Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dsl & wireless networking

• 24-04-2003 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on getting dsl from netsource so I'm going to need a modem. I also need to get a wireless network installed and I was hoping to get it all on one. I will need to be able to connect 2 comps to it using normal wires (& one wireless) but as soon as I can afford it those 2 will be going wireless too. Thing is though, I don't even know where to start looking. I've tried looking at reviews on the web but I'm getting totally lost in the details. Does anybody have any recommendations? What should I even be looking for?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

dont have time to give more details but log on to irishwan and midwestwan on IRC[details are in my sig] and have a llok at irishwan.org and the forums they will show you what to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks but what I ment was a wireless home network. I might set up some sort of node at some point but due to very limited funds I will be concentrating on getting the pc's in my house online first.

thanks anyway though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

the irishwan can help you out with a home network aswell its the same idea only smaller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

Jazz is also getting this setup. If he ever gets off his ass and does it.
    I'm guessing that you are looking for a miracle product like this one

also,
    http://www.readycrest.ltd.uk/actiontec/wireless/index.php
    and of course
    http://www.readycrest.ltd.uk/actiontec/wireless/pciinfo/index.php

still though - head on over to irishwan - the people there have experience with buying kit /etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

Hi John,
    you should contact Athlone-based company Last Mile Wireless (Contact details are available on their site http://www.lastmile.ie). They provide all sorts of wireless solutions and have a product that can share a DSL connection very easily over wireless. (It's not shown on their site though.) I have dealt with them in the past when getting a home wireless network set up, and they were very helpful with decent prices as well :) .

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions :)
    I'll have a proper look at everything over the weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Yup I've ordered the DG824M from Elara, and I'll probably get the external USB wireless adapter from Komplett for the various laptops to share, as well as one of their cheap wireless cards for the other machine upstairs. They're around €60 each. I think should take care of everything.

Isn't wireless great? :D

After looking at a few places that DG824M does seem to be the best bet :)

thanks again for all the suggestions :)

Advertisement