Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM questions....

• 24-04-2003 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, my saga with the crashing new computer has been solved, and the RAM did it. More accurately, it was old, cheap RAM that caused the problems:
    Machine came with 256MB PC133 DIMM. I added another DIMM with 128MB on it, which I'd bought a year ago. I'm don't know how fast it was (PC World special).
    I should really have twigged it when the 128 stick was composed of 16x8MB chips, but my 256 only had 8x32MB chips.

I had become suspicious when certain apps couldn't write to the HDD periodically, and defrag wouldn't run without crashing. HDD b0rked I thought. D/L'd diagnostic tools from Maxtor and Seagate. Performed 4 read/write passes over the entire drive, and no probs. The only thing left was the RAM. Removed my extra RAM, and hey presto, machine is running like a rocket (faster than it did before :rolleyes: ). So Win98 SE needs to be reinstalled (again, Win98 doesn't like it when you reduce the amount of ram in your machine, a problem I've had before), but I'm going to upgrade anyway :).

Why does this happen? Is it a hardware issue with two vastly different speeds of RAM, or is it more likely a Windows issue? And what's the best for me to buy now - basically the exact same as what I have in my machine, or would it be ok to stick 512MB more in?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sorry to be bumping....but I'm prolly gonna be buying RAM next week...so if anyone has the answers......?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

This Thread covers a topic very similar.
    The basic answer given here is that Windows 98 has never run properly with over 512MB RAM, therefore if you're gonna go for a larger amount of RAM then you'd be best getting a newer operating system.
    But I doubt you'd be prepared to go that far so I'd guess you'd stay with getting a new 256MB stick.

Advertisement