Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i have to wait for the Splitter?

Options
  • 25-04-2003 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Probably a stupid question:
    Ive just recieved my ethernet/router/modem thingy (from marx) and i have my Username and password. I dont want to use my phone for voice calls, Could i just plug it in and whats the chance of it working?
    sean

any ideas/settings on how to get it working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

ok NOT 100% on this BUT me thinks u have to get ta filter. as i say i am not 100% on that.......anyone know??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Yes you can, You cannot have anything else connected to the line though while using your DSL modem.

Ryan

P.S. Not a stupid question at all though it was only asked a week or so ago
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Sorry for not checking other threads,
    Will i have to ring eircom and pretend that i recieved the splitter to turn me on or should it work already? im on the shantalla exchange in galway?
    Sean

It should work but you will need the VPI/VCI settings I have the ones for I-stream in dublin but I'm not sure if they are the same for Radsl in Galway.
    Once your line is enabled your modem should sync with the exchange when you plug it in there should be a light which indicates sync.

These are the settings from my modem have copied from the diagnistics screen don't know if they will help you.

System Name: Eircom
    ZyNOS F/W Version: V2.50(AY.4) | 11/08/2002
    DSL F/W Version: Alcatel, Version 3.8.164
    Standard: Multi-Mode

WAN Information:
    IP Address: 159.134.104.XX
    Mask: 255.255.255.255
    Primary DNS: 159.134.237.6
    Secondary DNS: 159.134.248.17
    Default Gateway: MyISP
    VPI/VCI: 0/35

System up Time: 596:28:57

WAN Port Statistics:
    Link Status: Up
    Upstream Speed: 256 kbps
    Downstream Speed: 1024 kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I recieved my Modem (from Marx) today and when i got home i plugged it in, i then rang eircom tech support and said that i recieved the splitters (which i didnt) and would they "turn me on", they said i should just wait till i recieve a call from a sale's agent and they will let me know when i will be turned on? The guy then informed me that this may take a while, "around a few weeks"
    Any one have any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to the BB forum (as something of a technical or lying issue:))

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Cian

Originally posted by Redshift

VPI/VCI: 0/35

I'm on eircom i-stream and my vpi is 8...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I'd have to agree with Cian the VPI is 8 and the VCI is 35.

If you get any eircom product you should be able to connect to it a few days after the order has gone through. In our case our guy in eircom told us the work in the exchange would be done on such a day and emailed me on that day to confirm it was done, so i waited for C&W to whip the line out of the PABX and then connected it to the router and all was well. This was 6 working days after the order had gone through.

Paul

Originally posted by Cian
    I'm on eircom i-stream and my vpi is 8...

Yep I Noticed that too I but it was working for me set to zero for some reason I'm going to change it to eight and see what happens:eek:

Ryan

Menu 4 - Internet Access Setup

ISP's Name= MyISP
    Encapsulation= PPPoE
    Multiplexing= LLC-based
    VPI #= 8
    VCI #= 35
    Service Name= istream
    My Login= xxxx@eircom.net
    My Password= ********
    Single User Account= Yes
    IP Address Assignment= Dynamic
    IP Address= N/A
    ENET ENCAP Gateway= N/A

Press ENTER to Confirm or ESC to Cancel:

Seems it is set to eight this screen is from hyperterminal from the console whereas the previous was from the web interface which still shows 0 instead of 8
    Must be a bug.

Ryan

• Advertisement
Advertisement