Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fan grills

Options
  • 27-04-2003 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

do u have to tear apart much of ur pc to put in one, has anyone tried them yet? i see peats are selling a few :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

...depends where the fan is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

All you have to do is unscrew the fan and then screw it back in place with the holes of the fan guard over the holes for the fan.
    It's not difficult unless you have your fans in some really, really, awkward place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Also sort of on the topic.. Combatcow might be able to answer this one for me.

If you're cutting a hole in your case to mount a new fan. What size does the hole need to be?

ie If you're mounting an 80mm fan is it an 80mm hole, or if youre mounting a 120mm fan is it a 120mm hole.

The reason I ask, I'm on my way to get some hole cutting attachments for the drill :)

I got one the other day. 70mm
    When I measured the fan I think it wasn't quite 80mm
    Maybe that the measurement across the diagonal.
    Either way the hole won't be too big, which would be a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yup raz the 80mm is the diagonal length,Pimp, 80mm is the size of the fan not the size of the hole in the middle,70mm as raz says is fine.maplin have perspex fan guards with a L.E.D in one of the bottom corners,might be kinda cool.ne way chrome fan guards are easy to install but make sure the bolts are bout 30mm ( 80mm fans are usually 25mm ) just to give some clearance with the grill on the fan.good luck

COMBATCOW

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Combatcow
    Yup raz the 80mm is the diagonal length,Pimp, 80mm is the size of the fan not the size of the hole in the middle,70mm as raz says is fine.maplin have perspex fan guards with a L.E.D in one of the bottom corners,might be kinda cool.ne way chrome fan guards are easy to install but make sure the bolts are bout 30mm ( 80mm fans are usually 25mm ) just to give some clearance with the grill on the fan.good luck

COMBATCOW

Any of the grills I've used can only be fitted on the fan one way which leave them well clear of the fan. So I'm curious as to what do you mean by clearance on the fan?

I think Combatcow means that you should get the longer screw so you won't be left with screws that are too short to mount your fans with.

All the fan screws I've ever seen were the same length.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

yeah i mean if u got a 25mm fan and 25mm screws when u put the grill on ( which is 5mm thick roughly )the screws wont be long nuff to take the now 30mm diamater,so i said get 30mm -35mm length screws.to give u the clearance needed.kinda a no brainer but just thought id mention it.

COMBATCOW

Advertisement