Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Sky Card - Technical Issues

• 24-04-2003 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey Guys,

Just to let you know, I got my new Sky Card today. I also have a Freeview/FTV Card. Both are working fine.

Is there anything new on the Sky Card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Oh. Is this the first person who already has a subscription to get a new card in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

I got my new card too today I am not a new subscriber and everything is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 darthdublin

I have been subed to Sky since last September. I got my FTV Card in January.I have got my new Sky Card today, and everything is working fine.
    I was not too sure if you were being sarcastic or not.

Anyway, hope that clear it up.Has no one else in the ROI got theirs yet??

I emailed Sky about 2 weeks ago asking when I will receive mine if thats any help.

Oh no, I'm not. No one here with an existing sub has seen the new cards... You are the first to post here that you have one. They're a comin'! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 skydigiman

Just to confirm , new replacment cards have been received all over Dublin

:cool: Marty

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skydigitalcards/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

Swapped about an hour ago, have all the channels but no listings, this normal?, maybe they'll come back in time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭andyr

A friend of mine in Ireland got his new sky card in the post today and after inserting it into the box it has disabled his FTV BBC Viewing Card now.

Any Ideas? Would a reset of the box do any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 redflag

Got my new card yesterday. Doesn't work. allchannels lost. Sky to send out replacement card within the next 5 working days. Sky customer services lady was not over surprised that the card did not work. My guess is that they are having trouble all over the place with these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

still no sign of mine yet
    not that im bothered, at least my old one is still working

if the new one doesnt work, will the old one still work (assuming you havent attacked it with a scissors:D )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

oh , the excitement of it all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I received my new Sky sub card yesterday morning,i have subscribed to Sky
    digital for about 3 years.Anyway i put in the new card,followed the
    instructions and that card worked no problem,but when i put in the FTV card
    (not the new type)it no longer worked saying that i should put in the new
    card and call the FTV phone number.

Anyone know what i should do,i rang the FTV number and pretended to be the
    UK address to which that card was issued to and the lady i spoke to said a
    new card would be issued soon.

So is it still possible to swap sub and FTV cards with the new type cards,i have the FTV card for about 18 months!

I live in Sligo by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Originally posted by zorro2566

So is it still possible to swap sub and FTV cards with the new type cards,i have the FTV card for about 18 months!

Yes . . . I have new sub and new FTV and they are swappable !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cliffcake

Glad to hear that above combo works. Are all the free channels there immediately, or do you have to wait for BBC1 to come in later on again? By the way, I waited a week for it to come in and a friend of mine waited 3 weeks!

My new card works perfectly as does the Free to view card <edit>grammar mistake!! ,
    am I one of the lucky ones ????????????

Last edited by johnnyq on 25-04-2003 13:23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

Originally posted by johnnyq
    My new card works perfectly as does the Free to view card <edit>grammar mistake!! ,
    am I one of the lucky ones ????????????

Last edited by johnnyq on 25-04-2003 13:23

johnnyq,

Is the FTV card you have a new FTV card or is it an old FTV card?

Just to let people know.
    My New Sky Card works fine with my FTV Card. My FTV Card is the new-er one, it looks exactly like the Sky Card. I think some people may be having probs with a new Sky Card and an old FTV Card.
    Anyway, just thought I would let you guys know.

By the way, how come ITV2 does not come in on the FTV Card??.Any ideas??.
    I had it temporary through the "other channels" for a while, but alas tis gone now.

Any ideas??

RIP ITV2 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cliffcake

ITV2 was never officially available, even with the FTV card, AFAIK. I read on other threads months ago that ITV2 appears and disappears regularly through the other chanels options (I got it as Ch. 3-9, or the likes last time, then it went off-air and showed only a test card).

It is a new card
    by the way what was the point of the new cards anyway ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I got my new P2 sub card today too but I havent even considered installing it yet because my FTV card is the older type! I'll wait a while I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

In anticipation of receiving a new Sky sub card. I thought it would be a good idea to get a new FTV card so I rang the FTV call centre and told the lady that the old card had been damaged. That was fine a new one will be sent out but then came the sting the old one would be disabled, it is still working this is an hour later. Has anyone else had this experience? If it was really damaged one would not know any way. She did say that this applied to the card being damaged or NOT!! I think she thought I might be lying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

The raeson she said that she was going to disable it was because you said that it was damaged.When you receive your new card ,you might be asked to return the old one to them as was the procedure before they started issuing the new cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Got new ROI card on Friday.

