Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSI CD-Rewriter problem

• 24-04-2003 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

My cd-rewriter has developed some problems over the last couple of days. It had been working perfectly until the other night when i put in a cd and the tray popped straight back out again. It wouldn't read the cd. I tried closing it again a few times with the same cd, but no luck. I tried a different cd, still no luck. Tried closing the drive with no cd, it just opened up again. Eventually i got it to close.

I rebooted and tried another cd. The same thing happened. It immediately opened after i'd closed it. Eventually it read a cd, then i tried another cd and it wouldn't read it. Checked device manager, it said everything was fine. I went to the MSI site and found a new firmware update but i'm wary of trying that as i had a nasty incident with my old dvd drive.

I had been running XP Pro without SP1, so i threw on SP1 to see if that would make a difference. It didn't. Now today i try it again and the drive is closing and seems to be able to read the cd's but it's started making a whirring noise.

The drive was only purchased from komplett last november. It's the MSI CD-RW MS8348A.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? If i update the firmware and something goes wrong in the process, i'll be liable right? So should i just try and get the drive replaced?

Cheers,

Killian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭davemc

Hi K...It sounds to me as if your problem is hardware based rather than software related.....One thing....you do have up-to-date antivirus software on your machine??..if so run a complete scan but to me it sounds as if it's a hardware issue.....is there any way you could check the burner out on another machine??......this would resolve the issue either way....regards..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

It's definitely hardware based.
    It physically scratched a cd the last time i tried it.
    I've been on to komplett about getting it sent back.

Cheers,

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I bought the same drive. Had lot's of problems with it (burning). I'm in the process of returning it.

I never had a problem with it up until a couple of days ago.
    In fact i was very pleased with it.
    I found it quite fast and very reliable.
    It's a shame really.

How does the return process work?
    They don't seem to have that drive on their site anymore, will they order one from MSI?
    Or just refund the money?

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers,

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 sbro

sending mine back to, it does not always detect a blank cd-r is in the drive, my friend also bough one and just last week it smash a cd-r in his drive while burning.

• Advertisement

Ok, i hadn't realised there was such a problem with these drives.
    I did try a search for problems with this drive, but didn't find anything.
    I'll have to ask patman about the possibility of a refund instead of a replacement, as i don't know if i could trust the drive again.

Killian

Originally posted by K!LL!@N
    I never had a problem with it up until a couple of days ago.
    In fact i was very pleased with it.
    I found it quite fast and very reliable.
    It's a shame really.

How does the return process work?
    They don't seem to have that drive on their site anymore, will they order one from MSI?
    Or just refund the money?

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers,

Killian

Go to the site and request an RMA number to return the burner (not a problem). You can request a replace drive or your money back (which is what I did). If you need anymore help/Info let me know.

I've got my RMA number.
    How much did it cost you in postage to get it back?
    I know the PO box is only in dublin.

Also, if you get a refund, do they refund the delivery charge as well?
    I'll be losing money if i take the refund, and i'll still need a drive.

Killian

Just posted it today. Cost 6.50 euro. I'm afraid the postage is your bill.

Advertisement