Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car stereo shop/site?

Options
  • 25-04-2003 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Looking for a good price on a new car audio system.
    Any recommendations in ireland or abroad?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 evilmouse

Try www.securesounds.ie. There based in Cork and Waterford. Give www.autozone.ie a shout as well. Subsidiary of PR Reily in Dublin, big motor factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

http://www.icetronix.com are worth a shot as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

There is also Jonesboro market on a Sunday.... ;) Del Boy style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Incarexpress

I highly recommend the above, bought 2 systems from them with no problems at all. Last system was pretty high-end and they were 300euro cheaper than anyone in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

cheers lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    Incarexpress

I highly recommend the above, bought 2 systems from them with no problems at all. Last system was pretty high-end and they were 300euro cheaper than anyone in ireland.

€ 300 cheaper?
    That's a bit hash, don't you think.
    We are probably a bit more expensive then UK, but first of all our VAT rate is higher - 21% compared with 17.5%, and second of all if you have any problem with any products you buy from UK, think about the shipping cost and time to get there - be fixed - and get it back as well. In Ireland, we are only a phone call away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Advanced Car Entertainment in Tullamore looked after me nicely.
    cant remember the shops number but bloke who runs it is on 087 2995006

Originally posted by louie
    € 300 cheaper?
    That's a bit hash, don't you think.
    We are probably a bit more expensive then UK, but first of all our VAT rate is higher - 21% compared with 17.5%, and second of all if you have any problem with any products you buy from UK, think about the shipping cost and time to get there - be fixed - and get it back as well. In Ireland, we are only a phone call away.

True, and if the difference was only €50-€60 then i'd have bought in ireland. In July 2002 I ordered a Kenwood MP3 head unit, a Kenwood 10 disc MP3 changer and a steering wheel remote. Heres the head unit i ordered and the price it is now:

Kenwood KDC-M9021 D-Mask+ MP3 CD Tuner
    BeSecure : € 605.67
    Incarexpress : £314.99 = € 453.92

thats €150 difference on one item. Explain please. Carriage was £17.50stg btw. An email that was answered immediately confirmed everything was in stock before i ordered and i received the stuff 2 days later.

Fair enough. You found a product out of more than 2500, and it could probably be more but we leave in Ireland, not UK, and we are trying to bust our economy not others...and the rate going at the moment is €0.67 / pound, and don't forget we are paying 21% vat.
    We are importing all our products and everything has to be taken in cosideration...including the warranty, which is up to us because buying from the internet, they are not covered by the manufacturers. I bet you didn't know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

try cel-direct.com - my headunit cost me 500 euros from them, and its selling at 950 euros in Motorway in Blanchardstown. Thats a serious saving on price. Shipping to my door cost me 15GBP, which included 2 sets of 6x9 speakers. Two days is all it took to arrive.

Fair enough. You found a product out of more than 2500, and it could probably be more but we leave in Ireland, not UK, and we are trying to bust our economy not others...and the rate going at the moment is €0.67 / pound, and don't forget we are paying 21% vat.
    We are importing all our products and everything has to be taken in cosideration...including the warranty, which is up to us because buying from the internet, they are not covered by the manufacturers. I bet you didn't know that.

The reason things are cheaper in the UK than in Ireland is because 9 times out of 10 the Irish retailer is shafting his customers - esp when it comes to electrical goods. I bought a JVC MP3 stereo about a year ago. I did my home work. Shopped around in Ireland and got found the best price I could - I bought it from Germany and undercut the best Irish price by €300. This was not just a one off. I checked several models and all came back with a huge saving over Irish prices.

including the warranty, which is up to us because buying from the internet, they are not covered by the manufacturers. I bet you didn't know that.

What a load of crap. If I buy an electrical product from the UK (say a head unit) and it goes faulty of course it is covered by warentee. You still have to ship it back to the UK but it's still under garentee. Louie you don't own a car stereo shop by any chance do you :rolleyes:

Yes I do own a car audio shop and I am right about the waranthy trust me.
    The warranthy is actually covered by us, not by the manufacturers.

If I bought a car radio from Germany or the UK and found the product was/went faulty I would be able to return the item for replacement or repair.

I know this for a fact as I bought a DVD player over the web. Laser went after 6 months - returned to company and was promptly sent a new one.
    Yes I do own a car audio shop

Can you explain why there is such a HUGE differences in prices between Ireland and the UK/Europe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Originally posted by daveg
    Can you explain why there is such a HUGE differences in prices between Ireland and the UK/Europe ? [/B]

Now thats a question I'd love to know the answer too !

ok louie. I know your only trying to run a business and my comments were not directed at you personally. You have to agree with what I'm saying though there is a huge difference in price between UK/Europe and Ireland.

