Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Sky Card - Have you got yours yet?

• 27-04-2003 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Am I right in saying that some people in Dublin have got their new card??

Anyone in Limerick got theirs??

Comments

I haven't got mine.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Nothing here yet (I'm in Dublin).

Maybe in the post tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

Some people in Wexford have started getting theirs already.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm in Donegal and I got mine! Can't say I'm happy about it as i'd rather never get the new card, becuase of the conflict that will happen with my FTV card when I activate the new P2 card!

I'm even seriously considering cancelling my subscription to save my FTV card! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I got mine on thursday I had some trouble getting it to work though After the initializing new card message it changed to there is a problem with your card blah, blah, blah but when I stuck the old one back in it says Please insert your new card I thought I was screwed but it eventually worked after the sixth attempt or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Originally posted by sayireland
    Anyone in Limerick got theirs??

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Im in Limerick (almost), got mine on Friday 25th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got mine last week!!!

What happens to the old card.. will it be completely useless or can you still get some channels like FTA?? If so might be an idea to use and get a 2nd hand digibox! I have another dish which i use for sat internet but will not need soon as sub is about over and its time for ADSL

FTA = Free To Air. By definition you need NO card.
    Sky will cancel replaced cards typically in two weeks after they send out the replacement.
    An ROI card receives NO FTV (Free To View) stations. A cancelled ROI Sky Card receives LESS channels than NO card, as some FTA channels are hidden on Irish EPG.

Since BBC fell out with Sky, even BBC Radio and BBC Parliament, (FTA) are not on a no card EPG. This will be sorted no doubt by 1st June..

If an digiibox has last had an Irish Sub, to turn it into a FTA only box it needs a faulty or blank card. With NO card it remembers the ROI card and shows ROI EPG. To get FTA EPG, simply power on (mains, not on/off switch) with an old cheque card or upside down sky card so the Digibox "knows" a card is inserted. It will try to read it and fail. It will then revert to FTA EPG.

If card is removed from slot at all, even momentary, then the ROI EPG will reappear till the power off/on is done again with something NOT an working (active or cancelled) ROI card.

After about 2 weeks an old card is just a piece of plastic, possibly less usefull than a blank plastic card with no chip in it!

• Advertisement

It arrived today. Made the switch - no probs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    It arrived today. Made the switch - no probs.

Charles ,do you have a BBC FTV card and if you have, have you tried it after inserting the new sub card?
    Because i am getting very confused about this whole FTV card thing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Got mine today, worked. I have no FTV card for my main sky sub box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Got mine today, and popped it in and after a few false alarms (box flashed up card is not authorised for around half a second 2 or 3 times during the process) it got going fine. :) Dont use a ftv card in my sub box btw.

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    Charles ,do you have a BBC FTV card and if you have, have you tried it after inserting the new sub card?
    Because i am getting very confused about this whole FTV card thing!!

No I don't use an FTV card in my sub box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Ok, there are two identical threads on the go at present, so can I ask people to note the following...

This thread here, is being renamed, and it will discuss who has a new card or not, and state if you have an FTV card for that box.

The other thread, New Sky Card - Technical Issues, will discuss technical aspects of the new Sky card, i.e. is it working, did it fail to work, and those with FTV cards can discuss the issues.

Cheers,

DMC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navi_5445

New viewing card received in Cork Monday 28th.

My new style FTV card (had it since Feb) works fine with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

My new Sky sub card arrived here in sunny Limerick. All working ok within seconds as per instructions with card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Still no sign of my new card arriving in cork:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Got mine yesterday - switched it over fine. (Maynooth)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mine showed in yesterday's post (Dublin North), switched it over last night..all channels ok :)
    (no FTV card - unfortunately)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭timpat

Got my May magazine yesterday but no sign of new card yet. (Co. Wicklow)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭oakers

Got mine on Friday (Navan) plugged it in and all worked OK :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

My new card just arrived.
    I'm holding off putting it in the box in case it de-activates my old style FTV card.
    Can anyone who has an old-style FTV card and a new sub card with a successful initialisation comment?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I got my new sub card yesterday, put into my digibox and like others it disabled my FTV card, and that card is not even 12 months old, does any one know if their issusing new FTV cards in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

got my new card today
    all channels working, complete with full listings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

Why are people who have an old FTV card and receive their new sub card, putting the new sub card into the digibox, when it will disable the old FTV card?