No change in how the Digibox works. Still can revert to FTA EPG if you repower mains with a cheque card or upside down card in slot (ignore the card is faulty message, and press guide or 181 after it has finished loading listings). As before if you remove "fake" card to have empty slot it reverts to ROI EPG.

Since someone can sell a digibox and then new owner have a different card, the Digibox will always work with a different card or give FTA epg on detecting a faulty card. With no card since Ver 3.xx SW it simply remembers the last card "married" to box to give EPG.

The card was disabled at 1830 yesterday. Thank God I've got a UK sub in the living room! I called at 1130 and the card was disabled at 1830,makes one wonder way it should take so long to activate a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by watty
    Got new ROI card on Friday.

No change in how the Digibox works. Still can revert to FTA EPG if you repower mains with a cheque card or upside down card in slot (ignore the card is faulty message, and press guide or 181 after it has finished loading listings). As before if you remove "fake" card to have empty slot it reverts to ROI EPG.

Since someone can sell a digibox and then new owner have a different card, the Digibox will always work with a different card or give FTA epg on detecting a faulty card. With no card since Ver 3.xx SW it simply remembers the last card "married" to box to give EPG.

Do you have a BBC FTV card and if you have , does it work after putting in the new sub card. I hav'nt recieved my replacement sub card yet, and I should be getting it soon but i am worried about not being able to use my FTV card after i put in the new sub card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

So has anyone been able to get channel five back after activating their new sub card? I'm not too bothered about losing the BBC channels (although News 24 would still be nice but they will be back soon hopefully), ITV or C4.
    I will really miss channel five though as CSI, CSI Miame and Boomtown are good.
    West Sat said they would send out replacement FTV cards once they arrive but to behonest I'll believe that when I see it and it was also mentioned elsewhere that new version FTV cards may not be issued at all.
    Any help getting channel 5 back on old FTV card with new sub card greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

Same story here in Ballina:
    a friend of mine activated his new sub card: and his old ftv card will not work anymore: message: insert new ftv card!

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    Do you have a BBC FTV card and if you have , does it work after putting in the new sub card. I hav'nt recieved my replacement sub card yet, and I should be getting it soon but i am worried about not being able to use my FTV card after i put in the new sub card

I bought a second digibox SH for 60Euro about 6months ago, so one card per box now.

You may have to repower the box at mains on/off with FTV card in it. Certianly this is the only way to get FTA EPG anymore.

I may experiment at weekend...

After all someone in Ireland might sell a Digibox to someone in NI/UK etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i got the new card today but have the old FTV card. i'm waiting until the old card goes dead. the thought of not seeing The Bill in widescreen worries me

Ok, there are two identical threads on the go at present, so can I ask people to note the following...

This thread here, is being renamed, and it will discuss the technical aspects of the new Sky card, i.e. is it working, did it fail to work, and those with FTV cards can discuss the issues.

The other thread, Have you got yours yet? will discuss only that, so that people who do not have a new card have a place to discuss.

Cheers,

DMC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

I have an FTV-only system, i.e. I'm not subbed to Sky at all. I originally bought my Digibox with an expired Sky sub card, which I replaced with a genuine FTV card at Xmas as I guessed I would receive one of the new cards. I didn't. The FTV card is still the old blue type and the serial starts '93-'

Does anyone know for sure if this card is going to be replaced or whether the FTV-card replacement was scrapped? I've read so many conflicting reports (and got conflicting reports from the FTV helpdesk)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navi_5445

Get a new viewing card and I already have a new FTV card. Both are working but FYI on the technical side:

- The new viewing card flashes "There is a problem with your card" message on install. Only for a second though it went on to work OK.

- Now whenever I swap in the FTV card it gives the "initialising the new viewing card" message and subsequently goes to "This programme is not available 08". After a few seconds keying in the channel number will work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Jimmyireland

I got my new sky card yesterday and when I inserted it I was told by the system that there is a problem with my card ....contact my broadcaster etc......

I did this and after talking to about three engineers it was decided that the software version 2.7bb.9 was not the correct version.

After another ten minutes convincing a supervising engineer that the box was not turned off at the power for some time, he eventually got me to force a download, but this did not work either as the version remained at 2.7bb.9.