BTW I had a look at your site and it's very good :)

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog

Kenwood KDC-M9021 D-Mask+ MP3 CD Tuner
    BeSecure : € 605.67
    Incarexpress : £314.99 = € 453.92

Feckin hell butcher that some peice of kit. How do you find the 10 disc MP3 changer ? I would be very interested in finding out as it may be my next upgrade. 1400 songs without changing a CD :eek:

That's my point and take in consideration I have Probably the Best Prices in Ireland. I import everything from UK and most of my suppliers have a website of there own.
    We buy them for the same price displayed on their website minus of course VAT @ 17.5% ad 20% + 21% VAT.
    Calculating everything I get at the end of the day a mear 10% profit which it's good if the sale is > 10,000/week so I could cover the weekly expenses and have a small amount left to built up the business so I could go straight to the manufacturers myself to afford giving you as customers better prices.
    If you check out the special offer page you'll find few products at a very good price (ex. cdx-m630 for € 299.95).
    You won't find that price in Ireland but you might find it in UK.
    Do you know what I mean?
    Sometimes they go cheaper" being suppliers " as they buy at bulk prices (ex. over 250.000 worth of stock) so they get better prices to sell to the public by making special offers or packages

Regarding Europe I think is the shipping over sea prices.

That's my point and take in consideration I have Probably the Best Prices in Ireland. I import everything from UK and most of my suppliers have a website of there own.
    We buy them for the same price displayed on their website minus of course VAT @ 17.5% ad 20% + 21% VAT.
    Calculating everything I get at the end of the day a mear 10% profit which it's good if the sale is > 10,000/week so I could cover the weekly expenses and have a small amount left to built up the business so I could go straight to the manufacturers myself to afford giving you as customers better prices.
    If you check out the special offer page you'll find few products at a very good price (ex. cdx-m630 for € 299.95).
    You won't find that price in Ireland but you might find it in UK.
    Do you know what I mean?
    Sometimes they go cheaper" being suppliers " as they buy at bulk prices (ex. over 250.000 worth of stock) so they get better prices to sell to the public by making special offers or packages

Regarding Europe I think is the shipping over sea prices.

Point taken... and I wish you luck. As I said your website and prices are good so I'll check you out next time I'm upgrading.

louie, i was just pointing out the difference in the unit i wanted, don't go all defensive :)

when i was pricing this i couldn't find a decent online irish site, and i talked to 2 shops about prices on the kit i wanted, showed them where i was getting it and the prices. despite calls to the irish distributors etc the best they could do for me on prices was 300 euros more. After i got the kit i bought new speakers from the most helpfull shop and got them to install everything for me.

daveg, the changer i got was the Kenwood KDC-C719MP 10 Disc MP3 Changer. No problems to report and it does what i need, i.e stores loads of mp3s. I couldn't track down a changer at the time tho that read the mp3's id3 tags and displayed the mp3 info (artist/title etc) on the head unit (like the heat unit does from the mp3 cds placed in it).

louie, you know any changers now that'll do this?

• Advertisement

There is nothing that I know from kenwood that will read the id tag, but there are in the middle of bringing out new products.
    I'll let you know about it.
    By the way, I didn't take any offense regarding the prices.
    I know I am doing my best and I hope in the future to do a lot better than that.
    God help me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Louie can you answer me a question. Just bought a 1990 bmw with a cd player but no boot loader. Think its a sony stereo (in work atm and cant leave).

How much would I be expected to spend on your average 5 disc changer and would I be better off buying it second hand.

Cheers.

Chief.

If your Sony has cd changer control then arround 250.00 euro fitted for a 6 disc.

I couldn't track down a changer at the time tho that read the mp3's id3 tags and displayed the mp3 info (artist/title etc) on the head unit (like the heat unit does from the mp3 cds placed in it).

louie, you know any changers now that'll do this? [/B]

CDX-T70MX by Sony. Sorry it took me so long but I've been very busy.
    The thing is you have to change the head unit and I don't think that's what you want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Louie,

I am probably getting an Alfa 156 very shortly. I would like a CD Changer fitted that can read MP3's etc.... if it can read the tags, all the better, although I wouldn't pay an extra few hundred euro just for that ! Dunno what the head unit is in an Alfa, guess I'd have to replace it. Give me a rough price (head - unless you think the standard Alfa stereo can link to a changer capable of this, changer and fitting) and we might do a deal !

Alfa 156 comes with a Blaupunkt radio fitted as standard.
    The best I recommend as a cd/mp3 changer will be Alpine, but there is also Sony, Kenwood...
    I think it's all up to yourself on what you like.

I'll put it to you this way then !

Looks like I can keep the default head unit. So give me a ball park then for fitting, any of the above MP3 compatible changers that will allow me to swtich between 5 cd's or more full of MP3's.

As if the model car didn't give it away, I'm a cheap son of a bitch these days, so price up the cheapest one (with fitting) - unless it's really crap, and hopefully when I get this car in the next few weeks, I'll head up to your place instead of my local secure sounds again !

Sorry but i don't follow you.
    Do you want to keep the head unit that comes in the Alfa or not.
    if yes, what make it is?
    I know they are ment to be Blaupunkt but it might be changed so I have to know for sure.

Crossed wires, I thought from your previous post that you knew what model came standard with the Alfa (99 model).

Ideally I would prefer to keep it, but if thats not possible then fine, quote me for a head unit too.

• Advertisement

I've send you a PM.

Advertisement