Does anyone if the new FTV card be posted out, or will you have to order the new FTV card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

ive Got mine today but have not switched it over yet. still dont know if my ftv card will work after! do we konw the% rate of working and not??? (dublin by the way)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

As far as i am aware about the old type FTV cards is that the BBC have no plans to replace any of the old type FTV cards, so the only option that anyone may have is to ring up and request a new card or to look for a replacment for your old type explaining that your old card has been lost by a child or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

got mine yesterday but i am holding out until i ring up the FTV line and say that it was damaged and get a new FTV card sent to my cousin.

i wonder would they suss all of these sudden demands for new FTV cards claiming the old ones were "broken" or "lost".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Got ours yesterday (Donegal), and a friend got his too. Both installed without any bother. Thank God for the personal safety announcements :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

Got it yesterday, but not putting it in until my old card is deactivated, will then put it in another digibox and try to keep existing box with FTV card activated. Does anyone know if there is any plan to deactivate all old FTV cards? cant live without BBC 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Well if all goes to plan BBC should be available FTA from the 1st of June. So you will beable to get BBC 3 probably via the other channels option. Though CH4 CH5 and ITV will not be FTA so a loss there. I've already ordered my new FTA card, on reflection the lady at the centre did sound a bit odd stressing the fact that the old card would be disabled;though this probably just my paranoia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭JimG

Got mine this morning (Sligo area). Worked fine on second attempt - the box made no response to it at all on first attempt but prompted me to insert my card when I tried to watch BBC2. All fine from there on except that it flashed a few messages indicating trouble but went ahead very quickly as if it had only shown them in error.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Got mine this evening ..

inserted new card tried to authorise and failed ...

Worked second time - everything ok.

One funny thing though :

Lost 101,102 and 103 (RTE1,N2 and TV3) from favourites ...

Had to re-assign them using system setup menu.

??????????????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Petal

I got mine 2 days ago.. and it worked fine.. I wouldnt worry if you haven't recieved it yet, I rang them back in March and they sed they were sending them out over a ten month period.. as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Irulan

Got mine today. North Co Dublin area. New card worked fine, as does FTV card (new type) which is married to the same box.

how long does it take for Sky to deactivate the old card after they've sent out the new sub card? Did I read someone said about 2 weeks? Because in that case thats all the life the old FTv card has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Got mine on Wednesday. No problem with changeover.

Has anyone yet activated a new FTV card with new sub card- any problems?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

hi robert
    there are no problems with new sub and new ftv activation/swapping, both swap like a dream

just make sure that ur old sky sub card is in the box, NOT OLD FTV card and it shows listings ie: tv guide/all channels/rte1,net2, etc

then replace ur old sky card with ur new sky card,

its a good idea to write BBC with a marker on ur new ftv card as both are similar in design

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

My new card arrived in Dun Laoire today.

I received my 'New' Sub Card this morning.

I then rang the FTV number to order a 'NEW' FTV card as from what I've been reading my current FTV card will become useless once I insert my 'New' Sub Card, is this true?

I told the girl on the phone that my FTV card was damaged, she said she would try and fix it over the phone and asked me what message I was getting on the screen etc. I told her that I wasn't in front of the TV at the moment, and that i would ring her back as I got a little scared she was gonna cop me.

Has anyone else ordered a 'New' FTV card, if so what did you say to get one sent out? Help is needed badly :confused:

mfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 philipe

Hi Mfield

I have just called sky and told them the kids broke the card and I gave the card number confirmed name and address on FTV card and a new one should be with me in 5-7 days

Originally posted by philipe
    Hi Mfield

I have just called sky and told them the kids broke the card and I gave the card number confirmed name and address on FTV card and a new one should be with me in 5-7 days

Nice one philipe, many thanks for the speedy relply, just what I needed! I will ring back and say the same, I just hope to God they dont start questioning me on the fact that I said the card seems faulty earlier on. I'll just say that there is no response from the card whatsoever, and that it is like there is no card in the box, that should do the trick, me hopes! ;)

Originally posted by arkles
    hi robert
    there are no problems with new sub and new ftv activation/swapping, both swap like a dream

just make sure that ur old sky sub card is in the box, NOT OLD FTV card and it shows listings ie: tv guide/all channels/rte1,net2, etc

then replace ur old sky card with ur new sky card,

its a good idea to write BBC with a marker on ur new ftv card as both are similar in design

Now you have me properly confused - are you saying that when i get the new FTV card I must activate it with the old sub card first before i activate the new sub card?? Can you be very clear about this as it is very important

apologies robert
    i was talking about activating the new SKY card, do it with the old SKY card in the box before u put in new SKY card.

it dosent matter which SKY card is in the box when u phone to get new FTV card activated

apologies robert
    i was talking about activating the new SKY card, do it with the old SKY card in the box before u put in new SKY card.

it dosent matter which SKY card is in the box when u phone to get new FTV card activated

Sorry the first para

You mean, take out the old sub card and then put in the new sub card to activate it- correct?

activate the new SKY card with the old SKY card the last card that has been in the box, ie: dont have FTV card the last card in digibox before putting in new SKY card
    hope this dosent confuse u

tis confusing me now :)

it dont matter whetherold/new sky card was last in box before activation of new FTV card

apologies for boring the hell out of everybody

activate the new SKY card with the old SKY card the last card that has been in the box, ie: dont have FTV card the last card in digibox before putting in new SKY card
    hope this dosent confuse u

tis confusing me now :)

it dont matter whetherold/new sky card was last in box before activation of new FTV card

apologies for boring the hell out of everybody

Now I understand what you mean, any way I'v activated two new sub cards without any problems- Thanks
    By the way my UK supplie asked me to send him back the 'old 'FTV cards and he will replace them with new ones - does that mean that BBC or Sky wont supply new FTV cards without having an old one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement