which are not in this format?? This would suggest less than 100 people have taken up the offer to date!!

I cant beleive that take up would be that low.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

The password would include a digit for security purposes, and would not be related to account number, take up time or anything else.

(assuming an adult is at the controls)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

As usual, I dont explain myself correctly:rolleyes:

What I am saying here is the password is a word with a number attached e.g. 'adsl51' the 'word' seems to be the same for everyone. (at least the people i have spoken to)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

read the posts in here

the reason theres no take-up is because even though most people are connected to adsl exchanges, eircom refuse to give the service because the crappy online test say you fail

NO reasons just failed go away and never bother us again

Honestly you try to inform and this is what you get

SHIN

Its eircoms incompetence that force us to pay for sevices that we have no way of getting and are never likely to get

Thats why there no take up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I also got my first name (and a little bit) as username and a password that was suspiciously 'low numbered'.

I cannot believe take-up is THAT low. If it is, I might have the whole Palmerstown exchange to myself.

512k, 1:1 contention ratio for €55/pm? Way to go Eircom !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

I don't see any reason why people can#t have the same password if their username is different, it could be exchange specific etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

I concur. The manner in which the user names and password pairs are bing allocated seems to be numeric. In my case, the number was 27 (hey, it's not the sign of the beast!)

It seems that out of the database of enquiries, a limited number of people have actually subscribed.

I don't know how to do it in the boards, but I've seen people create polls. Can we have a poll to see how many people have actually ordered from the bad boys? Might give interesting results?

Waddya think? Moderator? Anyone? Hello?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 idnb

does anyone know if it will be possible to change our passwords as the one I was given would be encredibly easy for someone to guess if they found out just a little bit of information about me.
    I realise that it's not going to affect national security or anything if somebody got hold of it but I'd rather use a more secure password

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

It seems a bit mad what is being suggested, i.e., that the password is some word and that this word is being used for everyone with only a number at the end changing incrementally.

I would be amased if even Eircom were that stupid. It is just as easy to pick from a dictionary of many words and add a random number on to the end. There are also programs that generate a nonsense but pronouncable word that people can use.

Incendentally, on other threads, we have reports of the call centre being swamped with orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by idnb
    does anyone know if it will be possible to change our passwords as the one I was given would be encredibly easy for someone to guess if they found out just a little bit of information about me.

Well, the password can only be used from your own telephone line. I think there's an option to change your email password though. When I got set up initially with i-Stream, I already had an email account with eircom, so I have a different password for connecting and for email.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

We also have to take into account people signing up with Esat and Netsource, my be no one wants to go with Eircon for some strange reason ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Well, the password can only be used from your own telephone line. I think there's an option to change your email password though. When I got set up initially with i-Stream, I already had an email account with eircom, so I have a different password for connecting and for email.

Ditto.

the password i was given for the connection is extremely easy to guess, but you need to be guessing it from my line so i put away my tin foil hat and stopped worrying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by DSLinAbsentia
    I concur. The manner in which the user names and password pairs are bing allocated seems to be numeric. In my case, the number was 27 (hey, it's not the sign of the beast!)

It seems that out of the database of enquiries, a limited number of people have actually subscribed.

I don't know how to do it in the boards, but I've seen people create polls. Can we have a poll to see how many people have actually ordered from the bad boys? Might give interesting results?

Waddya think? Moderator? Anyone? Hello?

Usually i am loathe to allow a poll, but in this instance it might be interesting to see whos signing up for what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Ah go on, ya will, ya will, ya will :cool:

I think the latest sets of changes in the market are really exciting and yet nobody's capturing the data. Let's forge ahead with real data and get it published in our own bloody supplement. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Originally posted by DSLinAbsentia
    Ah go on, ya will, ya will, ya will :cool:

I think the latest sets of changes in the market are really exciting and yet nobody's capturing the data. Let's forge ahead with real data and get it published in our own bloody supplement. :)

Ah now DSLinAbsentia (nice nick BTW) a poll on the Irelandoffline forum is hardly real data, and would not prove much. Still it would be nice to see how people here are reacting to the current changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

I would seriously suggest that *if* there is a low take up, its not due to a lack of interest. I'd say its due to the poor availability. I know loads of people who would take BB if it were available to them. Of course eircon will go on the record and say that there is no interest and try use that as justification for not investing more in upgrading exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would guess that Eircom think they will get 120,000 people to take up their new Broadband product.
    Just a guess based on stuff;)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

by the way you can use your username and password on any dsl connection it is not linked to your phone line. i have tried mine on my friends and vice versa. so some of yous may need to take those tin foil hats out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

ENN article
    The Irish Times reports that Eircom has said it signed up over 1,000 new high-speed Internet customers in the week after the launch of its consumer broadband product. The company also said it dealt with 5,000 calls inquiring about the new DSL service. Eircom commercial director David McRedmond said the 1,000 new subscribers were divided equally between residential consumers and SMEs.

Advertisement