Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to change from Man U to Real

• 26-04-2003 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

John Aglionby in Jakarta
    Saturday April 26, 2003
    The Guardian

Deddy Liestiadi would not be a football fan were it not for Manchester United, and in particular David Beckham.
    "To be honest I only started following football this season," the 22-year-old economics student explains. "I used to follow basketball but then the NBA started getting a bit boring so I looked around for something else."

With a little guidance from a friend in this south-east Asian nation - where coverage of European football is much better than in Britain - he settled on football but rejected his friend's favourite team, Juventus. "I wanted something more exciting than that," he says. "And then I discovered David Beckham."

At the mention of his idol, Deddy's eyes go heavenwards. "He's in a great team with a great coach," he says. "But he's the best of the best. His passing is fantastic, his free kicks can't be beaten and he often scores cracking goals."

Deddy admits there's more to his attraction for Becks than his prowess on the pitch. "He's very handsome, he's got a stunning wife and I think his kids have got cool names. I mean, naming your kid Brooklyn after the place where it was made is pretty cool."

The England captain's celebrity lifestyle only enhances him as a player, Deddy believes. "Sure he's a celebrity but his play doesn't seem to suffer. He's just as good as he would be otherwise."

Watching Beckham comes pretty much before anything else in Deddy's life. He didn't think twice about getting up at 1.30am on Wednesday to watch the Champions' League quarter-final against Real Madrid live on TV.

"Of course I was sad," he says. "It was very upsetting. But there's always next year."

Choosing between women and football is a tough call, requiring much thought. "I suppose if it was a choice between watching Beckham or going to a party with my girlfriend, I would tell her to watch the game with me first and then we'd go to the party. That would be a fair compromise."

As to which commands his utmost loyalty, United or Beckham, there is no contest. "David Beckham, of course. If he moved to Real Madrid I'd switch to supporting Real Madrid because then that would obviously be the best team."

And were he to meet his hero, what would he ask him? "I'd probably be lost for words," he admits. "But I'd want to know what he plans to do after he retires from football. I reckon he'll be a film star."

What a retard :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Sis 'follows' Man Utd purely because Beckham is in the team.
    Originally posted by daveirl
    and a closet homosexual

Totally.

This "Guardian" is a newspaper? Pretty sh*t one if they have to resort to stories like that!

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yeah, but you've got to admire the guys managment skills...
    "I suppose if it was a choice between watching Beckham or going to a party with my girlfriend, I would tell her to watch the game with me first and then we'd go to the party. "

F.ing genius! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Oh my god!!!

He is a batty boy alright

Advertisement