Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the public force a referendum in this country?

Options
  • 27-04-2003 4:49pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just something that came up over on Humanities that I thought someone here might know the answer to.

Can a person or sufficiently large group of people force the government to call a referendum on a topic?

If so, how do you go about it?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

I seem to remember a friend telling me that if you get a certain amount of people to sign a motion you could force the government to call a referendum.

But this is really vague in my memory, so I could be totally wrong.

Sorry I'm not much help!!

iMP }:>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ummm .. I don't think the public can "force" a referendum in the manner in which you're thinking.

But what it can do is say "we want this issue addressed or else we'll remember come election time ...... ", so it's a bit more in-direct.

I dunno, but that's my understanding on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

No, they can't. (And thank God for this, otherwise we'd be having abortion referendums twice a week)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

hmmm yes... good point I suppose.

DeV.

The public in a specific constituency may be able to force a referendum, if they have an independent T.D on whose support the government relies.
    That happened with the last government with Mildred Fox and co, but it is the government who call them.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

No the public can't really force a referendum but I bloody wish they could. Abortion referendums would be a good thing, so would a referendum on a united Ireland in the south not to mention the issue of the war. It is time that people's voices were listened to, never mind heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

This comment is way too cynical, even for me... but a referendum? Remember Nice? I'd like to believe that Fianna Fáil would actually respect the collective will of the Irish people but then we would be living in a democracy... ah well... :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They can't. That's a feature of direct democracy, not representative democracy. It can be done in switzerland if (I think it's 3% of the population) enough people sign the petition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

The original constitution in 1922 contained a provision stating that the Constitution could be changed only by the Oireachtas (the Senate and the Dáil) until 1930.

However if 75,000 people signed a petition demanding a referendum, one had to be held.

The trouble with this flared up in 1927, in which DeV began a petition to have the oath to the British monarch removed from the constitution.

To counter this, Cosgrave (the man in power at the time) passed several new bills after the murder of Kevin O'Higgins, one of these changing the constitution to remove the option of a public forced referendum.

In DeVs 1937 constitution, he failed to include this and here we stand today.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Mark
    In DeVs 1937 constitution, he failed to include this and here we stand today.
    Of course he didn't, he was in power. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nice informative post mark - covered all the bases.

Always thought it was a little ironic, the long fella doing that (given that the evil Treaty was the bulk of the 1922 constitution). The 1922 constitution was pretty weak, given that the Dail could change the constitution any time they wanted (except the Treaty until the Statute of Westminster arrived)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

It takes an act of the oireachtas to hold a referendum.

So I suppose it takes 133 (134 if the government is against) people to hold a referendum, those 133 need to be TDs however!

Originally posted by ciderandhavoc
    It takes an act of the oireachtas to hold a referendum.

So I suppose it takes 133 (134 if the government is against) people to hold a referendum, those 133 need to be TDs however!
    Do you mean TDs & Senators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

Originally posted by Victor
    Do you mean TDs & Senators?

I said TDs!

But there are only 166 TDs (165 voting + CC) so you only need 83 TDs + 30 senators

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think if there was enough public support for a topic Bertie would consider holding an election. [cf. Abortion]
    Just out of interest is it a particular topic you want on the table or is it just general interest?

Originally posted by PHB
    I think if there was enough public support for a topic Bertie would consider holding an election.
    referendum yes, election no. ;)

Issues for a referendum:

1) Nice Treaty (this time minus the 'spin' and media clout the parties with vested interest brough to bear)
    2) A United Ireland: Yes or No.
    3) The Government's attitude to the war; the overruling of the majority of people of this country.
    4) Irish relations with the USA.
    5) Abortion / Influence of the Catholic Church issues
    6) Corruption of the Gardai and making them accountable.

Originally posted by PHB
    I think if there was enough public support for a topic Bertie would consider holding an election. [cf. Abortion]
    Just out of interest is it a particular topic you want on the table or is it just general interest?

It needs to be in relation to amending the constitution. There's no procedure for having a howdy-doody referendum whenever anyone (or even the government) feels like it.

Nice to know that you're good enough to pay taxes but not good enough to decide on policy, isn't it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl,
    It's already been ratified, you couldn't walk out of it now.
    Never stopped the US. And I don't think that we can't - I think it's that if we do so, we will be subject to a fair few sanctions.
    Thing is, this is a prime example of one reason why we need to have the ability for the public to call referenda - the first vote said no, so the government called for a second vote and when they won, we got locked into a treaty we can't get out of. This kind of thing is exceptionally dangerous to our everyday lives.
    What's the referendum ammendment going to be - "On every issue the Government should consult opinion polls" If you don't like the Government's policy you don't elect them. That's not what referenda are for.
    No, the amendment is that a set percentage of the population signing a petition is sufficent reason to hold a binding referendum. NOT an opinion poll. An opinion poll is not only a small sample set, it's not binding. I don't want to give some pollster my opinion on government policy - I want to have a vote in it, thanks very much.
    Think about it - had we had this ability all along, we wouldn't have needed the anti-war marches, just get a petition. 120-150,000 people marched, that's 4-5% of the population. Marching is harder than signing a petition. So say we got 10% of the population to sign a petition to have a referendum on the issue. Bing, problem solved - the democratic way.

(BTW, I didn't elect the government. The only member of government I could even have voted on was Dick Roche (and I voted against him) - so why should I accept the policy that a group of men I've never met, never been asked to vote for, and whose qualifications are questionable at best, a fraud at worst? )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by sceptre
    It needs to be in relation to amending the constitution. There's no procedure for having a howdy-doody referendum whenever anyone (or even the government) feels like it.

Not correct.

In Articles 46 and 47 the constitution recognises two types of referendum: (1) proposals to amend the Constitution (2) other proposals.

The only established form of "other proposal" is what could be referred to as the "mad government" proposal outlined in Article 27. (50% of the Seanad + 33% of the Dail can petition the president to refer a bill to the people, if the president does so the Government must, within 18 months hold a referendum on the bill or go to the people itself or allow the bill to lapse)

However, the wording of Article 47 certainly allows for a referendum outside the above circumstances. And amazingly, all the rules governing such a referendum are as set out in law - so the government certainly does appear to be empowered to go to the people and ask their opinion - it would simply require an amendment to the Referendum Acts. The Government could also, if it had a mind to do so, put in place a mechanism to allow a predetermined number of people to petition for a referendum, or allow a predetermined number of County Councils to exercise the same right.

If you don't like the Government's policy you don't elect them. That's not what referenda are for.

You see this is something that bugs the life out of me in so called 'representative democracies' - all the parties operate the same policy in these respects - and they do not campaign on foreign policy issues which mean that media campaigns come election time, usually the greatest voice of the people, have no effect whatsoever since they are usually concerned with what the parties ARE basing their electoral strategy. It is almost identical in all two party systems - during the dismantling of the British Empire, the Conservatives and Labour had the same foreign policy; the conservatives were a little more eager to engage in armed conflict but Labour was open to this as well. In America, the foreign policies of the democrats and the republicans are virtual carbon copies of one another, though again the further right wing party is more willing to engage in conflict. And then we have Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. The point is, surely it should be the choice of the people whether or not a country supports a war effort - overtly or covertly and definitely the decision of the people to go to war (unless in self defence, ie a declaration of war by another sovereign nation).

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Not correct.
    Bah, you're right of course (forgot about that). Last section of Art 27 allows the government to change the rules so we can do that as you've mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl,
    Look representative democracy isn't perfect but show me a better system that works and I'll consider it.
    Well, since this is a represtative democracy, your consideration or even acceptance, and a euro or two, will get you a half-decent cup of coffee. However, I submit for your consideration Direct Democracy.
    The suggestion that petitions would allow referenda is crazy. The same people are arguing in other threads that not enough money is being spent elsewhere on public services but they are willing to tie up millions of euros in running an infinite amount of referenda.
    Nope, not crazy. Works perfectly well for Switzerland. The difference is that we don't have dedicated facilities for referenda, which means that everytime we have one, we have to set up the facilities country-wide as if they weren't there from the last time. It's the same as the difference between hiring a minibus to get to work every day and buying a monthly bus/rail ticket.

Frankly, the idea that the public cannot have their government listen to what they want and have it binding, that's the crazy thing... it'd be called dictatorship if we didn't get to vote once every five years.

ps.
    Well then form a new party, or run as an independent. It only takes 30 signatures to get on the ballot paper.
    It also requires you to give up the career that you may have worked damn hard for a long period of time to get a shot at. No thanks. I don't want to run for public office right now, I just want to have a vote on what my country does in my name.

I am a fan of direct democracy as well and I completely agree with the pragmatism evident in the last point of Sparks - and I would add that you (daveirl) ignore the fact that even an independent cannot fight an election on a different battle ground than the already established parties; in fact it would be the previously established parties that would choose the battle ground given the wide support base and since many media organisations have political affiliations of SOME sort, this is doubly reinforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I dont like the idea of direct democracy because frankly, I don't think most people, myself included, have the time to understand all the issues at stake.
    That is why the idea of representitive democracy is to elect a person whom you think will represent your views best, and I hate to say it but the country elected Bertie :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Sparks
    Nope, not crazy. Works perfectly well for Switzerland. The difference is that we don't have dedicated facilities for referenda, which means that everytime we have one, we have to set up the facilities country-wide as if they weren't there from the last time.

The swiss system is quite simple actually - theres not a lot of "dedicated facilities"really in place. Instead, what they have done is removed the need for them.

When a federal referendum occurs, every eligible citizen is sent a little "referendum pack". This contains the official literature (whats being voted on, plus the core arguments from both sides, what the governments stance is, etc), your "registration" which you must sign, and your voting card.

For a local referendum (cantonal or major towns/cities), this would come from the local authorities rather than the federal government.

You fill this up. On the day of the referendum, voting stations are set up in school halls and the like - just like in Ireland.

They are manned by volunteers - just like in Ireland - supervised by some local civil authority type. These volunteers are also responsible for the local counting....which is completed typically by 6pm or 7pm of the same day.

Unlike Ireland, they do not have voting booths, as you already have your card and are suppsed to have filled it. If you didnt get your card, it is your responsibility to get it from the local civil facility before the day of the referendum.

Referenda are always held on a Sunday, and the "voting stations" are typically only open from 10:00 to 12:00 in the morning.

Between 10 and 15 years ago, another option was introduced in Switzerland, allowing you to post your vote back in to whoever issued it - again within a certain window. This was done to counter the massive falloff in voting, and has been massively successful. They'll even send it to you if you have emigrated but remain a swiss citizen and wish to exercise your right to vote.

There are some anachronisms - cantons being laws onto themselves and all in many respects. Some place about 5 years ago was forced to change its local voting practice from one which was effectively "turn up in the town square for a count of hands"!!! Funnily - it was the same place who was forced to allow women to vote in the early 80s.

So - as you can see, there's not that much "dedicated" stuff really in place - it just relies on intelligent use of the postal system and the general honesty of the populace (or at least the assumed honesty of the populace). I guess if someone decided that the system was corrupt, they could start an intiiative to have a referendum to have it changed :)

The reason it works is because voting fraud is relatively unheard of over here....probably aided by the fact that the postal system is so good in terms of tracking people (its illegal not to have your current fixed address registered with both state and post-office, and quite difficult to work around without losing all benefits and rights that the state offers you).

Having seen it in action, its blindingly simple, and definitely effective. Its used by as many people as care about any given issue, and the people themselves can bring the issues forward.

If anyone is interested, I'll post up details of what happens in the next vote. Its in the middle of May - there's a public initiative to get rid of all its nuclear stations. There's actually two votes...one to do it in 30 years, and one to do it in 40 years. The last one on this issue (in the 70s) was high turnout and very close. I expect this one to be the same.

Oooh - I've just been told that there's another vote on the same day to ban driving in Switzerland for 4 Sundays each year (trucks are already banned from motorwys on allSundays, and cant drive on the other roads). Bet the RTS peeps will love that one. Because its on the same ballot as the nuclear vote, its guaranteed high "turnout".

jc

Advertisement