Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Sky Card - Technical Issues

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    it is quite easy to lose a card. tell them a child took it out and lost it

or flushed it down the toilet:D :D:D

give them a larf and they might be more helpful !;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

I have a Scottish FTV card, which I had activated about 18 months ago, in the days when you just gave the card number only, and it was activated.

My new sub card just arrived, and obviously I'm concerned that I'll lose my FTV channels if I activate the new sub card.

I have a second FTV card which came about three months ago, but it has the old Sky logo on it. It hasn't been activated yet. This is my question:

If I activate the new sub card, and then try to get my second FTV card authorised/initialised afterwards, would that new card work in conjunction with the new sub card??

Sorry if this is confusing, but only for the fact that my daughter is addicted to Cartoon Network, I would choose the FTV card over the sub card. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

There is a good chance that the card that you got 3 months ago might just be the new type card. I started to receive the new type cards in late January/early feb. Just because it has the old logo on it does not actually mean that it is not the new type. If the viewing card # begins with 1xx-xxx-xxx that as far as i know it will be fine.

All of the new cards begin with the number 1 and all old type begin with 0

With regards to your ftv card from Scotland you will lose that card on your Irish sub digi-box as soon as you activate your new Irish card. The best thing for you to do is to try and get a second digi-box and pair that card up to the second receiver if you really want to keep the Scottish card alive. One way or the other you will have all the BBC regions from June 1st but as far as I know the deal between the BBC and the SPL will mean that all the SPL games shown on BBC Scot will only be on the terrestrial bbc in Scot. This is due to the fact that Setanta have exclusive rights of the SPL outside of Scotland. Hope that this is of some assistance to you. Sorry for going of off the point slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mossie

Just to update ITV is now working so maybe BBC will return overnight.

All channels are now functioning so that scare is over:)

Mossie

Sky DigiKid - thanks for your prompt reply.

My new FTV card begins with '1', so hopefully things will be okay. I will activate over the weekend.

I know the SPL situation, but 'Scotland Today' on STV gives a good weekly roundup on Mondays, so it's still handy.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 darthdublin

When did you get the'newer one' in other words how old is it??

I got my FTV Card in January I think. It's exactly like the new Sky Card (looks wise). It seems to be working fine for me.

Also a quick question. My Friend has a New Sky Card and a New FTV Card. He only got his Dish installed about a month ago. So when he got his FTV from England, he took out the phone line and got the Card up and running(West-Sat took care of that). But low and behold Sky rang and told him that he must connect up his phone line etc etc....
    Anyway, can he leave his phone line in and use the FTV Card??Or will it case probs.

Cheers guys

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Sky Digi Kid
    Setanta have exclusive rights of the SPL outside of Scotland

If this is the case then how come both RTE and BBC NI have shown Celtic v Rangers games at the same time that Setanta are charging €12 to view them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Setanta actually have the rights to show PPV games involving Celtic and Rangers away from home. They don't have the rights to Old Firm games, the BBC and RTÉ do. BBC Scotland has the first choice of any games in the SPL to show live throughout Scotland, and as part of that deal, the Old Firm games are shown throughout the UK and Ireland.

Originally posted by DMC
    Setanta actually have the rights to show PPV games involving Celtic and Rangers away from home. They don't have the rights to Old Firm games, the BBC and RTÉ do. BBC Scotland has the first choice of any games in the SPL to show live throughout Scotland, and as part of that deal, the Old Firm games are shown throughout the UK and Ireland.

Setanta have some cheek charging €12 for games that are shown free elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 GillyS

I've got a FTV card that starts with 1 so it should be one of the new type but I just did the swap over to my my new ROI card and the FTV card is no longer working.

Back to watching BBC Northern Ireland again :mad:

Gilly

GillyS - what message did you get when you inserted the FTV card?

It's been suggested elsewhere on this thread that the card will take some time to reactivate.

