Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible FREE-TO-VIEW CARD Crisis

• 27-04-2003 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Folks, I don't like replicating info but here is a paragraph from the latest(May issue)of What Satellite.

"Almost a million homes could lose access to ITV,Channel 4,and Five by satellite because no one is managing the free-to-view card operation.
    The BBC currently pays £4 million a year for the 850,000 free-to-view-or solus-cards,which allow viewers to pick up the terrestrial
    channels and their digital spin-offs.
    Going free-to-air will save the BBC further millions because all Sky viewing cards are being swapped for a new version this spring.Sky's plans call for existing viewing cards to be deactivated when the switchover is complete,probably at the end of the summer.
    ITV,Channel 4 or Five were discussing the Solus operation as What Satellite & Digital TV went to press"

Any comments?? Surely this means the old FTV cards will be switched off soon. I'm sure the Sky encryption service will only want to facilitate the new type card software??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Couldn't they send a once-off signal to the FTV cards telling them to "operate indefinitely". This way Sky wouldn't have to use up bandwith to constantly send messages to the cards, and they could still work.

(i can dream)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Typical journalistic speculation.

ITV, Five & C4 are commercial and rely on Ads,
    They collectively pay ££millions
    BBC don't and never did manage the Cards.

NDS (Sky) has always issued them.
    The PO used to do user call centre but the FTV call centre is now operated also by Sky.

It is possible that they won't replace any more FTV cards, so they and the cancelled Sky Sub cards will continue to work as FTV cards for ITV, C4, Five.

It is "old" *active subscription* cards that will be turned off when Sky feels they have replaced them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

I think the BBC paid Sky to manage the FTV cards.
    About £5 Million a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭dosfromclare

This seems to be the best thread ot post this ... My FTA card which has been working for the past 18 months won't show ITV & C4. It says it needs an upgrade. 5 is the only channel in operation. I lost the BBCs a couple of months ago. Any idea what has happened ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unplug phone line (if connected)
    Leave FTV card in slot.
    Turn off power.
    Hold backup on the box, not remote while reconnect power.
    When message is on TV (need SCART, RF is off) about updating then let go backup button.

Leave FTV card in slot on any FTV channel at least overnight and check channels next day. Should be all back.

Your card or box has missed a key or sw upgrade transmission

• Advertisement

Thanks Watty. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by dosfromclare
    Thanks Watty. Much appreciated.

Let us know if it worked for you

Originally posted by watty
    Unplug phone line (if connected)
    Leave FTV card in slot.
    Turn off power.
    Hold backup on the box, not remote while reconnect power.
    When message is on TV (need SCART, RF is off) about updating then let go backup button.

Leave FTV card in slot on any FTV channel at least overnight and check channels next day. Should be all back.

Your card or box has missed a key or sw upgrade transmission

Will this system also work after the new replacement sub card is activated? I hav'nt got mine yet but I am concerned that I will not be able to use my FTV card with the new sub card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

no it won't work I've tried it and the new sub card has deactivated my FTV card and its now even 12 months old yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

A couple of months ago i got blasted by David letterman, the forum user, for saying that the most reliable way of using an FTV card was with a second digibox.

Well, David, when you insert your new P2 card then say goodbye to your old ftv card, looks like youll have to sort out another, doesnt it?.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by TVDX
    A couple of months ago i got blasted by David letterman, the forum user, for saying that the most reliable way of using an FTV card was with a second digibox.

Well, David, when you insert your new P2 card then say goodbye to your old ftv card, looks like youll have to sort out another, doesnt it?.

This does NOT seem to be the case with everybody, as you will read in other threads here. I think its early days yet and untill there are more new P2 cards in the system, then we might get a better picture of whats happening. SO lets not panic just yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Folks

I have the new Irish sky card for my own Digibox plus an expired sky sub new type card paired to another box. (Welsh Version). If I put the Welsh new card in Irish box to get itv etc on occasion will it cause any channels (ie. BBC) to be lost??

Thanks

Thanks Watty,

ITV & C4 were back yesterday when I got home from work. Please note that these are old cards.

Advertisement