Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking xp 2100

• 23-04-2003 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

Tried to overclock my xp 2100 today. I increased the cpu clock to 150 from 133. When the comp rebooted, after a few seconds the screen went black (i did see that the processor was clocked near 2000mhz) and the stand by light went on. I tried rebooting a few times to no avail eventually I reset the cmos. It seems to be workin fine now. So what if anything did I do wrong, is this a common problem when trying to overclock.

I have a
    gigabtye ga 7dxr+
    512 ddr ram
    ge force 4 ti4200

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Either your RAM or CPU fan is the bottleneck. My XP1800 overclocks to a XP2000 no probs. Although, see no point in o/clocking it yet as nothing I use currently need anything more than an XP1800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Did you jump straight from 133 to 150? Not good as you found out
    The rule to overclocking is to move in little steps
    A couple of mhz at a time ?
    eg 134, 136, 138 ..........

Make sure the system can Load windows also very advisable to stresss test each step

Prime 95
    Is a good too for this
    You also have to keeps tabs on cpu temperature you driving the chip faster than is was designed for heat will increase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You can't just jump into overclocking, read up on it a bit first. You could destroy your CPU and even motherboard by messing about too much. There are hundreds of useful overclocking guides online, check out www.thetechzone.com and www.tweak3d.net for starters, after that google is your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

as decky said u moved to quick to soon
    put it at 140 and see what happens then . which version of the 2100 did you get ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Check http://eu.webmatrixhosting.net/Ocdb/ aswell
    I got 150Mhz outta the fsb on my one but no higher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,644 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

which version of the 2100 did you get ?

Important: if it's the palomino (most likely) then be careful overclocking cause it's the cpu in the xp family that gets hottest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah it is a palomino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I hit the same wall me motherboard wouldn't go past 150 so me 2100XP was stuck at 2GHz got me new motherboard so i will be setting it up tomorrow to see what me 2100 can do.

Advertisement