Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMREG get new advisor

Options
  • 27-04-2003 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Professor Gerard Parr, Chair in Telecommunications at the Coleraine Campus has been invited to join the The Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg), the Irish National Regulatory Authority for Telecommunications.

ComReg functions are broadly equivalent to the Federal Communications Commission in the US, and Oftel and the Radiocommunications Agency in the UK. It has three full-time Commissioners served by a staff of about 120.

As well as performing the normal regulatory functions such as licensing, price control and radio spectrum management, ComReg’s role is to help stimulate the development of the Telecommunications sector, both North and South.

Professor Parr said "I am delighted to be invited to be part of such a distinguished Panel of Experts, including senior research scientists and executives from Nortel, UK Radiocommunications Agency, BT Exact, International Telecommunications Union, Microsoft, Eircom, Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources and Enterprise Ireland"

"It will be my intention to contribute to the discussions of the panel and to promote the rich mix of competitive and internationally-leading Telecommunications R&D taking place in the University of Ulster and to develop the regulatory frameworks that will support cross-border research and commercial opportunities in Internet Technologies and Telecommunications Engineering on the island of Ireland", he said.

Get the whole thing here.
    He used to teach me maths at uni, better call him up and edumicate him as to whats going on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Professors and "need for speed"- cultural conflict? Dunno - I wish him well, but I still think the powers of this group (ComReg) are limited.

I notice from your post, and I may be missing the full picture here, that it's made up of corporates? Is there an IOFFL member? Is the "public at large represented". If not, then who gives a flying monkey's sh$t? When Joe Public ain't present, Joe Public don't exist - this is the simplist of all public/political truths.

Elucidate me please!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I am delighted to be invited to be part of such a distinguished Panel of Experts

Well, by the sounds of it, he certainly needs your edumacating MDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

When Joe Public ain't present, Joe Public don't exist - this is the simplist of all public/political truths.

I have no idea of the make up of the panel, I will certainily try and pick Prof Parr's brain's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by MDR
    I will certainily try and pick Prof Parr's brain's.
    Seems an extreme way of bringing him round to our way of thinking, but each to his own. :)

adam

Advertisement