Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voda Live on P800

• 24-04-2003 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Anyone out there know how to configure a P800 for Vodafone Live over GPRS?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

create the data a/c as detailed here:

this is for the t68i

http://www.vodafone.ie/live/config/index.jsp?handset=T68I&x=19&y=6

all config setting should be the same

you need a wap a/c and an internet a/c

the wap a/c is where the live! stuff goes.

the internet a/c is where the apn stuff goes
    make sure the wap a/c has the correct internet a/c set as default

wap a/c and internet a/c is located:
    select the right most menu option, on the top
    select tools from teh menu that says All
    select control panel
    select Connections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if you trying to get at Live! content on the P800, Voda seem to sniff the browser / phone when connection to http://live.vodafone.com, so on a non Live! handset (currently including the P800) I get this
    You have attempted to access the Vodafone live! portal, to access this site you must have a live! device, please contact your local Vodafone agent for more information on Vodafone live! To access Vodafone's existing WAP content please click here [links to wap.e-merge.ie]

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

When you access the live URL the site knows what handset your accessing the page from. Similar to the way normal web pages such as MSN do, i.e. give u a specific style sheet depending on ur browser.

I would use wap.e-merge.ie as it is effectively the same thing. Also, the P800 has failed Vodafone Ireland's software testing, specifically with relation to MMS. So it will be a while before it is officially supported!!

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Also, the P800 has failed Vodafone Ireland's software testing, specifically with relation to MMS. So it will be a while before it is officially supported!!

that's a pity - it really is a super device - keep being asked when it's coming out here - unfortunate our networks always seem to have more issues than those abroad :(

just wondering - apart from basic data and message/mail set-up and support - how far does 'official support' go - if a customer called up looking for assistace with bluetooth problems or issues with PIM synchronisation and other non-network related items - how would their query be handled?

as these devices get more and more functionality and features, i wonder at what stage the operators step back from supporting more than network connectivity issues

thanks,
    BrianG

Well to be honest, officially the network will support applications that are connected to the network. Bluetooth is well out of the realm of Vodafone for example, thats an issue between the handset manufacturer and the PC you purchased. In a situation like this you would contact Vodafone's Data Support or the manufacturer's helpdesk.

The operators have no responsibility to support the advanced features on a handset, all they will want to cover are the aspects of that handset that utilise the network.

• Advertisement

thanks for the info - would have thought Bluetooth DUN was a relevant enough query though - expecially if Bluetooth is highlighted in the handset features by an operator

atb,
    BrianG

They are advising of the features of the handset, they also advise of the handsets battery life. If the battery life is not what is stated, do you contact Vodafone or Nokia? I do be thinking Nokia.

its when the features are pulled into specific services advertised by an operator - it would be reasonable to expect them to be supported, for example:
    Access information almost anywhere - Connect Me is compatible with a broad variety of devices and connectivity methods including Bluetooth

atb,
    BrianG

I appreciate your point on that one. They provide the software by which a PC can communicate with your handset over whatever medium, cable, infraRed or Bluetooth. If this software is working properly and the network is working properly, the problem tends to caused by the Operating system and handset combined. They will provide you with information on how to pair two devices, and rightly so. You would also expect them to provide a degree of support if you are having problems and they do. But when it is blatantly obvious it is an Operating System and handset compatibility issue, you cannot expect Vodafone for example to provide suppport for this. Expecially when they have no influence over the Operating System and handset specifications. Its the same with any software and hardware compatibility.

i just expect if a technology is highlighted/advertised in such a way that it would be supported - that's why i though your battery analogy was a bit short! - thanks for elaborating :)

atb,
    BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by DubWireless
    unfortunate our networks always seem to have more issues than those abroad :(
    I don't mean to be pedantic here, but by 'networks', do you mean 'operators'? Just to clear up a couple of things. If you do mean that our networks have more issues than that of those abroad, then I can assure that that is not the case. Infact, Vodafone Ireland is one of the most stable networks in Europe i.e. among the lowest % of dropped calls/failed SMS's :)

With regards to the length of time it takes for the phones to launch in Ireland, it's all down to how stringent to the testing is. Vodafone UK,Omnitel & others may approve the first s/w releases on phones just to get the handsets out in the market and then choose to deal with the invariable bugs that pop-up after a while. Here, Vodafone *try* to release only the most stable versions.

The P800 hasn't been approved yet because there was new s/w released only few weeks ago & testing is still in progress. Generally speaking, a handset will not be approved unless it's good enough to insure that it won't cause too many problems on the network.
    i wonder at what stage the operators step back from supporting more than network connectivity issues
    You may be surprised to know that Bluetooth is tested extensively on a phone before it's approved. The 7650 slipped through the net because, unfortunately, it had to go on sale before Christmas, in order to shift some units. In many peoples eyes, Bluetooth doesn't have a bright future anyways :(

Originally posted by Fidelis
    by 'networks', do you mean 'operators'...

...Generally speaking, a handset will not be approved unless it's good enough to insure that it won't cause too many problems on the network.

just meant it's unfortunate we have such a lag between release and availability in this country compared to others - in a grass is always greener kinda way :)
    You may be surprised to know that Bluetooth is tested extensively on a phone before it's approved.

i'd sure there is some testing with some devices - extensive testing in terms of Bluetooth interoperability is a massive task due to the wide array of devices, silicon and software implementations

7650 wasn't as bad as the 6310 was ;)
    In many peoples eyes, Bluetooth doesn't have a bright future anyway :(

predicting the future - they are brave souls indeed :)

atb,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

i'd sure there is some testing with some devices - extensive testing in terms of Bluetooth interoperability is a massive task due to the wide array of devices, silicon and software implementations
    Car kits, headsets & dongles are tested for compatibility, with a protocol analyser for when things go awry. It's the best that can be done, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kevinof

They should try testing the P800 with a Nokia bluetooth - Surprise, it doesn't work!!!

Apparently Nokia use a "Handsfree" bluetooth profile whereas the P800 only has a "Headset" profile.

Car kits, headsets & dongles are tested for compatibility, with a protocol analyser for when things go awry. It's the best that can be done, I'm afraid.

that's fair enough - otherwise the people testing would be spending more time on bluetooth than anything else!

but even with those types of Bluetooth devices there are a huge variety available - so at best it's a limited exercise (that's why i couldn't agree with it being called extensive)

i'd have assumed PDAs with integrated Bluetooth would have made the list too?

atb,
    BrianG

Advertisement