I got the message 'Insert your new viewing card " etc...

Should I just leave it in for a while?

Gilly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The safest way to swap a card is with the box unplugged since version 3.xxx.xxx SW upgrade. Since then you can't revert to a FTA (not FTV) EPG with no card in box either.

A FTV card may need to be box according to some users for up to 4 days to "recover" BBC1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

after i swapped over to the new sky card some of my favourites were missing all of the rte's and E4 were missing

and the only prog left in my personal planner was Football Focus on saturday morning on BBC1

Called the FTV card centre this morning to activate new card.

They seem to have changed their set-up, it's become more automated. When I pressed several keys to talk to the correct operator, it then asked me to key in the 9 digit viewing card number, and after that it asked me to key in my phone number, including area code. I couldn't remember the phone number, so it transferred me to an attendant.

After waiting about 10 minutes, I spoke to some guy who asked me for serial number, name, address, and software version. I assume the channels will come through over the w/e, before I attempt to insert my new sub card.

Has anyone else come across the new automated system? What happens after the phone number is successfully keyed in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by Leesider
    Called the FTV card centre this morning to activate new card.

They seem to have changed their set-up, it's become more automated. When I pressed several keys to talk to the correct operator, it then asked me to key in the 9 digit viewing card number, and after that it asked me to key in my phone number, including area code. I couldn't remember the phone number, so it transferred me to an attendant.

After waiting about 10 minutes, I spoke to some guy who asked me for serial number, name, address, and software version. I assume the channels will come through over the w/e, before I attempt to insert my new sub card.

Has anyone else come across the new automated system? What happens after the phone number is successfully keyed in?

I think the safest thing to do is let the person who got you the card in the Uk activate the card or at least get the details ie postal address and phone nr from them (in the UK), anyway i didnt think you needed a phone nr for a FTV card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

My old FTV card stopped working also after using new Sky card. A new one is in the post.

I understand that over the air activation will work even with the wrong serial number for the box.

1) Can somebody confirm this as I don't want to use my Irish sub box number.

2) Is the original old FTV card still useful for ITV, Channel 4 & Channel 5 on a box that hasn't seen a new Sky card yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Setanta have some cheek charging €12 for games that are shown free elsewhere.

not really. where else are people going to see them. BBC Scotland show SPL games but only in Scotland. RTÉ show away Celtic games, they don't show Rangers games. viewers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland don't see any of these unless they can get terrerstrial overspill. Setanta do not show any of the SPL games where Celtic and Rangers play each other

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    BBC Scotland show SPL games but only in Scotland.

BBC NI show Celtic v Rangers games and afaik they are showing the Rangers game on Sunday this weekend.

RTÉ show away Celtic games, they don't show Rangers games.

They show the Old Firm Derbys and Celtic Euro matches.

viewers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland don't see any of these

Like I Said, BBC NI do show Celtic games

Setanta do not show any of the SPL games where Celtic and Rangers play each other

My original arguement was that for one of the Old Firm SPL games Setanta were charging €12 while BBC NI or Net 2 were showing the game for free. What I was saying was that Setanta have some cheek charging for a game that another channel can show for nothing.

Is it true that when you use your new sky card it old one is completely useless ?
    Even for FTA channels ?

• Advertisement

Waited 72 hours over the weekend for my new FTV card to activate. BBC1 finally came through an hour ago. My new FTV card begins with '1'.

Lo and behold, I then activated my new sub card, and the new FTV card won't work!

I just get a message saying 'insert new card' etc.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

An hour ago I had 2 FTV cards working perfectly (old and new type), now I have nothing. I don't want to go back to BBC NI's local stuff, and lose Ch4 again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by Leesider
    Waited 72 hours over the weekend for my new FTV card to activate. BBC1 finally came through an hour ago. My new FTV card begins with '1'.

Lo and behold, I then activated my new sub card, and the new FTV card won't work!

