Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splinter Cell?

Options
  • 25-04-2003 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting Splinter Cell for the PS2 can anyone tell how it bears up to the other format versions of it ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I don’t think it looks as good as on the Xbox, the control feels about the same and it has the extra mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Ah excellent it shall be purchased this very eve so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's very, very good...
    I really enjoyed it..

Finished it in no time though.. Might go back and try it on the difficult settings (as opposed to normal)..

Which was the extra added level?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I think it was the Power Plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Its pretty good, shadow effects are georgious, but its very short and oddly easy, even on hardest its a walkthrough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

yes. it's a walkthrough. Only a couple of occasions flumoxed me. The bit in the building with the guys near the fires - couldn't figure out how to diffuse the motion-sensor bombs, but it turns out, if you move at minimum speed, tey don't "see" you.

Overall, great game experience and great gameplay. Not a deus Ex, but that'll be along soon, mmmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

There's no point trying to sound L337 saying that Splinter Cell was an easy game because quite clearly it wasn't. It took me a long time to get through and the overly alert guards who could spin around and take you out without a second's notice only added to the infuriating level of trial and error this game involved as well as the numerous bugs. Maybe that's just the xbox version, it might have been dumbed down for the ps2 but Splinter Cell has always been a hard game and saying it's a walkthrough fools no one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

:) point taken. X-Box was very tough because of the save points. The PC version which I got was easy because you can save anywhere, and it was just too tempting because the game had that tendency to make you want to keep playing to see the next bit, and also because of the walking thing (on PC you control speed by the mouse wheel, and on the lowest speed, you can just walk around the motion detectors, etc., ).

So *IMHO* it was a walkthorugh, because I played it on PC and am weak with unrestricted saving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Yeah the pc version sounds a lot easier and a lot less frustrating than the xbox version. That's the real problem with the xbox version, it wasn't hard in the normal sense, it was hard in the commandos sense that most of the game was taken up by figuring out what to do, dying, retrying and repeating. That endless cycle wouldn't be as bad on the pc because instead of repeating 10 minute sections your only repeating 30 second sections. I think in my mind this game will go down as the most frustrating game I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hmmm... I'm not typically given to boasting, or trying to sound 'L33t', but I really did find the game quite short, and, well, easy...

But like I said, haven't tried the difficult setting yet...
    I played the PS2 version... Maybe they added save points for the PS2 version?

The only bits that really had me stumped, were the bits that really shouldn't have been difficult... Like:
    1) Construction site - When you had to hug the wall to get past a large wooden pallete - had me stumped for ages..
    2) Going down the alleyway in the Chinese Embassy, and getting over the wall...

I would have loved to see a longer game, with more sneaking!

• Advertisement
Advertisement