Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector advice

Options
  • 26-04-2003 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get one for a mate and im not to up on these things.
    More than likely one of these unless someone ehre knows better.http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?AvdID=1&CatID=29&GrpID=1&t=1032&l=2

He can afford the €5000 one (wish i could).

Whats the best spec for these things ie ghz for cpu,megapixels for cameras whats a projectors thingy?

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Just cos its expensive doesn't make it the best, plus theres another 250-1000 worth of expenses regards quality screens, cables, ceiling mounting units etc.

The Panasonic PT-A100E would have been my recomendation this time last year, and at that price is still an unbelivable bargain (its a very impressive projector), however the 300E is a new (2003) model afaik and I'd be curious as to that (search avforums.com for individual reviews first).

Regards specs theres a few things:

Obviously 16:9 is preferable to a standard LCD panel for widescreen viewing..
    You'll usually get a contrast ratio figure as well (800:1 etc.) which basically gives an idea of how dark black is and how the projector will perform in a bright room (i.e. how detailed and noticeable the colours will be).. I mightn't have described that too easily but either way the bigger the better.
    The lumens figure basically refers to the brightness of the lamp.
    Theres usually a lamp-lifetime figure.. self explanatory.
    Projectors can run pretty damn hot and noisy at times, if its for a small room note the running db (noise volume) level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

No dis-respect to boards.ie or this forum but its a graveyard here tbh. Going on the posting level here (5 or 6 posts a day!) you would think no one in Ireland was into Home-Cinema. "Sure isn't a 28inch tv and that new fangled stereo sound good enough for us begorrah!" I reckon most Irish people serious about HC frequent the UK avforums or the US avsforum ,and when you're talking about getting a projector then you really are serious about HC. You should tell him not to let the money burn a hole in his pocket and spend a few weeks on these aforementioned forums researching and asking questions before he makes a decision.

I myself have/had:D a Panasonic AE100 which I bought at last years list price (€2400) around April of last year. It was a breakthrough projector performance and price wise and I was extremely happy with it. It was worth the money at full price and it is definately a bargain at the price its going for now at komplett (€1421) and even more so at the €1149 its going at some UK retailers.

The optics in mine however are buggered (colour staining). Course I did use it 3000hrs in 10 months!!Its under warranty so Panasonic are issuing a credit/refund to my dealer and I think I'm going to take the opportunity to upgrade to the AE300..........but enough about me:D :D

That €5000 PJ at komplett is a business PJ btw. Not the 'mae west' for Home Cinema. For that kind of money I would be looking at the Sony HS10, Sony 12HT, Various DLP projectors....."whats a DLP projector I hear you ask???".......Like I said, go to avforums and find out.:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

the sony hs10 is amazing i have one at home on demo and im definitely going to purchase one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

my vote to sony and the vpl-vw11ht. they are now on 12ht but they are cool. if you want to buy DONT BUY THEM IN IRELAND!!! when i was looking i found a place that sold these for 1 third of the price of the sony shops here!!! ok you risk the backup but hey !!!

they are big, a bit bulky but a strong buy from me..

regards
    F

Advertisement