Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heatsink/fan

• 27-04-2003 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

im lookin into a new fan/heatsink for my athlon xp2400, was kinda thinkin of Coolermaster XDream

noise is the main factor, and would have to be able to handle overclocking on this chip as ill be doing this at some point. i also heard good things about the?zalmans are they really worth the extra? noise wise?

any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

I got a zalman last week very quiet even in normal mode. I wouldn't get the x dream Ive heard nothing but bad things about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

whosurpaddy

I got the xdream a couple of weeks ago
    Keeping my xp1800 @ 2000mhz cool enough at lowest setting
    46oC under full load

Callan

Where did you hear all the bad things from ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd agree that the Zalman is quiet, even in normal mode.

I've helped a friend fit one in the past and on that occasion I found it quite awkward to fit. I was coming close to the kind of pressure that would crush a core putting it on and the only reason I didn't is that I got someone to hold the HSF base fully level while I forced it on. Normally they shouldn't be that awkward to install tho.

Also the fan isn't attached to the Heat SInk itself but rather sits above it mounted with the screws for your PCI cards. This can be a bit annoying if you chop and change PCI cards reasonably regularly.

Personally speaking, I'd probably prefer a large Copper HSF with a quiet 80 mm fan mounted on it.

Originally posted by deckie27

Callan

Where did you hear all the bad things from ???

Reviews on the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

deckie : whats the xdream like noise wise?

leeroy: would u reckon the zalmans worth the xtra bucks, i mean €60 for a fan/heatsink is a bit excessive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

The xdream is noisy enough. Even at the lowest setting.

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    deckie : whats the xdream like noise wise?

leeroy: would u reckon the zalmans worth the xtra bucks, i mean €60 for a fan/heatsink is a bit excessive

callan: how did you find the zalman to install?

aww thats weird. i just quoted myself . when all i really wanted to add was:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Personally I found the P4 Zalman easy to fit. But then mine bolts thro' the motherboard. Its quiet but not silent. Cools well IMO. Though I find the PCI blanking plate mounting annoying. In future I think I'll go for a decent 80mm heatsink either an Alpha or a Thermaltake and a decent 80mm fan like a Papst. I've used combos like that in the past and they were very quiet and cooled extremely well.

The Coolermaster's are cheap HS and you get what you pay for. Fine if you are on a tight budget maybe. Also the airflow in the rest of the case hast to be sorted for the HSF combo to be truely effective. If you have dire airflow in a dire case then any HSF will struggle to perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

€60 is a fair bit of money for a HSF but many of the other 'quiet' HSF's aren't much less.

As I said above, I'd go for a good large copper Heat Sink with a silent 80 mm Fan in preference to it. (I'm not sure what one I'd pick as I havn't spec'ed a machine for a while)

When I mounted the Zalman, it was on a Socket A motherboard. I found that the arm used for attaching the Zalman to the socket was a very tight fit and I had to re-position it a couple of times. (I'm not sure if they've done anything to the design since but previously the arm came seperately and slotted into to the heat sink)

Lets just put it this way. by the time I was finished I had crossed fingers, a bent installation tool and a large red mark on the palm of my hand. ;) Luckily the core survived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i got a xdream used it for 20 mins took it out and put it into the bin . i will never use it again

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    aww thats weird. i just quoted myself . when all i really wanted to add was:

Fine not as straightforward as the x dream would be.
    Cooling wise: I have an xp 2100 in normal mode the idle temp is about 50c (I have not case fans).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Hi whosurpaddy

The flower is a bugger to install on an AMD board - I even broke some of the little catches on the cpu mounting taking it off.

That said - it looks cool and it runs pretty quietly. I am not convinced that it is the best heatsink ever - my system usually ran with the cpu at 55 degrees, but that's AMD for ya - but hey, you can't win em all.

Still though - I'm not happy about those clips.

----

Tony

right im gonna take my chances & get te zalman in the next couple of days. unless someone convinces me otherwise that is:ninja:

I still say a large quality HS like a Thermalright's SLK800/900 or Alpha PAL8045 and a qood quality 80mm fan like a Papst 8412 NGL is better then the Zalman. But you'll will pay for the quality.

