Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on what programs/methods to use

Options
  • 25-04-2003 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on building a webpage that will provide interaction with a database and allow the user to upload files to an ftp server. I've got access to a server with php4 set up and a mySql server running to. I've plenty of experience in programming and creating the engine for the site wont be that much of a problem for me. But I'm making the site as a persent for a friend so I want to make it look pretty too. At the moment I'm just thinking of writing all the php code in notepad and getting the site fully functional and then using something like dreamweaver to make a good looking site that I can then port the code into. Do you reckon this is the best way to go about making a site or am I just doubling my workload? Also is dreamweaver the best app for making good looking web pages or are there any other options out there (first person to say front page express gets a knee the nads :p). Anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Have you looked at Dreamweaver MX yet, I don't want to sound like a salesman from macromedia, but I think it will save you a lot of work.

Rather than doing the php code in notepad, do it in MX. It will allow you to use server side technology on your desk top, a perfect solution for a coder like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Ftping files to the server takes no time (I've got dsl :)) but also I like to work at as low a level as possible. I'm a c++ coder and I'm most comfortable when there's no GUIs between me and the code. I've started messing around with CSS and it seems fairly powerful. I'm just making a basic site design at the moment until I've got all the php functioning and then I'll look at putting together a nice design using CSS.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if you know the language do it by hand in notepad and do all the basic bits (insert tables etc.)using an editor if you like. I personally would prefer to get the template done first and then insert the server side code.
    Anyway don't use Dreamweaver MX to insert the code as suggested (if you know the code) as it will just put in loads of unnecessary crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I`d use TextPad4 instead of DW MX, if you`re used to non gui stuff, altho DW can be used with pure source code editing.

The only main thing the dw has is the built in server setup stuff for testing files and the FTP stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Anyway don't use Dreamweaver MX to insert the code as suggested (if you know the code) as it will just put in loads of unnecessary crap.

Yes, when you use the GUI to insert onto your page you get some unnecessary code, so I would agree with you there, however, if you just work in code view it's OK. I like the colour coding of commands. For instance, I use VI instead of Pico when editing in Linux Shell purely for colour and no other reason. It's a matter of how each of us organise our code some like it some don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Use EditPlus or Vim
    Dreamweaver is fine for layout

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Programming and Designing with Dreamweaver MX
    Graphics with Flash and Adobe Photoshop/Image Ready

Some of my sites that i have done with it - (Just to give you an example of its use) :

http://www.kerrypages.com
    [url]Http://www.voyhost.com[/url]

./Webmonkey

PS. Didn't use any dreamweavers programming functions, just wrote it like i would have wrote it in notepad. Handy for Line Numbers if you make mistakes. Wud be awful going through 1000s of lines of code in notepad - Just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Since the php code will probably have to output text, you should stick with CSS, so you can make changes to layout and text styles after you have all the programming done.

Mixing design code (html,tables,font tags) with programming is a pain if you want to change the look of the site after you've finished the programming part. Keep design/content/programming separate if possible, style sheet for design, content from a... (database?), and include your php files.

(PHPEdit is a great program for coding php btw.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Originally posted by peterd
    Since the php code will probably have to output text, you should stick with CSS, so you can make changes to layout and text styles after you have all the programming done.

Mixing design code (html,tables,font tags) with programming is a pain if you want to change the look of the site after you've finished the programming part. Keep design/content/programming separate if possible, style sheet for design, content from a... (database?), and include your php files.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by peterd

I can't believe i've done 100,000's of lines of PHP code without using this ...

::bangs head against desk repeatedly::

thx for the link.

• Advertisement
Advertisement