Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Playing is good for u!

Options
  • 25-04-2003 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

just find this one the bbc site when i was checkin out the half life 2 stuff, thought it was pretty cool.

[edit]heres the link for those of u who want to explore the site furhter or whatever[/edit]
    Gaming 'is good for you'
    there u go, espeically for u spiffing :)

Originally written on the BBC News site
    To people who do not play computer games shoot-em-ups such as Counter-Strike and Quake look very straightforward.
    You log on, you shoot everything that moves with a frightening arsenal of weapons, you log off.

But studies of players and teams are showing that these games are much more complex than many people suspect.

They are revealing the deep community and complex culture surrounding the games, as well as some of the reasons why people find them appealing.

Group shot

Since Counter-Strike was released in March 1999, the online modification, or mod, for the Half-Life computer game has been a huge hit.

Its simple premise pits terrorists against counter-terrorists and has become the most popular online multiplayer shoot-em-up.

But this uncomplicated premise masks a complex culture that social scientists are uncovering.

It's not just about guns
    Professor Talmadge Wright and colleagues at Loyola University, Chicago, have spent hours studying Counter-Strike culture by taking part in games, interviewing players and reviewing text files of in-game banter.

Prof Wright said that the research shows that Counter-Strike is about much more than grim gunplay and racking up kills.

The strategy and tactics used by many regular players and teams, or clans, often makes it seem like a game of chess, he said.

The importance of the social side of Counter-Strike was revealed in the constant banter, in-jokes and insults that people exchanged during play, said Prof Wright.

To outsiders this game talk can be impenetrable and lead people to misinterpret what is going on.

Players tended to bring their offline culture with them when they play, said Prof Wright.

It was often obvious when teenage boys were playing, he said, because there was much more trashtalk and sexist or homophobic insults flying around.

But, said Prof Wright, it was a mistake to think that this meant that gamers were misanthropists.

"The most common emotion when people are playing is laughter," said Prof Wright.

The only reason that people can get away with insulting friends and foes was because they knew them so well, he said.

Collective play

Games such as Counter-Strike that rely on trust and co-operation give rise to strong communities and good friendships, said Prof Wright.

It gives people an option of actively participating in some kind of fantasy role they could not do in real life

Professor Talmadge Wright, Loyola University

As a result players prefer to game with people they know rather than strangers and they tend to tone down the bad language when those they do not know well are present.

As well as good tactics, players also like moves and tricks that are particularly elegant, well executed or exploit the quirks of the game.

The names that people adopt for their online alter-egos show just how playfully regulars regard the game, said Prof Wright.

The licence that the game gives people to experiment is part of its huge attraction.

"It gives people an option of actively participating in some kind of fantasy role they could not do in real life that allows them to play with their own feelings," said Prof Wright.

"It is an area that's bricked off from everyday life that you can enter and leave at will," he said. "It offers you a way to play with things you may be scared of in a safe way where there are very few consequences."

For this reason, and others, Prof Wright believes that gaming is undoubtedly good for players.

Before now, he said, many studies of game playing have been skewed by hidden agendas.

"There's a cultural motif that underlies the critiques that go on around this," he said, "the idea of mindless activity is given short shrift in culture where productivity is given the highest praise."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Couldn't you just give us the link?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

why? What difference does it make really?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Of course gaming is good for your social life, your heart and everything you will ever do because its great :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

It doesnt actually make any difference, but posting a link then the full text of the link is an American forum convention where people are too lazy to click the link.

I dont particularly mind either way, just pointing it out.

A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't worry it will be bad for you next week.

I wonder if my chronic unfitness is due to being obsessed with games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Originally posted by suppafly
    why? What difference does it make really?

Makes it much easier for me...I am Lord Muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I would say gaming has some positive effects, aside from the fun and enjoying yourself, which of course is the main thing.

Games like q3 could speed up your reactions.

Games with a lot of puzzles, could help you become a better logical thinker.

By the way this was posted here before.
    The most common emotion when people are playing is laughter," said Prof Wright.

When did laughter become an emotion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I dont think gaming is good for you. I love it to bits. I still dont think its good for me.

A friend of mine like to take his crowbar in halflife and see how much blood he could get out of the dead bodies. How is he improving himself when doing this exercise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭feldy

I think games are good for you once you can control the amount of time with them. Great for stress relief, or for escaping the hassles of the real world when needed, or even just to burn time and chill out with.
    They only become bad for you when you spend every waking and sleeping hour either playing, or longing to play.
    You know you are in trouble when you call in sick so u can stay home and play......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

it probly does mroe bad than good.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

feldy
    You know you are in trouble when you call in sick so u can stay home and play......

This is my perfect oppertunity to gloat :D
    Unfortunately i cant do that caus either way id b playing games ,i play games for a living,:eek: ,so if i did pull a sickey id only be at home doing the same as in work.Not that id ever pull a sickey. ( games tester = best job ever )

COMBATCOW

( yay my 200'th, post woot woot )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Combatcow
    ( games tester = best job ever )

COMBATCOW

But i betcha u have to play those **** games no1 like all the time. Not BF1942 or quake or whatever. Olsen twins new adventue! :p

None the less, where did you get this job and where can i get me one!

Ho hum a disbeliever....how does Warcraft 3 : The Frozen Throne sound hu? well....i cant hear u ? cat got ur tongue?.:D .check my profile.Btw when does that olsen twins game come out :D:D

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ho hum a disbeliever....how does Warcraft 3 : The Frozen Throne sound hu? well....i cant hear u ? cat got ur tongue?.:D .check my profile.Btw when does that olsen twins game come out :D:D

COMBATCOW
    marry me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

COMBATCOW
    How long have you been working in VUIPI for?
    I've worked there every summer for the past 3 years... maybe I know you

feldy

games tester = best job ever

COMBATCOW

U LUCKY *******

Well it's a tough job but some1's gotta do it. :D

( pm'd u guys )

COMBATCOW

i wish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

a few months ago i had an interview to be an xbox tester for microsoft. I didn't get it thought, cuz i was all nervous and stuff at the interview(cuz it was my first one) so i screw up really easy questions that i knew. I'd say i would have been a deadly job cuz i have a freind doing it and he says its brilliant!! does any body know of any other gaming companies in ireland?

Originally posted by suppafly
    does any body know of any other gaming companies in ireland?
    I also would love to know this - if even only on a part time basis. I cant see it paying the morgage, but it certainly would be great to do as an extra!:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement