Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laois Broadband/DSL

Options
  • 27-04-2003 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭

Im confused.

I looked into getting DSL at home in Portlaoise a few months ago. Eircom told me it was in the exchange and being tested and should be ready by the end of april. A friend's father who works for Eircom confirmed this. Then, last week I rang Eircom, they tested my line, said fine no problems would you like to order now sir?

Then I pick up this weeks leinster express and on the front page it mentions laois is getting in on the midland broadband ring. Just lauched by dermot ahern, it should be completed by Jan 04 linking all the towns in the midlands via broadband. What exactly is that? It cant be for DSL if eircom say I have it now so what is it? some kind of leased line thingy?

Does anyone in Laois have DSL yet by the way? opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

better suited to IOFFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The idea with the fibre rings is to create a vendor neutral infrastructure that telcos can then lease capacity on. This should make the leased line market in the area more competitive. Cheaper leased lines means cheaper backhaul and that may make providing 'last mile' services (such as DSL or wireless) more attractive in the areas covered. Residential users will not directly connect into the fibre rings. Other companies will have to come along and provide the means to do so.

In the mean time, go with Eircom or one of the resellers of Eircom's wholesale, Netsource or Esat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I think one of my local papers is also confused about broadband and it’s availability in Ballina (where I live).

The confusion must happen (as it does with many people) with the fibre wires currently being put down around the town and any real broadband product, like ASDL which has being available for months.

It’s leading to people thinking that broadband isn’t available.

Advertisement