Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the youth of today actually want to work???

• 25-04-2003 6:51pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Probably going to stir the proverbial sh!t with this one but here goes.
    For the last 10weeks now Ive been trying to hire an assistant to myself in the company I work for.As a few of you know Im in the motor trade in a senior management position.
    The position that is available would suit a person who is either a school leaver or has an interest in the motor trade.The position requires a full licence and requires a good deal of cop-on and a lot of responsibility.
    Now my problem is that all I seem to be getting are school leavers who dont believe in working for a living.They either want mental money,company car or just plain stupid demands regarding conditions of employment.
    Ive taken on 2 in these 10 weeks and one of them left after a day stating that the work was too hard(its basically sitting in front of a pc all day,no lifting or manual labour) and the other had delusions of grandeur
    he thought he was more important than he was.If I took a day off he took the next day off.If I was out sick he was suddenly sick the next day.Now the problem isnt money--the second person had the chance to earn 25k+ at the age of only 18.The first person just didnt want to work.
    Now after 25 interviews my views of potential employees has changed.Im under the impression that these people want big money and quick money and dont seem to think that we as a company have to find out how good they are at the job before promoting them etc.
    They dont seem to believe that to start in a lifetime career you have to work your way up which is the way that I did it.I started on something like £100 per week and am now earning what I would class as a very good wage with excellent benefits(car,insurance,vhi,pension etc.)

The potential employee could also be in this position within a year or two.
    Is anyone else of this opinion that the young of today are under the impression that they can leave school and start in a job earning 50 grand a year?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

No. Nobody wants to work. We all want to win the lotto and feel our arses grow.

The people you're interviewing are probably too young. They don't realise what a good job is, or what a decent pay packet is. For many of them, it's probably their first job and they're basically clueless. They have unreasonable demands partly because they don't know what reasonable expectations are, and partly because, let's face it, they're still children.

You're probably better off hiring a secretary with good administration skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Yeah it sounds like you should target people with experience rather than school leavers.. I was under the impression that nobody without a diploma/degree/equivalent could start off on anything more than 20k.. that's why I'm in college heh :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No they don't, they didn't go through the "starving" 1980s like we did. They are subsidised by their parents (my niece wants a BMW for her 18th birthday, I've never had a car). When I was 17-19, I was desperate for work, but didn't necessarily have the skills at the time (who does?).

I also have to raise the question "Do the adults of today actually want to work?" given the hassle I’ve had to deal with, I don't and quite a few friends (+30, all have been through college) aren't or don't want to work, given that we can't afford what our parents had. Too much of the generation ahead of us, in their 40s and 50s want other people to do the work and for them to live off it.

Finally, you sound vaguely like the manager of Bewleys who complaining about 3-4 years ago that he could only get non-Irish staff. Of course, he was paying £3/hr for lousy work. You need to pay commensurate to what the market demands. Just how much will paying this junior €20k save you, by freeing up more senior staff. Did you advertise the job with a specific salary?

PS Any chance of an admin job if I can't drive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Actually Hellrazer I think you are right...

But I think I have to go with the "starving" 1980s theory. I've meet a lot of young'uns who have unrealistic expectations. As for not having cop on, that comes from the educational system that doesn't teach people to think or solve problems, but to pass exams and score points. I found school and college to be exactly like that. That said some people have common sense and cop on and others just don't. Theres also a lot of people who are great at giving the impression that they are brilliant, but when it comes down to it the're rubbish. You meet them everywhere. Most people are taken in by them. I heard of one guy who passed about a zillion interviews, medicals and psyc tests and got on to a pilot cadet course. Only for them to realise about 3 months in that the guy was scared of flying. Now if all those guys can be fooled then anyone can be taken in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i think that the youth of today have issues with saving and money in general.

i think that most people with a full time job could buy a house.
    but they don't want to live where they can afford.

i don't think i know anyone in the 20-25 age bracket who's saving to buy a house, really saving that is - no nights out, no holidays etc.

it seems that everything should be painless.

have you seen that add on sky|one,
    "we want it all now, no queue's, guest pass's......."

its just more of the same....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Maybe it's not just that noone wants to work.
    Perhaps not that many people at 18 years of age would have a driving licence what with the cost of actually getting a licence these days! And possibly most of those that do are going to college!
    Just a thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Stick with it Ritche. Sounds like a great opportunity. You'll find the right person.. fúck it I'd apply if I lived in Dublin ;) for a change of scenary... too much stress here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

What sort of person are you looking for? What tasks are involved?

