Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to blag a student loan?

• 24-04-2003 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I need €1200 to pay off half my bike insurance for next year, and am going to borrow it from the bank, like I did last year.

Problem is, the bank doesn't like you borrowing stuff for frivilous spending (clothes, beer, new car) or for recurring spending (bills, insurance). Last year, I told them I needed €1500 for a 2 week holiday to go see my mates on the J1 in the US. It took quite a bit of bullsh*tting, as well as highly exaggerated costs for plane tickets and spending money.

So has anyone got any foolproof excuses as to why I should have a bank loan? I have a good credit record, as well as a healthy bank a/c, so the bank do like me, but at the end of the day, I'm still a student, so they wouldn't be too interested in giving me too much money.

:)

(Oh, and also a good reason why I don't just use the €1000 currently sitting in my bank a/c)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Plead imminent starvation and the High Cost of Living in Ireland.
    Worked for one of my best mates recently and he's now happily spending his 1500 Euro Loan. Oh and mention you will be starting a new job when you finish your exams.

AIB in UCD bought these anyway;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

'Well you see Mr. Burns my wife has a game leg and my kids they got game things too...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

i was talking with a aib person the other day and asked about student loans and she said as long as i have a garature they would be happy to give me money, so you could ask someone with a job or a house to sign as garature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Originally posted by seamus
    ...(Oh, and also a good reason why I don't just use the €1000 currently sitting in my bank a/c) ...[/B]

A credit union loan would suit your situation perfectly.

You lodge the 1000 EUR to the account, then get your loan - usually on the condition that you will not withdraw the 1000 EUR, however this is flexible I believe - The interest on the 1000 will lessen the higher rate on the loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

tell them you need the money to buy a pc for college work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

PC sounds like the best option especially since you're a Comp student.
    Credit union are also brilliant. The interest is dirt cheap and you'll also earn dividends on the 1k that you lodge. They'll also let you pay it back over a long time with a ridiculous low weekly payment eg. I have a 2k loan at €20 a month including interest over something like 6 years(the math is wrong, but you get the picture)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I thought they were throwing money at students/everyone @ the mo, desperate to get rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    tell them you need the money to buy a pc for college work
    Just the comment I was going to make.

"Er, yussor, I need one of them peesee things for me course like"

Sunds like the kind of thing they'd be OK with and it's even plausible, you being a comp student etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Detonated Sauce

I made 1100 euro working for 2 weeks on a construction site...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Any chance of a job then ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

why not use the money in your bank? they gave you a loan last year to go on holiday? your bank must be soft so don't worry about it. tell them you can't use your own moneey becasue you want to pay interest as it will improve you as a person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

banks are all to willing to throw you money *** m8. The prob most people have found is that they are now living way beyond their means and are fuked.

I really dont think you will have a prob if you tell them what it is for....paying off insurance isnt too bad...especailly if u have a good record like ya say. And 12oo is absolutley nothing.....i got 3000 to go to the states last year...i swear to god....i still payin it back!
    Alternatively get a credit card...they give u about a 1000 limit.
    Or an overdraft...ditto
    I have all these m8, and i'm only out of college a year...and got them all while i was still there.
    I had t upgrade the original 3000 to 12000 tho to buy a car :rolleyes: and somehow, thru all this madness, I'm doin alright :D.
    so think you'll be grand t b h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

oldposts.jpg

tbh

I got the loan on blag of a family holiday to go see a cousin get married (an actual half-truth too), and it's almost paid off at the moment.

Amoi, does anyone actually check the date of threads that suddenly appear out of nowhere? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

tell them u need it to buy conterceptives cos u dont wanna hav to get another lone next year to pay for the new baby equipment etc.

Advertisement