Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribes: Vengeance

Options
  • 26-04-2003 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

TRIBES RETURNS WITH A VENGEANCE
    Latest Installment in Tribes Franchise Combines Ground-Breaking Single-Player Storyline and Intense Online Multiplayer Action

BELLEVUE, WA (April 25, 2003) - Vivendi Universal Games today announced development of Tribes: Vengeance, the next installment in the world-renowned and award-winning Tribes videogame series. Due in late 2004 only for PCs, the game is being developed by Irrational Games, known for some of the game industry’s most respected and revered titles, including System Shock 2 and Freedom Force.

“One of the goals for Tribes: Vengeance is to take single-player story telling to the next level,” said Philip O’Neil, VU Games’ SVP of Sales & Marketing. “We want to immerse the gamer in the story similar to the way a blockbuster film pulls you in. Our challenge to Irrational Games was to create a game that grabs hold of the player and never lets go, and they have risen to the task.”

In Tribes: Vengeance’s single-player campaign, gamers become immersed in a roiling galactic thriller. Throughout the game, the player catches glimpses of other, interrelated stories that are unfolding behind-the-scenes. In addition, gamers are given the opportunity to experience the full scope of the single-player story through multiple viewpoints and characters. Powered by an enhanced version of the Unreal Engine, the world is brought to life with characters that have facial expressions and fully-realized personalities, vehicles that kick up dust as they pass by, and weapons that display spectacular effects.

“Our plan is to not only enhance the multiplayer component of Tribes, but to also blow people away with a single-player story unlike anyone has ever seen in a videogame,” said Ken Levine, general manager of Irrational Games.

Tribes: Vengeance will also build upon the series’ legendary online multiplayer action. Irrational Games has hired one of the Tribes community’s leading developers, Michael “KineticPoet” Johnston, to head up the design and creation of the game’s multiplayer component. Johnston previously created Team Rabbit 2, a major Sierra-commissioned game modification for Tribes 2 that was included in the game’s commercial re-release in late 2002. “Being involved in the design and execution of Tribes: Vengeance is a dream come true,” said Johnston. “In the coming months we will be actively working with the Tribes online community to make sure they get the multiplayer game they’ve always wanted.”

\o/

A bit more info at www.tribalwar.com as usual.

No release date or anything, but it seems that they are at a pretty advanced stage with the engine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

wh00t!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Cool. There should be a Tribes board. Ahahaha. Ahahahahahaha. Aha.

I kill me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

20021213l.gif

I've heard "late 2004" quoted by some places as a release date. So much for their advanced progress, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hope it turns out to be good.

I sorely miss playing Tribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

In fairness shinji, gabe and tycho could hardly be described as impartial after the little set-to with tribalwar last year ... funny tho :)

After the steaming pile of muck that was t2 im not going to get excited about this untill its installed, running and is fun... or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Gah Dust we must have a telepathic link or something. I was just sittin surfin teh winterneb and got the idea to just type in www.dynamix.com to see if i could get news of t3 and on seeing Vegence was about to post a thread notifying but luckily my work is done. Phew!

Anyways yeh the screenies look ****in nice. CHECK OUT THE SPINFUSOR BABY. Nice verticle disc mechanism there on the model in screenshot 1 and nice grass textures and as always the models released so far look sweet. It says it's gonna be a mix of the 1st and 2nd which is what people were asking for when the 2nd came out because it lacked the speed and most of the pace of the first. So hopefully they will get this mof0 right!

Ry

hehe, Tribes fanboys of the world unite spiral :)

More info/hype here , a pretty bland ign article but it does feature some nice details about the single player aspect.

edit: Tribalwar just posted an article from 2 [5150] members who were at the screening of the T:V movie and launch. Its a great read actually and can be found here

Actually Special is an IE player slam is afaik 5150 :) He also mentions his m8 KineticPoet who is also an IE player and the creator of Team Rabbit mod AND who has been asked to help in the making of Vengeance as he also says. Anyways From his description i think we're onto a winner with vengeance!! I think they've finally cracked it it's gonna have amazing graphics AND the action and pace of T1. Can't wait!

Ry

Both Special and KP went on to play with 5150 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Originally posted by SpiraL
    ... CHECK OUT THE SPINFUSOR BABY. Nice verticle disc mechanism there on the model in screenshot 1 ...
    Ry

They've said that the Very SF is just a placeholder, and they'll be reverting to a horizontal model :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

<bah> It's been done </bah>

better be good...

The new image from Tribal wars of the Medium Phoenix NYOM! I know this game will look ****in l33t theres no worries of that I just hope the game physics are put right.

Ry

Advertisement