Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Ireland Supplement in Independent

Options
  • 24-04-2003 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I know it is almost Friday now but the Digital Ireland Supplment in todays Indo (24 April) has some very interesting commentary and is well worth read. If you don't manage to get it, www.siliconrepublic.com has all the articles. It is just harder to find them all on their page.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

at least it was sponsored by siliconrepublic and not the usual eshat or eircon sponsored inane drivel. there may be a miniscule chance of some objective journalim for once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Everything I have read in these supplements to date (they are monthly) seems to suggest that they are fairly objective. They come out in the Indo on the last Thursday of every month.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

at least it was sponsored by siliconrepublic

Just to clear it up, Digital Ireland is produced by Silicon Republic. Aside from the site, we're syndicated once a week in the Indo (EThursday, Business supplement) and once a month with Digital Ireland (separate supplement).

Dick O'Brien
    Silicon Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

How come the vast majority of your stories (on the website) are positive?

I mean, if I go to ireland.com or bbc or whatever, I get death, doom and destruction.

You guys have words like "flexible friends", "enabling", "lighting up", "future of computing", "ireland wises up", "first trading profit", "new generation", "major alliance to create", "embraces", "upgrades to tier one".

You're not just cutting, pasting, and frilling press releases?

flav0rflav
    (AKA negative)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

flav0rflav, this is kind of a tricky one to answer. Needless to say, I'm posting as an ordinary punter and not acting as a spokesman for my employer.

While I wouldn't say we're absolute cheerleaders, yes we probably do feature a lot of positive stories. A lot of it may do with the fact that we're solely focussed on the tech business and our aim is to inform our readers on what's happening in the sector, so we do feature plenty of stories on Irish companies winning new contracts etc.

The BBC and Ireland.com are much broader news organisations and as a result are far more focussed on general economic and business issues.

I don't think we're blind to the fact that the economic climate isn't terribly good at the moment and to my mind we've published a fair few stories containing bad news too.

Dick

• Advertisement
Advertisement