Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dance Ad on Phantom????

Options
  • 24-04-2003 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

"high enery dance"
    What the Fúck?
    i'm sure you people have heard the ad for "the sticks" or what ever there called. and i was thinking will phantom play ANY ad for cash?
    is this one of the first steps to a money-making phantom fm?

i'm really worried! (and pretty pissed off)

What are you thinking phantom????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I think the way the ads come off the sticks think of them selves of a kind of indie dance band "they have live druming wow" in a kind of prodigy mould I dont think they are any good but there not as god afful as most comercial dance I think if they want to pay there money for an ad let them. Im sure you will be delighed to hear tyrrial to hear they are in studio on saturday i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

WHY???
    they're never played on phantom!?! and i really think it's streching the theme of phantom.
    what if s-club 7 or fm104 wanted to advertise on phantom? can you "buy" phantom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I heard the the other day the reason theve not been played a lot is they are new. I dont think its as much of a sell out as youre making out but yes it is slightly worrying but im sure somebody likes them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Tyriall, The Sticks have already been guests on the station. I don't know much about them but just because its got a beat dosen't mean we can't play it. In any case they are a long way from S-Club 7.

Tyriall, given the type of music we play and how we are generally perceived, do you think a dance band would honestly waste their money advertising on the station?!?

Finally, "is this the first steps to a money making phantom" ... what's wrong with making money?? And please explain what you mean by buying Phantom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

I agree with Brian D totally on this one. Should we limit ourselves to bands who have guaranteed lead guitar, bass, drums (stick not machine) and vocalist? Should we not advertise bands who are crossover artists between dance and rock? Should we not advertise bands who use samples and synths instead of "real" instruments? I really dont get your logic here.

The comment about this being the first step to a "money making" phantom is just daft. Who do you envisage would pay the (substantial) bills involved in keeping Phantom on air? Is it ok to have a "money making" phantom so long as it is making money from 4-piece-rockbands only?

S Club 7 would not advertise on Phantom because we dont provide them with a potential market. Sticks advertise with us because they think we do. Only time will tell whether they benefit from the ad. Take some time to learn before casting ridiculous judgements on Phantom. And yes, you definitely need to explain what you mean by the "can you buy phantom" statement.

And heehee, course we would let FM104 advertise on Phantom, feck it, we would even give them a discount :D

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

yeah!....throw some bleedin adds our way whilst yer at it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 fat toni

your dead right pete........add sales are add sales it doesnt matter if its for a 12 piece jazz band or one man and a bank of f/x units,and as for phamtom for sale i think tyrrial needs to pull his head out of his ass and take off the rose tinted glasses...im sure the bills pay themselfs in his house but as the rest of us know leckie and the upkeep of a station and equipment aint cheep...,sell sell sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

i dont think tyrrial is complaining about phantom making money so much as by the ad it sounds like the sticks are just typical dance, it doesnt make it seem like they are an experimental cross-over between dance and rock, just pure dance.
    im NOT saying they are, as i amnt familiar with any of their stuff and i dont want to make a judgment before hearing it, i think the ad was just a bit shockingly dancey for phantom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Sticks aren't a typical dance band they are a percussion band featuring your man from Kila. How many typical dance bands have got a Bodhrán player ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Never heard of them but the weekend section of the times or the indo or some high brow ****e said they be the band to name drop.......which means they are ****.....maybe:ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 taellad

i'm in complete agreement with tyrrial here: only guitar indie music here :rolleyes:

ok, i was being a bit extream, i don't really have any case when it come's to the money thing, i'd be pretty happy if phantom never had any money worries anymore. (as would many people)

i guess what i was trying to say was that the ad didn't say anything about alternative-dance-indie-thingy, or what ever class of music the band are said in. to me it just seemed like they were just playing typical dance music.
    considering that phantom don't ever seem to play dance it's confusing as to what martketing team decided to advertise on phantom. i just don't understand what kinda of music phantom want to be playing. is it simply anything that doesn't get played on the other radio stations?

just a quick note:
    tyrrial needs to pull his head out of his ass and take off the rose tinted glasses...im sure the bills pay themselfs in his house

if you knew anything at all about me you'd understand how funny this is fat toni.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 taellad

Originally posted by Tyrrial
    the ad didn't say anything about alternative-dance-indie-thingy, or what ever class of music the band are said in.

