Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application forms and Illeagal questions

• 24-04-2003 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Just got an application form for a security company.

They want to know everything short of what you had for breakfast!

Couple of questions:

1. Is it unlwful for a employer to ask for your pps number in an initial app?

2. Are questions regarding marital status outlawed? I dont see how if you are single/ divorced etc makes any difference?

Thanks
    James

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well mr bond, if that is indeed your real name....

with regards to security firms, then most companies will do an very in-depth search into your last 10 years history, regarding everything, including what you had for breakfast.

otherwise you could be a bank robber :)

many places ask if you are single or married. you are not allowed to discriminate on the grounds of marital status, however, there is no law stating that you can ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Another irrelevant question - whats your father's occupation??
    What does that have to do with anything! I got asked that one in my application for Hector Grays a long time ago :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Just write "Stand-up philosopher". That'll impress 'em no end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    well mr bond, if that is indeed your real name....

with regards to security firms, then most companies will do an very in-depth search into your last 10 years history, regarding everything, including what you had for breakfast.

otherwise you could be a bank robber :)

many places ask if you are single or married. you are not allowed to discriminate on the grounds of marital status, however, there is no law stating that you can ask.

But how long can they hold said information? If you dont get the job do they shred the forms?

Anyway, what sort of search can they do? There are laws preventing people from accesing data about other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    1. Is it unlwful for a employer to ask for your pps number in an initial app?
    Generally they shouldn't, but given that it is a security company, it can be argued they need to ask more probing questions. While the information will be needed for the employment, it isn't needed for the interview. However, shouldn't they do the interview before security checks? Are you being asked to sign a waiver to allow they do security checks and reference checks?
    2. Are questions regarding marital status outlawed? I dont see how if you are single/ divorced etc makes any difference?
    Again they shouldn't. The only time you are allowed ask questions relating to the various anti-discrimination clauses is on a separate anonymous questionnaire for the purposes of verifying non-discrimination.
    There was a case in the civil service where the used the above procedure (the anonymous questionnaire) and there was a complaint from a gay man that he was asked was he gay on the questionnaire. The finding was that it was legal, but that the only reason it was permitted was it was separate and anonymous.
    But how long can they hold said information? If you dont get the job do they shred the forms? Anyway, what sort of search can they do? There are laws preventing people from accesing data about other people.
    If it's not on a computer, forever. If it's on a computer, it must be destroyed when it's purpose has been completed (you don't get the job or when you leave the firm). But beware of waivers.

• Advertisement

Thanks Victor

The form said that they wont contact anyone without your consent.

I had a chat with a nice chap from the equality authourity and he told me that such questions are not allowed and the company can be fined up to €12,700 for each offence.

So If I dont get an interview I shall persue the matter with them.

No problem.
    So If I dont get an interview I shall persue the matter with them.
    Just be careful you don't get blacklisted (which could get you more compo). ;)

What do you mean victor?

What do you mean victor?
    Given the buddy-buddy nature of the "security" industry (and others) make sure that this guy doesn't tell his mates you are awkward (by making a complaint), thereby making you unemployable in the industry. Such behavior by employers is illeagl as secondary discrimination.

Saw another application form which is more daring in its outragoues questions!

They ask:
    1. PPSN
    2. Martial status
    3. Full Birth cert
    4. Passport if a non national.

All this is in the initial application!

I assume all this is wrong and against labour/equality laws?

anyone come across a similar type form before?

James

• Advertisement

Saw another application form which is more daring in its outragoues questions!

They ask:
    1. PPSN
    2. Martial status
    3. Full Birth cert
    4. Passport if a non national.

All this is in the initial application!

I assume all this is wrong and against labour/equality laws?

anyone come across a similar type form before?

James

if you are still going for security firms, then no.
    they can ask you for a full past 10 year history if they like
    to be honest, i wouldnt give you a job gaurding millions of pounds if i didnt know *everything* about you.....

What I am concerned about is the use of the information if one is unsucessful.

Do they destroy it? I wouldnt want companies that I never worked for to retain all that information.

anyway there are only limited checks that can be done, ie criminal record check thru GS but only with a special form signed by you.

Anything else is just data harvesting.

tbh, i cant imagine security firms having the inclination to keep your data in that fashion, howver, i guess if you are unseccesful, then you can call them up and ask them how long they keep applicant files and what happens to them.

tbh, i cant imagine security firms having the inclination to keep your data in that fashion,
    Some dodgy firms might.

Advertisement