Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classics

Options
  • 24-04-2003 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

From reading other posts it seems a good few people are doing Classics this year...

The 4 topics I'm doing are:

-Alexander
    -Epic: Odyssey/Aeneid
    -Roman Art & Architecture
    -Greek Drama

Just wondering if any teachers have suggested possible questions for these topics?

As far as I can see, Hydaspes or a question about sieges seems likely for Alexander...

Any ideas? :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Predestination and freewill is always one to look out for in Medea.

Im doing the peloponnesian war and the republic and its soo much easier its great ;)

We've been concentrating women, in the epics, but in fairness we've pretty much covered every question under the sun :)

Great subject 'tis

p.s if you wouldnt mind, how many plays are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Oh 'tis a wonderful subject :D

I mean women and their infant children being roasted alive on braziers... is there any more entertaining form of revenge? :D

And considering that Accounting was the alternative for me... :shudder:

Doing 3 plays:

Medea, Oedipus and Prometheus....

I think a question on the role of the Chorus is due on one or two of them....

I should really take the time to read the past papers instead of the LC board... ah well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Originally posted by PHB
    Predestination and freewill is always one to look out for in Medea.

Im doing the peloponnesian war and the republic and its soo much easier its great ;)

We've been concentrating women, in the epics, but in fairness we've pretty much covered every question under the sun :)

Great subject 'tis

p.s if you wouldnt mind, how many plays are you doing?

Thats just what your told by your teacher :)

Alex the great and pelo wars are about the same. But architecture is a hell of a lot easier then the republic any day :)

Frogs is a good one to read if you got the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Duffman you arent in the institute or belvedere? were doin the exact same topics....

havent a clue that much as to whats comin up but with a good knowledge of the texts should be all right, weve practised nearly all the possible questions.

the art/architechture is one that could surprise you tho, but the questions are so easy and there is so much choice....

Originally posted by nesthead
    Duffman you arent in the institute or belvedere? were doin the exact same topics....

Nope, but I think they're the most popular topics.....

Hrm.. in architecture, town plan of London hasn't been asked for years and Paris has never come up.... I think both are *very* possible.... As far as I can see the town plan questions have followed a fairly regular pattern over the years...

• Advertisement

I've got friends doing alexander and they've got twice the amount of stuff to cover.

I find the republic really easy but apparently architecture is also fairly easy

I'm gonna assume we had the same teacher :) (China?)

I know both Alex and Pelo the thing is there are just more battles in Alex but they are easy to remember. THe pelo wars has alot of little people popping in and out of it alot :)

Easy to confuzzle them ya know.

Also if you actually read the republic and not have the stuff she feeds ya then its a much harder topic :)

Ah but Alexander can be oh so entertaining.... like that time a boy with "an absurdly ugly face but an agreable singing voice" was set on fire for Al's entertainment.... After a few minutes he "became concerned for the boy's safety"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

my teacher seems to reckon a question on the role of teiresias is due up for oedipus.
    and what exactly is frogs about? thats the play that we're not doing and the title has always had me interested :)

I did read the republic :)
    Tis easy :)

• Advertisement

Yep, heard Tereisias was one to watch too....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

-tragedy
    -epic poetry
    -roman historians
    -philosphy

has anyone actually done "frogs" or the "thein" [sp?]??

im thinking in tragedy qustions will come up on secondary characters [ie tierises]

historians possibly augustus.

philosophy is simple, altough i have yet to read [or get my hands on] the letters, must get on that.

apparently a comparison of characters ques is likely for epic also. eg. penelope vs. dido, laertes vs. anchises etc

Watch out for a comparison between the features of the primary and secondary epic too...

Hrm... the subject is more popular than I thought... :)
    At least on boards anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

im doing classics too
    roman historians
    greek drama
    ancient epic
    roman art and architechture
    im having an awful time trawling through that art and architecture book, my teacher really isn't much of a help. i really like classics, i find it quite interesting, but its almost like a second english, there's alot to do.
    maybe its just coz my teacher sucks :(

Originally posted by Seraphina
    im having an awful time trawling through that art and architecture book,

Oh God, the book by Wheeler? Poor thing... we just use that for illustrations and read from notes instead... the language in the book is horrible... The man writes for pages wothout actually saying anything....

Just out of interest, whats everyone aiming for in it?
    Im aiming for a B1/A2 as thats my average grade?

im aiming for an A1. i usually manage to get full marks on my essays except for the greek drama section where i get A2s, but i figure (hope) it could average out to an A1 on the day :)

or maybe im aiming too high...... :(

Hrm... got an A1 in Drama and Architecture in the mock... screwed up Al. and Epic due to lack of knowledge about really basic stuff... brought me down to a B... Like to think could get an A... I need an A :(

kinda off subject but does anyone by any chance know where i could get some notes on prometheus bound? its my first time doing this text and itd probably help alot. :)

• Advertisement

just search on the net, its cheaper and if u look hard enough u can get some really good ones :)

Everyone cant get an A :(

Luckily Prometheus is probably the easiest text to study without notes....

Just read through it a few times... pick out a few quotes that reveal things about the characters....

The main theme to consider is Zeus and his power... look out for the attitudes ppl reveal towards him....

Oceanus says "We are ruled by one whose harsh and sole dominion none may call to account"

And every other visitor to Prometheus seems to have suffered/lives in fear as a result of his actions...

Then sort of consider what each character actually does in the drama... like their functions... what do they reveal about others? How do they develop the plot/themes..?

</unhelpful rant>

Originally posted by PHB
    Everyone cant get an A :(

Yes, away... all of you! stop working!! Leave my points alone...

What a wonderful system we have... we're all enemies.... We all want and need each other to fail.....

:ninja: <-- hrm... that's not quite sinister enough now, is it?

PB is very short :) Just read it.

I've got notes on it some place. Gotta find some for a m8 doing Cs in college. I'll scan what I got and give them to anyone who wants them

prometheus does seem pretty straight forward and its easy to read, but i didnt do it last year and we've only started doing it now so i feel a little under confident on answering on it cause im so much less familiar with it than the other texts. :ninja:

Don't worry bout it... questions tend to repeat too so do a few from the papers and you'll be grand...

this thread is gettin a little elitest, it sounds like were a bunch of pompous **** who only care about oedipus' role as a free agent, despite his subordinate position in the universe.

[btw, if u read the write notes, anyone can get an A, its a piss easy subject]

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    this thread is gettin a little elitest, it sounds like were a bunch of pompous **** who only care about oedipus' role as a free agent, despite his subordinate position in the universe.

nah, we sound more like Leaving Cert Classical Studies students tbh.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Captain Planet

Nah...everyone really cant get an A, the stats for A's in classics are among the lowest of all the subjects (1.3% methinks) what you should be worried about are incompetent correctors who dont want to make their results look too out-of-place.

Advertisement