Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what the hell is a mirco filter and where do i get one

Options
  • 27-04-2003 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

ou will need at least a modem, to make the high-speed data connection, and some micro-filters which insulate the new ADSL signal from your standard phones

that was takeing from solwise site

so i will need a broadband modem (seeming im a cheap feck im getting a pci one lol) and mirco filters where do i get a mirco filter
    and also what else will i need plus does anyone know where i can buy around 15-20 feet of broadband phone cable??

im getting more and more worried about the installing cost as i go :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 original gadget

I'm no expert, but I THINK this is the story:

I THINK Eircom supply u with the filters - if they dont, u can buy them form Dabs for about £5.

As far as I know, ADSL just uses standard phone cable - so a phone extention cable from Eircom Store/Woodies should do.

I'll be doing my self-install in the next few weeks... when I can spare the cash!

I stand to be corrected.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

The dark side do indeed supply you with filters. You need these filters if you share your line with voice/fax. If you don't, then you can plug your modem in en-direct and it should sync.

The splitters are Excelsus-Tech 230T's (the cheap ones). You can order them from the US. I think the ones from the UK will have that "stoopid I've got mongo-thumbs so the connector is really big" connectors and you'll need a converter doobey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

m not getting the dark side adsl

netsources are my chouse so do they sell mirco filters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

If you share the line with any other equipment, then you'll need the splitter. The role of the splitter is to separate the DSL stream from the noise/clutter of the other equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Damian

Bizmark,

Netsource will supply you with two microfilters included in their connection fee.

This applied to both engineer and self install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

thanks m8

so im asumeing that this "splitter" is the same as the mirco filter then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Do you just need the splitter/microfilter for the socket you use the dsl modem with or is it for the sockets used by the phone/fax?

Advertisement