I just get a message saying 'insert new card' etc.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

An hour ago I had 2 FTV cards working perfectly (old and new type), now I have nothing. I don't want to go back to BBC NI's local stuff, and lose Ch4 again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Correct me if I am wrong, but should you have activated the new sub card first before you activated the new FTV card? I would be very interested in other peoples comments on Leesider's problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

was the old SKY card or new FTV card the last card in the box before u put in the new SKY card ?

try putting back ur old SKY card, wait for listings to appear rte1, net 2, etc

then insert new SKY card

when new SKY card shows listings put in new FTV card

if that wont work reboot box with new FTV card in it

i have a new FTV card activated for months
    i had no prob activating the new SKY card a few days ago
    both work happily together
    and i have seen loads of boxes with new FTV card activated before new SKY card

on another note
    anyone ever see a channel named "41 sp1 no listings available" listed above bbc1,2 etc when thet insert FTV card,

also i can never access sky active screens since i got ftv card
    sorry to go off topic

"Is it true that when you use your new sky card it old one is completely useless ?
    Even for FTA channels ?"

as far as i know the old sky card will work for a few weeks after activating new card
    FTA not to be confused with FTV channes are free without a card in digibox

good morn johnny see ur up early with the posts lol :)

This coming after your 4 posts;)

I waited until my new sub card was activated (and checked that RTE etc were okay). Then I inserted my newly activated FTV card, and got the message to insert new card.

I rebooted with new FTV card in, but still no joy.

I find it strange that several board members can freely swap the card with no bother, and it won't work for me.

Any other suggestions? I can't go back to BBC Enn-Oyy without the option of the other regions.

hi leesider
    maybe they will come in if u wait ? for a day or two
    gillys had the same prob ,wonder if his FTV card reactivated ?

Hi Arkles,
    I wonder if GillyS got the message 'insert new viewing card' or 'this programme is not available' or no channel lisitings at all?

Anyway, just called the FTV centre. The guy said it was strange, and he would re-send the signal. If it doesn't come through in 24 hours, I need to let them know, and they will send a new card.

Here's the crunch - can a new FTV card be activated AFTER the new sub card has been activted?

I have a feeling I'll find out soon....

• Advertisement

Guys,

I got the 'insert new viewing card' message and the FTV card still isn't working. However , I'm working on getting a new one...

Gilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

+++++++++Here's the crunch - can a new FTV card be activated AFTER the new sub card has been activted?++++++

Yes this is an interesting question. Could anyone who has got this dual set up going tell us in what order they did things with the new cards??

BTW Can anyone tell me how I get the quotes as in the last quote by robert muldoon??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by sayireland
    BTW Can anyone tell me how I get the quotes as in the last quote by robert muldoon??

it is very easy. push the quote button. it sits nicely beside the edit button

Went home at lunchtime, checked card, and still no update.

Called the FTV centre as agreed, told the guy that I had no channels. He asked me what message was on screen, I told him it said 'insert new viewing card etc'. He then said that this was a Sky technical issue, and I'd have to call them. As he was talking, 'BBC News 24' came on. I told him this, and he said he resent the signal. So I thanked him and that was that.
    All the channels were back. Then came the dilemma - should I try to swap with new sub card, and risk losing FTV channels again?

I tried it.

The sub card was okay. I tuned to ITV news, and swapped cards, waited a couple of minutes. I flicked through 501 upwards, but no BBC News 24 or Parliament in the search/scan banner, which was always the case with the old setup.

I had to power off the box, with the FTV card in, for the UK EPG to return. But I did and I had all the channels.

So, is this common - the EPG sticks to the sub card listings, irrespective of the FTV card being inserted on a 'common' channel?

At least I have the FTV channels back - for now!

GillyS - maybe you should call the FTV centre and ask them to resend the signal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭feldy

i got my new card in the post last week. installed without a problem. maybe i am just lucky....?
    have been a digi customer for a few years now. :)

Just wondering did you give your correct Digibox serial number when getting the fTV card activated?
    I have read of the database being checked lately.

