Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cap test I did

Options
  • 25-04-2003 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Afternoon all.!

Just thought i'd share this.

Reading a post yesterday about Caps and how much you use / think you will need etc.
    Got me thinking, so I decided to test how much I use normally.

Tested using magitime

Test is from yesterday (Thursday 24th - 09:40) to Today (Friday 25th - 16:40)

Total Sent : 14.88 MB
    Total Received : 80:75 MB

Just normal browsing, Sending/receiving email, spending a fair chunk of the working hours browsing boards.ie.
    And downloading the odd file here and there.

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Wow that seems high.. but works out at 2,456mb per month. In other words light general surfing will use 2.5gb out of 4gb with Eircom/Esat...

In other words.. go Netsource as there is no cap and a much better product all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Lucky we don't have a cap here I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

+ netsource has interleaving switched off.. important if you want to be playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

It really depends! I never thought I'd download as much as I do when I got broadband. I get between 3 and 4 GB every day on my 1mbit line.

And haven't been to xtra vision in ages:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Been fairly quite this month but still high!

Logfile: /var/www/html/mrtg/router.log
    Start time: Tue Apr 1 00:00:00 2003
    End time: Sat Apr 26 14:00:00 2003
    Total Megabytes out: 25457.09 MB
    Total Megabytes in: 90264.25 MB
    Average = 24 hour average
    Average traffic out: 94.35 Kbps
    Average traffic in: 334.53 Kbps
    Average workday = 22days/month * 8 hours = 176 hours
    Average workday traffic out: 385.96 Kbps
    Average workday traffic in: 1.34 Mbps
    Average workday traffic total: 1.71 Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

pff .. i'm on netsmart 80 hours deelie, and i still got over a gig in 2 weeks, mostly just general surfing
    can't believe people here advocate caps
    grr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Problem is, every 48 users potentially share only 512kbits/sec of bandwidth. Therefore, being able to download 5 gigs in a day depends on another 48 users not downloading anything, since that is pretty much all the bandwidth can handle.

Althernatively, if there are many user trying to download simultaniously, each user will be slowed down to the extent that collectively, the notional 48 can only download 5 gigs.

At the end of the day, you have 512kbits/sec = 5 gigs/day for every 48 users. What happens if all the heavy downloaders migrate to Netsource having been put off by the caps on the other services. Won't the system slow down to a crawl?

I'm not advocating a cap here. I'm just wondering how this thing will work out in practice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Hey daveirl - what program is that your using for download statistics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement