Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do grinds cost these days?

Options
  • 24-04-2003 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Whats the going rate for Leaving Cert grinds these days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

tbh they can charge whatever they like,
    but i pay €25 an hour for irish(pass)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Yikes I've been undercharging :eek:!

I've only been charging about €15 for an hour, but I knew it was too little. Big softie at heart :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Im paying 20 quid a grind in the institute but I do 3 subjects.
    Im paying 30 quid a class for the easter courses.
    Someone should run an easter course for applied maths people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Cartman
    tbh they can charge whatever they like,
    but i pay €25 an hour for irish(pass)

HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS!

Are they one-on-one or in a group cartman? If it's the latter, you are being highly shafted - they better be the best damn Irish Grinds in the world.

FS, the amount people charge for grinds these days. There's a crew doing an unofficial crash course in Chemistry in UCD. They're charging €40 for a 2-hour session. And people are paying it. If they only got 50 people (and I suspect they'll get many more) they'll have 2 grand for 2 hours work. It's completely ridiculous.

No-one should have to pay more than €20 an hour for a small group (say 10). For groups of 20 or 30, you shouldn't have to pay more than €15 an hour.

"Shouldn't have to" is an objective term though. Most people will charge high, cos people will pay it. If you need cheaper grinds, try and get a hold of a college student. We're always ravenous for cash, and willing to charge much less for our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 loveheartsandnicotine

maths higher level E35.......one to one
    a grind school is 180 and add 90 for every additional subject

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

ye seamus i have them 1 to 1 and they are to be honest the best you can get...
    she got me from not knowing one word of irish[i mean that] to doing great in my oral in 4weeks and also passing my mocks in 3weeks.. i failed every irish test iv ever done apart from my mocks now she'll make me pass it so my parents dont mind forking out that.. also shes friend of the family's and tbh i thought €25 was cheap...:/
    heh well ta si go maith:)

cartman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Wow, theres a lot of money to be made out there. I suddenly got the bright idea i should start doing grinds and make some money but its probably a bit late for this year. Must study up and give them next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

A student teacher friend of mine was saying that the going rate is
    20 Euro for students
    25 for teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

€30 /hour Higher Maths is what I pay.

3 hours per week.

one Tuesday 6.15-7.15pm and 2 Wednesday 7-9.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ASISEEIT

If you have to travel to give the grind you could end up working slightly above the minimum wage .wonderful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

You also need to allow for inflation over the 15 years since the previous post.

Some of those LC students are 33 years of age now.

My mistake. What is current rates now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gronings

It will probably depend on the teacher who is giving the grinds.

I get maths grinds for an hour and fifteen minutes once a week and it costs €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

35 1 to 1 chemistary 1 hour .
    Lots of notes give.
    In teacher own house

I wouldn't leave the house for less than 35 euro for English JC. 40 at LC level. I do get grinds at that rate but really at 25 euro an hour with travel- it is below or close to minimum wage . As for Students or other non teachers plying their trade I have my doubts about how good they are or clued in. You get what you pay for.

As for notes kids seem to be impressed by notes but there is the world of study guides out there just as good.

Advertisement