Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out in Dj`ing

Options
  • 26-04-2003 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Right,first thing first Im a lazy guy.I dont enjoy getting up at 7:30 in the morning and like to go to bed sometime between 1 and 5am.So as you can imagine I dont enjoy the daily grind.
    This is the primary reason that the DJ`ing idea has come into my head.What is the average a pub/club/kiddies disco will pay a DJ for a single night?Is it true that it can be upwards of 250 euro?Of course it depends on the location as you know but how much could you expect a venue in a medium sized town to pay for a night?
    Also,do most DJs need to mention their side job to the taxman or is it something that you cannot easily get away with doing cash in hand?What I mean is that if I give out business cards and a local pub hires me for Friday night will it be cash in hand or all legal?
    And how much will the equipment cost(probably second hand Im looking at)?I wouldnt be catering to the crowd who like mixing so I have no need for vinyl-it would be all CDs Im playing.The stuff I am playing generally wouldnt appeal to danceheads anyway(it would be primarily hip hop,its more popular than you think!).The only dance I would be playing would be by the likes of Scooter(just in case you didnt realise what kind of crowd I was targeting you do now:D )No house music or Ibiza crap either.
    Also,how would you go about setting up your own gig?Like renting a local hall as a venue with myself in charge.Would the peeps who own the hall have insurance covering all events taking place there or would I have to get that seperately?(or alternatively dont get insurance and have an emergency leg it plan if i see anybody suffer a litigious injury:D )Or do you have to get a dance licence or something?
    So what are the ins and outs of it all?Is it all as simple as it sounds?I am really attracted by the prospect of making a weeks wages in a night or two of what must be easy work.As you see i dont know too much about the nitty gritty of it(if i dd i wouldnt be asking here)so dont flame me:)

Not to condone illegal activity of course but it would be a very popular venue if I just said feck it to all the drinks licensing,health and safety costs and spent the money buying cheap drink in bulk for discount sale.What with the sales of drink and the sheer number of people paying at the door Id make a bomb :D Maybe I ought to do it up in Norn Iron,that way they cant ever prosecute me for it when I flee back home :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

This thread is sooooooo wrong!!!!
    FFS you should want to be DJing because you love doing it and not just because you're trying to make a fast buck!!! I've been DJing for years now and an awful lot of gigs that I've done, especially when I started out were for free because I actually love DJing!!!
    TBH I could answer most of your questions but I couldn't be arsed considering your attitude to making easy money!!!
    Shame on you!!! :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You might want to read this book...

Advertisement