Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid and the Big Ron

• 24-04-2003 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Yes they were the better side over the two legs Madrid and it is great to see a footballer who lost the run of himself for the WC Final in 98 and then go on to die in Italy, come back after being signed to sell jerseys and merchandise and put in the type of performance that he did. Yes people were at fault but you have to get in and get the goals.

It is sad though to see a team like Madrid being supported by people who believe that their club has a God-given right to win everything and to play well at the same time regardless of the amount of games your players have to play, WC's they've come backfrom, friendlies in Outer Mongolia etc,etc. It's no surprise that our big Ron was getting booed and whistled not just two games ago.

If Real Madrid are the best team at the moment fine but a lot of their fans will always be the most unsporting and the least supportive.

When Madrid celebrated their centenary final last year they played the Spanish Cup Final against Deport in the Bernabeu. They go a goal down, a man down, both very harsh decisions, and the place is like a grave. Not a reaction that you might find elsewhere.

Being the best team in the world is not only about having the best players. Remember that the money for these players is recouperated by good merchandising, Madrid get 50% of the shop price of all the jerseys they sell and the newly signed players don't actually own the rights to their own image. Why has it taken so long for this money machine to crank into action? Madrid as a business was a shambles for a very long time.

Not only that but until recently Madrid were in very serious debt until the new president came along and did a controversial deal with the local givernment officials to be allowed to sell the land their training ground stands on and which is just off the biggest street that runs through Madrid. Considering the fact the the government still have some members from the days of Franco and Madrid were always the team of the regime, this is no surprise.

A great club is a hell of a lot more then the goals you see but good luck to them. They won't find the Italians so generous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Everyone keeps saying that but I disagree. How many goals did United score against Juve over tho legs earlier in the campaign? 5 goals, and that is when United were not in great form. I think Real will beat Juve and beat them fairly well. I think Real v Ac Milan in the final would be a cracking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by sayireland
    It is sad though to see a team like Madrid being supported by people who believe that their club has a God-given right to win everything [/B]

You could say the exact same thing about your average ManU supporter. Only difference is Real do (almost) have this god-given-right to win - as their haul of 9 european cups and LITERALLY thousands of trophies at the Bernabeau will testify to.

And I don't see what your problem about Real Madrid and their supporters is? Madrid have seen (as clubs like ManU have) that the key to football success is money and not how loud your supporters chant for you. Sad as it is that is the way of the game and Madrid don't hold the monopoly on selling out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

His problem, which he never mentions in his anti-Real rants, is that he's an Athletico Madrid supporter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    His problem, which he never mentions in his anti-Real rants, is that he's an Athletico Madrid supporter :)

You can swap Real for United and Athelico Madrid supporter for Leeds/Liverpool/ABU twat.

Originally posted by SprostonGreen
    You can swap Real for United and Athelico Madrid supporter for Leeds/Liverpool/ABU twat.

The main difference being that anyone in here who is a Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle or whatever else supporter and who doesn't bow and scrape before Manchester fu<king United, has made their choice of team plain by now.

But with you being about the thickest Man U supporting twat that posts in here Sproston, I wouldn't have expected you to notice that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

c'mon the toon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    The main difference being that anyone in here who is a Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle or whatever else supporter and who doesn't bow and scrape before Manchester fu<king United, has made their choice of team plain by now.

But with you being about the thickest Man U supporting twat that posts in here Sproston, I wouldn't have expected you to notice that :rolleyes:

Right I've read that and re-read that. Apart from the piss poor grammar, it makes little sense.

bow and scrape, wtf are you talking about ?, what supporter would bow and scrape before United ?

their choice of team clear by now, have I not done so ?, do I care what a twat like you thinks ? - no, of course not.

You are a thick stupid c'unt, who thinks that any United fan is fair game for abuse.
    F'uck off you c'unt-faced wanker !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You are a thick stupid c'unt, who thinks that any United fan is fair game for abuse.

Oh shut up. If you cant have a debate/arguement/disagreement without name calling then kindly **** off, we don't need it here.

Originally posted by SprostonGreen
    Right I've read that and re-read that. Apart from the piss poor grammar, it makes little sense.

What piss poor grammar? Oh maybe you're talking about this sort of thing.....
    bow and scrape, wtf are you talking about ?, what supporter would bow and scrape before United ?

their choice of team clear by now, have I not done so ?, do I care what a twat like you thinks ? - no, of course not.

Well you certainly told me there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

Well what can I say, Madrid were different class over the two legs and Ronaldo was amazing. But I was glad to see John O'Shea was the best Utd player in the first half and for him to nutmeg Figo, Van Nistelrooy also done good aswell - I think hes actually got better as a player since coming to United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

******You can swap Real for United and Athelico Madrid supporter for Leeds/Liverpool/ABU twat.****

Apart from the fact that you are a rude mother, the day you come to Madrid and see for yourself I'd be the first to buy you a drink.

BTW it's Atletico not Athletico.

Yes Madrid were class but you would never see the greatest team in the world taking 33% of a football stadium for a semi-final like Munster did today in rugby and countless lesser football teams would if they had the chance.

Here in Spain the state of Raul's headache will get more news time than Spain winning a Davis Cup, Sergio Garcia winning a Major, Indurain winning a Tour de France etc, etc, etc etc.

Sport is to enjoy, to be gracious in defeat and when you win not a badge to be worn on the good days and to be left in the cupboard when things don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

can we get back to the fighting please?

Advertisement