I'd buy it off one of the following...

http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
    http://www.komplett.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yeah Alpha PAL 8045 plus a Noise Blocker s2 would be an uber quiet system

Originally posted by PPC
    Yeah Alpha PAL 8045 plus a Noise Blocker s2 would be an uber quiet system

Where do you get the Noise Blocker's from? I've heard about them but never used one myself.

right ricardo ur close to convincing me here. i had a look at the sites suggested & was thinking bout this heatinkThermalright SK-7 (the 3rd one down) & this fan Papst 8412 NGL ( the top one) . i cant go for ths heatsinks u suggested as it wont fit my mobo (msi kt4v).but i got a question. when i checked out the full specifications link for the heatsink it said the noise was around 52db. is this just from the heatsink? this is a bit too noisy isnt it?

You can get anykind of fan you want but the "full specification" link seems to indicate some sort of package that includes a Stock Fan DELTA Model: FFB0912EHE which is a monster. Avoid Delta fans unless you like sitting in a room with a hairdrier going it in it. Because thats what they sound like. In fact any fan over 30dba is very loud. As a quide anything thats 25dba is kinda quiet. 20dba is quiet and 15dba is pretty much silent.

You'll have to double check which HS fits your board, some can have issues with the larger heatsinks. Also check if theres space in your case for a large HS as some cases stupidly out the PSU over the cpu socket. One final thing is that some fans have 4 pin connectors and some 3 pins connectors. Which isn't a problem but some motherboards, require that a fan be connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard before the motherboard will start up.

The papsts come in both 3pin andn 4 pin, and OCUK only sell the 4 pin version. The SLK800 & 900 will take a 70, 80 or 92mm fan as far I I know. The SLK700 a 70 or 80mm fan. The fan come in different thickness, but the SLK should handle any of them.

I'd probably go with the SK7 and the YS-TECH FD8125 SILENT 80mm fan - 3 Pin (FG-006-YS). Seems to be similar to the Papst NGL and its 3 pin. The Papst NGML is even quieter but not as good for overclocking which you said you wanted to do.

ricardo.
    as always, ur a scholar & a gent.
    ill let ye no what decision i come too
    thanks again 4 ur patience
    paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    The SLK800 & 900 will take a 70, 80 or 92mm fan as far I I know.

Just a note to say that the slk800 doesn't take a 92mm fan

It is an excellent heatsink by the way. Better than watercooling in some cases. In case you can't tell I have one :)

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    Just a note to say that the slk800 doesn't take a 92mm fan

It is an excellent heatsink by the way. Better than watercooling in some cases. In case you can't tell I have one :)

Ah good catch! Just out of curiousity, what are you using with it? What sort if temps are you getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Where do you get the Noise Blocker's from? I've heard about them but never used one myself.

Yeah im going to order them from a german site www.com-tra.de
    they arent in the uk/ireland yet :(

well i weighed everythin up & went for the zalman in the end.
    there were 2 in maplins in town, the full copper one 4 €60 & the copper/ Aluminium 1 which was €35. went 4 d cheaper one & its in my machine as i type. its really quiet in normal mode & actually is silent in silent mode.

i found the installation fine but was cautious going about it as was forewarned about it. but anyway it went on fine. id say it could be a pain tho if u lost the installation tool.

thanks for the advice all.

got another question now : about temprature (in celsius) whats the ideal running temp & whats the highest u should let it go to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

if it hits 90 you should think about changing .
    mine are between 49-56 constantly at any timie

youre talkin in celsius(the smaller numbers) there elexes yea?

min has always been between 37-48 & this new heatsink/fan combo seems to be maintaining this temp fine (even in silent mode)

People say the Zalmans flowers are not great for overclocking but I have one on a P4 1.8@2.4ghz and get temps of 35-45 even after hours of gaming. Thats with the fan in the silent low rpm mode too. So the're not all that bad. But I'd still go back to a larger conventional fan the next time and a proper silent 80mm. as I don't fine the silent mode on the Zalman actually silent. Its quiet though.

Ah good catch! Just out of curiousity, what are you using with it? What sort if temps are you getting?

It is sitting on my 2500 barton :) Using artic silver 3 (I think) between them

This is what mm5 tells me about the temps

temps.jpg

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    It is sitting on my 2500 barton :) Using artic silver 3 (I think) between them

This is what mm5 tells me about the temps

temps.jpg

Thats pretty good alright.

• Advertisement

The temps where about 15-20 degrees higher than that until I added a 120 mm exhaust fan to the top of the case.

It keeps the case amazingly cool but it is noisy as hell. I just don't have the time to 7V it unfortunatly

Advertisement