Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pint glass markings

• 25-04-2003 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Discussion arose in the pub last night about the numbers which are often printed on the side of pint glasses. One glass I had had the number 164 over 02 on it and then another I one I had, had 09 over 02. I'm guessing the 02 is the year of manufacture but could anyone tell me what the other number refers to?

Apologies if this is deemed to be in the wrong forum.

Cheers,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭MAC_E

Ive always thought that the numbers were the strength of the glasses.

Not 100% definete though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I don't think so. By that logic would the glass with 09/02 be very weak compared to the 164/02?

The 09/02 glass was a Budweiser glass btw. The 164/02 and there was 162/02 also, were Guinness glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

one is the year. i always presumed the other was either a batch number or style number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Batch number and year. A percentage of every batch must be sent to weights and measures for testing. If more than a small percentage fail the whole batch is rejected and from what I can remember a large penalty is incurred.

Advertisement