Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SNMP Basics

Options
  • 27-04-2003 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

Could someone explain what exactly SNMP iss, or point me to a helpful website?

I use a wireless modem for my internet connection at the moment for internet access and have a program that allows me to see how much data is flowing through it using snmp.
    With the right programs can I do much else with the modem and snmp?

Would there be different password levels on the modem (set by my service provider perhaps)?

Any info appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

SNMP means Simple Network Management Protocol...

Very basic overview:

An SNMP node/client keeps records (called an MIB/Management Information Base) in a carefully formatted and heirarchial structure.

An SNMP management node (the requesting computer) then polls the above client for specific information and is sent it in the form of a SNMP packet (or trap as they're called sometimes).

Theres no specific password to access SNMP data, basically SNMP nodes are split up into "communities" (or workgroups).. i.e. the requesting computer has to be in that community or know which one the information node is in.

Anyway if your wireless router conforms to the specific MIB for routers then it'll have a range of information available (and not just the data throughput).. just download a SNMP tool that lets you specifiy individual MIB nodes (I dont know the windows side of this.. but MRTG would be one of the more popular *nix graphing tools from SNMP derived data).

Advertisement