I've a mate who is 20/21, and who has worked in Finance for the last two years (mostly dealing with the motor industry) and who might be interested in a change of scenery. He has his own car so wouldn't be looking for a company car. I can forward on your details to him if you like.

He is currently working for a bank in dublin and he has been there a couple of months but he might be interested in a change of scenery if the right opportunity was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

So would I, 'cept I only have a provisional licence ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Hey not all us young people are bottle fed by the parents.I`d kill for a job that has a starting wage of +20k.I do agree that there is alot of spoilt little brats around who havent done a hard days labour in there life.Hellrazer you need to target a smaller range of people to find the one you`r looking for.Maybe try a different aproach look for people that are on less money working in a dealership or carrage they would have the experience and proabably the disere to do the work.Good Luck

P.S id happily apply only im in college trying to make a livin have to work in Mickey D`s just to pay the rent AHHHHHHH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

<< Check your PMs Hellrazer>>

Does he drive a Honda Civic Import?
    Originally posted by ballooba
    What sort of person are you looking for? What tasks are involved?

I've a mate who is 20/21, and who has worked in Finance for the last two years (mostly dealing with the motor industry) and who might be interested in a change of scenery. He has his own car so wouldn't be looking for a company car. I can forward on your details to him if you like.

He is currently working for a bank in dublin and he has been there a couple of months but he might be interested in a change of scenery if the right opportunity was there.

He does, how do you know him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I fully agree with the sentiment that younger people do not want to work- all you have to do is look at anyone employed by a whole host of retailers, pubs and restaraunts. The whole attitute of people for the last couple of years I think seriously sucks, particularly when your left standing at shop counter for 10 minutes while assistant stands yabbering to friend.

If I have the opportunity to earn that kinda cash at that age I would have jumped at it.

K-

Thats a bit of a hefty generalisation to make. There are a few people who would be stupid enough to stand chatting to a friend while a customer is waiting to be served. While there are a few young people who would do this there is just as many older people who would do the same.

One example is The Walnut newsagent on Aungier St, the old biddy in there is always chatting to her mates while a queue of people wait to be served.

Personally if you asked any of my previous employers about my work ethic the last thing they would say is that i didn't wan't to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by ballooba
    He does, how do you know him?

I live with the fecker! I have to live with him rabbiting on about Superbikes and and jizzing himself over Marcus Gronholms car setup and sh!te! :D:p

how do you know him?

Luke or Ronnie? Its Steve of Groove Promos here.

That would explain you knowing about the RedBox night on Wednesdays.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thanks for all the replys people.Any one who pm`d me
    Ive replied to all.I dont usually check my pms so it was only this afternoon before I realsied I had any.
    But anyway on a different note
    Ive offered the job to someone today.Hes 40+ just recently been made redundant and wants to learn.
    Seems ideal!!!
    I just hope he shows up on Monday--unlike the last person I offered the job to----no phone call,nothing......just didnt show up.

But maybe yes it is the 80s thing.When I was younger jobs were hard to come by so you took what you could get.And I ve never been out of work a day in my life.
    As for college----a few of my friends studied business and the like and they`ve all drifted from job to job(mainly in banking or finance) or else been told that they were too qualified.There specific courses were never any use to them until they got experience.Its the old cliche---how do you get experience if no-one will take you on to get that experience.
    richie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It depends really, most of the people I know (including college and non-college people) are all working. I even know one guy in college who is working two part time jobs a week to pay for his accomadation and stuff. I dunno, maybe you're interviewing the wrong people because the impression that I get is that young people are working too much these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    ....the impression that I get is that young people are working too much these days.

I'd have to agree 100% Raskolnikov with regards to P/t Work - I've been working Part time and attending full time Education for the last 6 Years and only recently have I found out that I couldn't give a toss if someone isn't satisfied with the service I provide. I'm usually too tired from college at that stage to care.

Reason: It's only a Part Time job to get me through College - Not My career.

I can't wait to finish p/t work and get into my full time job, (which will be towards the End of July! WooHOO :) ), when I can actually get some perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

gl Mutz - I thought that 2 years ago and am still looking for that job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Of course, but should we be paid slave wages..
    I, as well as many people on the board, have a far better knowledge of computers than my uncle who has a degree in them.
    But a company would stil pay him more than double wot they would pay me..
    However, the job u describe, if i had left school sounds like a fantastic opportunity

Advertisement