Anyone know if a FTV card can still be activated by giving an incorrect serial number (eg swopping 2 digits) of the Digibox?

+++++++++Here's the crunch - can a new FTV card be activated AFTER the new sub card has been activted?++++++

And just in case there is any doubt the QUOTE button is at the very bottom right hand corner of every post

Enjoy!

So it seems that the new version 2 sub cards kill the old version FTV cards.

Is this scenario possible?

I have a box with both the version 1 sub and FTV cards working together. Can I leave the version 1 FTV card in that box and activate the version 2 sub card in a new box? My question is will the new version 2 sub card activate in another box (even with the help of a phone call to SKY) or does it automatically need to be activated chain fashion in the box where it's vesion 1 equivalent now sits.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭irishgeo

So it seems that the new version 2 sub cards kill the old version FTV cards.

Is this scenario possible?

I have a box with both the version 1 sub and FTV cards working together. Can I leave the version 1 FTV card in that box and activate the version 2 sub card in a new box? My question is will the new version 2 sub card activate in another box (even with the help of a phone call to SKY) or does it automatically need to be activated chain fashion in the box where it's vesion 1 equivalent now sits.

Thanks
    dont think that will work as the card is setup to be activated on the box the old card is married to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ring sky and tell them you have changed box. Give old card number and new box number.
    A few minutes on air and card is married to new box.
    Then upgrade to new card.

Originally posted by watty
    Ring sky and tell them you have changed box. Give old card number and new box number.
    A few minutes on air and card is married to new box.
    Then upgrade to new card.

Yeah great had thought of that but I'm wondering is it possible AFTER they have actually sent you the new card, I mean the new card has arrived but I haven't actually changed it yet.

Thanks

sorry guys still looking for answers to 2 questions

1) Has anybody activated a new FTV card in their Irish Digibox after inserting a new style sub card

2) Is it still possible to activate anew FTV card by giving the wrong serial number of the box?

If nobody knows yet then I'll answer them myself next week when I try it myself.

Originally posted by rovingrover
    sorry guys still looking for answers to 2 questions

1) Has anybody activated a new FTV card in their Irish Digibox after inserting a new style sub card

2) Is it still possible to activate anew FTV card by giving the wrong serial number of the box?

If nobody knows yet then I'll answer them myself next week when I try it myself.

Answer to Question 1:
    I have done so in the last week. The FTV card activated and then failed after inserting the new sub card, so I had to phone to get the signal resent. It's okay now, but I can't swap card like before. I have to power off the box and turn it back on with the new card inserted, as it remembers the Irish EPG. It's better than nothing, though.

Thanbks - looks like if you forget to power down when changing the card becomes invalid

Anyway better than nothing as you say.

I assume you used your correct serial number to activate the card. I've always done this in the past but read that checks were happening recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

Originally posted by rovingrover
    Thanbks - looks like if you forget to power down when changing the card becomes invalid

Anyway better than nothing as you say.

I assume you used your correct serial number to activate the card. I've always done this in the past but read that checks were happening recently.

There are people earlier in this thread who stated that they have been switching between New Sub card and New FTV card with no problems, I'm a little confused now.

I'm waitng on a new FTV card before I put in my new sub card, which should I insert first once I receive the new FTV card, or does it matter?

mfield :confused:

• Advertisement

A colleague of mine at work got his new FTV card this morning.
    It was attached to a letter that said 'insert card in box and all channels should activate'. And that's what he did, and hey presto, all channels, including BBC1 were instantly available.

And it works alongside his new sub card.

Is this relevant? No more waiting 3 days for BBC1??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

By the way, I spoke to BBC FTV Center last week. He advised that no old SKy sub cards would be deactivated at any stage.

Sounds good to me!!

Advertisement