Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Error "PPPoE server not found"

Options
  • 26-04-2003 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

I've switched from a USB alcatel to a dlink 300+ ethernet modem for use with istream...

When I connect it through my router I get "PPPoE server not found" error (I get the same error when I try to connect directly without the router).

The modem detects the line fine.

The routers PPPoE client returns the same error as well, when I use the modem in bridging mode

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Cheers,
    lph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It's probably the config. Does the USB modem connect alright? (if you still have it)
    Post up your router's config.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I've seen this with the D-link 504 DSL router aswell, a simple retrain and some waiting will usually help. Once it sorts itself on the line there shouldn't be any hassel.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Cheers for the replies..

The USB modem still works. The router I'm using is a Linksys Wireless AP 4-port switch with cable/dsl router(BEFW11s4 v.2)
    and it's configured though the browser.. just have it setup with my pppoe details (doesn't let set vci etc), and I have the modem in bridging mode.

My ignorance on these things is enormous :-) what does 'retrain' mean, and does it require action on my part?

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I think he means resynch the thing.
    There must be a way to configure the vpi/vci numbers, can you console/telnet into the configuration?
    Chances are they're set to something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

do you use istream to connect rather then the alcatel dial up. If you are you may need to change the device it is using to dial as it is probably set to connect through the alcatel rather then the Linksys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I had this problem when I moved to a router.

Most routers have a default vpi/vci set of 0/35. Eircom uses 8/35. Without this it won't locate the pppoe server.

You should be able to enter the ip of the router into your web browser and find a web based config... Most routers/ethernet modems have this now...

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Thanks for all the help.. finally got it working..
    problems were a combination of stupidity and ignorance...

I was ignorant of the fact that both my router and ethernet modem needed to be configured for pppoe (i know, i know) and that I hadn't configured vci and vpi properly..

Again cheers!

lph

Advertisement