Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so I thought that for those not so informed

• 25-04-2003 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

some of this might be useful. :)

then I read them myself.
    Tis amazing this www idinit?

Make what you wish from them :)

# 1: Laois

# 2

# 3

# 4 interesting...

a bit about Laois:
    COUNTY LAOIS
    by DND Ltd

Location: An inland county in the east of Ireland, Laois is the only county that does not border on another county touching the sea. It is largely bounded by raised bog, highlands and rivers - namely, the Barrow and Nore Rivers and the Slieve Bloom mountains. To the south-east of the county is the Castlecomer Plateau and its adjoining uplands, which are layered on Upper Carboniferous shales and sandstones, with some coal seams.

History: There are more than 1,000 historical sites and monuments in the county, some telling the story of the Mesolithic times of 8,500 years ago, others tracing the history of the Neolithic farmers. The county had a strong Christian establishment by the sixth century, but many of its monasteries fell prey to the Viking hordes, as evidenced by a re-discovered Viking longphort at Dunrally. The Normans gained control of the best land in the county by around 1325, but a gaelic revival occurred during the 14th century. This revival was summarily ended when the O’Mores had their lands confiscated by the English in the 16th century. Laois was established out of a number of unrelated Gaelic territories and earlier chiefdoms and referred to as the Queen’s County by a parliamentary act in 1556, during the reign of Queen Mary. It, along with Offaly, became the first area to be planted in Ireland.

Origin of County name: Initially called ‘Queen’s County, it was renamed Laois after the War of Independence, in honour of the Loigis/Loigsi, late Iron Age Pict mercenaries who helped Welsh invaders (the Laigin) conquer Leinster.

Land area: 664 sq. miles (County’s rank in size in the island of Ireland: 23).

County Capital: Portlaoise. Main towns: Abbeyleix, Mountrath, Mountmellick, Portarlington.

Census details: Total population - 52,945 - a 1.2% increase since 1991.

Number of schools: 69 primary schools, 13 secondary schools.

Top 12 Tourist attractions:
    Abbeyleix House and Gardens
    Castles (Ballaghmore Castle, Kinnity Castle, Lea Castle, Dysart Castle, Srahan Castle and Moat)
    St Canice’s Monastery
    Emo Court and Gardens
    The Great Heath of Maryborough (one of the most important archeological sites in Ireland)
    Heywood Gardens in Ballinakill
    Killeshin Church (contains some of Ireland’s finest medieval stonework)
    Mountmellick Quaker Museum
    Rock of Dunamase
    Slieve Bloom Environmental Park
    Stradbally Steam Museum
    Timahoe Church and Round Tower.

Famous natives of the past:
    Jacob Arthur (discovered eye membrane, died 1874)
    Patrick Cahill (prominent tenant-leader/first editor of Leinster Leader)
    Colonel James C. Fitzmaurice (aviator, died 1965)
    Oliver J. Flanagan (politician, died 1987)
    Liam Miller (publisher, died 1987)
    Kevin O’Higgins (politician, died 1927)
    Owny MacRory O’More (chieftain, died 1600)
    Roger O’More (17th-century rebel)
    Frank Power (acting British Consul in French Foreign Legion, died 1884).

post up yer link if ya got them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Forgiviness Please

LNA Official Website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hehehe...no worries Ryo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wow im moving to Laois asap.
    What an incredibly exciting place :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

REALLY????

wow! glad I could help Kdja! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Ryo Hazuki:Forgiviness Please
    On the note of the LNA i have been given full control of the lna again,I will not sully this forum any further with it but just thought id let anyone still loyal know-oh and ryo didnt you have that Laios tourism thing we did for geography?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I wish, it was erased on one of my many full formats and when the old site went down

sephiroth-lives.8k.com

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Castles (Ballaghmore Castle, Kinnity Castle, Lea Castle, Dysart Castle, Srahan Castle and Moat)

Kinnitty Castle is in Offaly not Laois. While i'm on the topic, portarlington is about 50/50 Laois Offaly

Advertisement