does the class of music the band are really matter tyrrial? here's an idea: listen to a band/dj/whatever without reading the music press, or putting them in to some label or pigeonhole (indie/dance/post rock/whatever) and make up your own mind

at last now were hitting pay dirt,lets throw a big spanner in the works and start the old rock vs dance brawl.first of all as far as i know phantom fm is an ALTERNATIVE MUSIC STATION.not an ALTERNATIVE INDI STATION,at what point does rock/dance become dance/dance and vice versa.is it cool to play death in vegas{guitar/bass/live drums},or grove armada{guitar/bass/live drums} and not the chemical bros or fat boy slim?????dance like rock has alot of different styles and forms...for this fact alone it is stupid to state that phantom should be a dance free zone,think about it what if nu-metal types said that phantom shouldnt play indi or punk or classic rock etc etc,the reson i love phantom is not that they play what other stations dont play,its because of the music that they do play.....theres enough room for all sorts,if it was all one way or the other it wouldnt be phantom....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Yeah, we haven't had a good debate in ages. Come on!

I'm surprised someone didn't just play this first.

muppet.jpg

ok, it's grand to have a debate about this but will you leave the mud sliging out of it, just make you point and try a bit of maturity and lay off trying to offend me, i didn't start this post to piss of anyone or to be used as something to take your PMS out on thanks.

so:
    what do phantom play exactly?
    is it simply whats unpopular?
    music will always be labeled, so gety over it!
    and whats wrong with that?

hey shorty found a nice card for you to:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

I too have trouble expressing my opinions.

A picture... expressing an idea or feeling?

just maybe...

TO be honest i'm not a dance fan... or a KILA fan...

To be honest if a dance act wanted to pay phantom to advertise on the station... well whats wrong?

The dance act are "paying" phantom to promotoe their **** act.

Phantom get the money and i get another ad to ignore...

You don't give out when There is a tampon/Pot noodle ad on between the star trek breaks... do ya?

or do the tampon ads make you express doubts on your sexuality and choice of lucozade flavour...

unless you're a girl and then i'm a bit lost in the water of advertisement...

who is the marketing manager in phantom?

thats a **** job btw...
    sorry hehe

not to be in "phantom" just to be a marketing manager.

btw the british in "the patriot", they seem like they're in league with the devil....

right on raggamuffin......ever thought of going into advertising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    You don't give out when There is a tampon/Pot noodle ad on between the star trek breaks... do ya?

as someone who knows tyrrial, i can honestly say he complains about EVERY ad that he comes across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Mewzel
    as someone who knows tyrrial, i can honestly say he complains about EVERY ad that he comes across.

hmmmm

didnt need to know *that* much about his sex life*

*oh come on. you were asking for it to be said!!!!! ;)

what has a tampn got to do with a "sex Life"...

i thought they had to do with "nature"... and not being knocked up..

umm... how a thread about an ad on phantom has turned into a comment on my sex life will remain a mystery for all time.

but i must admit that.... i have a habbit of hating all ad's....ever. i can't help it! i must have something against marketing teams!

i hate the laziness fo marketing teams, and their up-beat nature.

Some ads can be funny but has anyone heard that "we'll come up with a name for your band" ad???

My god... it's so embarassing...
    i had to apologise to my dad for switiching it on and changed it back to AA roadwatch

I guess it goes to show you that real evil in this world comes from the marketing section of the econimy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hey Ragamuffin!

Youre not supposed to be listening to Phantom since we sold out to MCD remember? Jaysus do I have to keep reminding you ;)

Im going to can this thread later on as its wandered hopelessly off topic even by this boards standards!

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

sorry tyrrial there was a very good reason why it happenned
    im a dirty bitch

anyone who been chatting with me of a sunday night (i aint been in ages) will know that....

well i guess i'm just going to have to start a thread about my sex life if this one's going to be shut down....

pete if u can it i'll put mentions of boobs in every single post from now on :):):)

seriously though, can u not just lock it instead of canning it coz thats what most of the other mods do and it means my post count doesnt go down and me and JNl are having a race...:)

this post would have been an interested debate if i had contributed to the meandering off topic (ok...so it wasnt so much meandering as sharp turns right and left)

• Advertisement

after looking back it seems the whole thing went off target somewere in the middel of a post by the drowner..... what do you have to say for yourself?

something off the topic i suspect?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement