Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL routers

Options
  • 24-04-2003 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hey, another quick Q.

Instead of getting the ethernet-modem that netsource are offering, could I use the D-Link 504 ? its a combined ADSL modem and 4 port router .

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2001/q4/dlink_dsl504.asp

All you do is hook up a regular ph jack into the ADSL RJ-11 socket ? (after getting the router to work with one of your computers first that is) :)

So, when netsource say their hardware is all pre-configured, theres not really much to configure at all ? And all they do is, in a ways, activate your phone line at the exchange for radsl ?

Tell me if i'm wrong here will yis :)

thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

As long as it supports PPPoE you're cool. You'll need to get the VPC/VCI numbers for their service and some other information like IP, Netmask, Default route, DNS etc... They should be able to provide you with these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

I was going to go for the 504, but got the Zoom 5560 x3 for EUR100, which is similar (Modem/Router/Gateway), but with only one port; combined with an 8-port 10/100 switch for EUR50 from ItDirect. It ended up cheaper, less wiring around the house and the switch is good to have for LAN parties etc. Might want to check 'em out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

http://www.netsource.ie/html/support.html
    ^ ^
    Details of the Via Service

DSL

VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Protocol: PPPoE
    Encapsulation: LLC- Based

Advertisement