They are now arranging an engineer to call to me to see why the box is not accepting the update.

Is there anything I should watch out for or be aware of when the engineer starts his explanation to me.

By the way the box is a Grundig Digital Box model No. 2.29, which is one of the first Digiboxes released in Ireland.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

there is a msg on radiowaves forum,
    it says to reboot digibox more than six times WITH FTV CARD IN DIGIBOX, then FTV (old) card will work with new sky card, worth a try?

Originally posted by arkles
    there is a msg on radiowaves forum,
    it says to reboot digibox more than six times, then FTV (old) card will work with new sky card, worth a try?

That sounds kind of unlikely to say the least...sounds like someone is trying to make fools out of people...I'm off to try it now :-)

Anyone tried this yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Its rubbish I've tried it and it dosent't work, any help how to get another FTV card

• Advertisement

Originally posted by TIPPTOP
    Its rubbish I've tried it and it dosent't work, any help how to get another FTV card

You could try west sat...

I'm waiting a few weeks to see if the forward on the replacement FTV cards like they said they would before trying to get a new one.

I'd like to get confirmation though about whether replacement FTV cards are being issued at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Three to go

Originally posted by Ludo
    That sounds kind of unlikely to say the least...sounds like someone is trying to make fools out of people...I'm off to try it now :-)

Anyone tried this yet?

The person who posted that message actually got their information from this board!

I've never seen that mentioned here before..... thats akin to freezing callcards for extra credit! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Three to go

I read it here myself yesterday and the poster referred to it in the post they made, but it has obviously been edited out by a mod.

It seems silly that it would work after so many goes, but people are getting desperate!

Myself - the two box solution is the only one.

If its the post here...
    the poster clearly says that it took at least six attempts for the new card to work. The box will always remember what card it is meant to have, and when you insert the new card, the old one is redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

I got my new card today and activated it, all channels working OK. However my FTV card, which is the new type, no longer works except for Channel 4. Has anyone experienced this problem? All I get is a message to "call this number to upgrade your subscription".

Mossie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mmc

Has everyone received their new FTV cards to their Uk addresses yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

I got my new card today and activated it, all channels working OK. However my FTV card, which is the new type, no longer works except for Channel 4. Has anyone experienced this problem? All I get is a message to "call this number to upgrade your subscription".

Just to update ITV is now working so maybe BBC will return overnight.

Mossie

Hey Guys,

I dont seem to be having any probs with my new Sky Card and my FTV(the new-er one). All the BBC Channels and ITV,CH4,CH5 are all working fine.

Is it just luck or what?

Hope all you guys can get your FTV Cards up and running.

"Be mindful"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by darthdublin
    Hey Guys,

I dont seem to be having any probs with my new Sky Card and my FTV(the new-er one). All the BBC Channels and ITV,CH4,CH5 are all working fine.

Is it just luck or what?

Hope all you guys can get your FTV Cards up and running.

"Be mindful"

When did you get the'newer one' in other words how old is it??

Originally posted by navi_5445
    Now whenever I swap in the FTV card it gives the "initialising the new viewing card" message and subsequently goes to "This programme is not available 08". After a few seconds keying in the channel number will work fine.

anyone with the older FTV card getting that message when swapping with the older sub card. i only get programme not available on premium channels, for instance, when i put on Sky Sports 1 before inserting the sub card

i am sure that this wasn't the case up until a couple of months ago. i am getting desperate now that my original sub card could die soon

Originally posted by mmc
    Has everyone received their new FTV cards to their Uk addresses yet?

Has anyone anywhere who has a working "original FTV" card been ever sent a "New" FTV card automatically (i.e. without actually pestering the FTV centre for a new one)?

I never heard of it...

Don't forget to keep your ORIGINAL ROI sub card when it is replaced as the last 4 digits on it, not the new card are the default PIN code for the Digibox.

Don't give it to anyone as they could run up a box office bill on your account, also Sky disables them in a week ot two after sending you the new card.

Also while you DO own the Dish, LNB, Digibox, you DON'T own the card. It belogs to Sky/NDS/BskyB. Even FTV cards too.

I actually asked the FTV centre awhile ago about replacement at that point the said they would not be sending new cards routinely only for damaged or lossed cards(though how one loses a FTV card without the losing the STB I'm not sure)

it is quite easy to lose a card. tell them a child took it out and lost it

• Advertisement
Advertisement