Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so long steam driven telephone network!!!!

Options
  • 22-05-1998 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Niccce!, since telecom'll have some
    "competition" at the end of next year
    us modem players might get faster connections and lower charges, they're even talking about a flat fee for local calls(use the net as long as u like, pay £x a month flat rate)like they have in the states!.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭FlavorFlav

: Niccce!, since telecom'll have some
    : "competition" at the end of next year

THE END OF NEXT YEAR!!!!!

yea, and in the mean time whats going to happen?

Are you sure you dont work for TE?

FlavorFlav

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

: : Niccce!, since telecom'll have some
    : : "competition" at the end of next year

: THE END OF NEXT YEAR!!!!!

: yea, and in the mean time whats going to happen?

: Are you sure you dont work for TE?

: FlavorFlav

Actually its the end of this year that the monopoly ends on
    local Teleco services. Hopefully this will benefit gamers
    with better services.

Conor.

: Actually its the end of this year that the monopoly ends on
    : local Teleco services. Hopefully this will benefit gamers
    : with better services.

: Conor.

So what do you think we can expect/hope to happen.

Obviously we'd all like to see cheaper calls, lower cost for ISDN, offering of xDSL, cheaper leased lines (national and international). But, what will we actually get and how, ie. who is going to provide these things on a sparsely populated island in the north atlantic?

negative flavor

(its just a discussion)

: : Actually its the end of this year that the monopoly ends on
    : : local Teleco services. Hopefully this will benefit gamers
    : : with better services.

: : Conor.

: So what do you think we can expect/hope to happen.

: Obviously we'd all like to see cheaper calls, lower cost for ISDN, offering of xDSL, cheaper leased lines (national and international). But, what will we actually get and how, ie. who is going to provide these things on a sparsely populated island in the north atlantic?

: negative flavor

: (its just a discussion)

The big population areas will do fine.. my only prob is the wee sh1t holes in the country where it's not worth connecting up :(((

But hey I've moved house for less :))

RooK's

: So what do you think we can expect/hope to happen.

: Obviously we'd all like to see cheaper calls, lower cost for ISDN, offering of xDSL, cheaper leased lines (national and international). But, what will we actually get and how, ie. who is going to provide these things on a sparsely populated island in the north atlantic?

: negative flavor

: (its just a discussion)

This is the price of competition that everyone seems bent on implementing. At present
    since TE is a semi-state it has an obligation to provide anyone anywhere with a phone
    line for the regular installation/rental costs, even if this hugely unprofitable.
    You are correct that most of the benfits will be felt in the higher population denisty
    areas. It is not possible to have your cake and eat it, if the forth coming competition is
    to adhere to the same rules imposed on TE I doubt there will be much intrest in the Irish
    market. This is the model that the US market is based on, sure urban areas get free local
    calls, that is because it makes economic sense. Isolated farms in rural areas normally have
    to make do with costly satelite solutions, trying playing quake over that !

Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

: : : Actually its the end of this year that the monopoly ends on
    : : : local Teleco services. Hopefully this will benefit gamers
    : : : with better services.

: : : Conor.

: : So what do you think we can expect/hope to happen.

: : Obviously we'd all like to see cheaper calls, lower cost for ISDN, offering of xDSL, cheaper leased lines (national and international). But, what will we actually get and how, ie. who is going to provide these things on a sparsely populated island in the north atlantic?

: : negative flavor

: : (its just a discussion)

: The big population areas will do fine.. my only prob is the wee sh1t holes in the country where it's not worth connecting up :(((

: But hey I've moved house for less :))

: RooK's

Ireland is the second biggest exporter of software in the world. If it wants to stay
    that way then its gonna have to get one of the most advanced telephony
    networks in the world (ie second again). I'd say we will see the government
    pulling every stop to advance Ireland now that some report has highlighted the
    neccessity of such a structure. The stopping of the monopoly years before it was
    meant to, is one such result.

optimistic gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭FlavorFlav

: Ireland is the second biggest exporter of software in the world. If it wants to stay

you sure about that? if you mean shipping boxes of ms-office to europe, then ok, but thats not a software industry.

: that way then its gonna have to get one of the most advanced telephony
    : networks in the world (ie second again). I'd say we will see the government
    : pulling every stop to advance Ireland now that some report has highlighted the
    : neccessity of such a structure. The stopping of the monopoly years before it was
    : meant to, is one such result.

: optimistic gb

I personally am not going to rely on the government to provide a good infrastructure, it has to come from the private sector, and the deregulation helps that. "the stopping of the monopoly years before it was meant to" eh, if I look at other european countries eg, britain, holland then they are much further ahead in deregulation.

So who is doing something? Esat, right, anyone know anybody else? Know what Esat has done? they've put in a woopey-do optica fibre ring in dublin city centre, yea like thats going to really help the country as a whole. They dont expect to have a good national infrastucture (via CIE) for at least another year or two.

Just read a couple of articles about frame relay, which confirmed by suspicion that it is cheap and crap for low latency applications (quake/ping). It is just not designed for it. And I guessing here, but I think this is what TE is refering to when they mention irelands high tech comms structure. Oh, and I believe tinet makes widespread use of frame relay down the country.

FlavorFlav

Advertisement