Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual boot probby

Options
  • 28-04-2003 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

K, situation is that I had everything working grand.

I had my Xp working with my mandrake
    (I boot into Xp by going into the mandrake boot loader (most recent version))

then I go and install windows 2000 cause it runs CS better.

anyway, I now have the windows boot loader instead and it comes up with win 2000 and win XP only
    (where I can only boot into 2000 and have problems (currupt/missing files while starting to load XP, but I reckon if I use the mandrake loader it will work)

I want the mandrake loader as before with the new option of windows 2000,... is this do-able :)

[EDIT: all the google help is giving me is "assuming you have Windows XP already installed and that Linux isn't installed yet", which is no help to me!]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Take a look here:
    http://info.ccone.at/INFO/mandrake/9.0/en/troubleshooting-filesystem.html#id2908549

You did make a boot disk? :)
    Even if you can't get to a command prompt to reinstall the bootloader, you can always run through the install CD (select upgrade), that'll reinstall the bootloader too.
    I'm sure there'll be more beardier suggestions ;) but those 2 always work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

no boot disk :( any other way around it?

I'm now fu*ked as the windows XP boot option won't work :( please help me!

I want the mandrake boot loader back (I guess its probby still there???)

[EDIT:
    Windows (all versions) usually replaces LILO or grub (the boot loader that starts up GNU/Linux and other operating systems) without any warning at all, and if you do not have a boot disk, you will not be able to boot GNU/Linux after you perform the Windows upgrade.
    ****, can I get a friend to make me a boot disk??? ]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Did you try booting off the Mandrake CD?

I'm new to mandrake, but I haven't done that as I'm not sure what will happen!

[EDIT: Booting off the mandrake CD will only let me re-install, right? I don't want to have to reinstall. I eventually got win2000 and win XP working. I will settle to have linux an option on the windows loader, I have tried
    c:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"
    in the boot.ini file, but there are files missing for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

This is a *nix problem, and youll probably get a better answer over in the unix board, but I'll take a stab at it.

Boot from your mandrake CD, it will begin the install process, however before you enter it there is a prompt. It gives you instructions at this point to enter a repair mode.
    Type 'rescue' at this point and hit enter. Not sure if it's rescue but it says it on the screen.

You will be brought to a menu where you can create a boot floppy, do this. And repair the boot loader, do this also.

Should sort you out....

• Advertisement

I've come to a screen where I press F1 to go for more options such as expert, normal, etc and there is a command prompt there so I guess that is where u are on about, thanks Mr. Ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Thats the one.. Its on that screen to type 'rescue' to enter a repair mode.

Its either rescue, repair, or something similar, cant remember not at my machine at the moment. And it will bring yhou to the next menu that will aloow you to create a boot disk and/or repair the boot loader.

Not a problem, glad I could help ;)

:(

menu options in Rescue are

re-install boot loader
    restore windows boot loader
    mount your partitions under /mnt
    go to console
    reboot
    doc:whats addressed by this rescue

so I click re-install boot loader and get the following

please wait, trying to find your root device...
    could not find your root device :-(.
    died at /usr/bin/install_bootloader line 19
    press enter to return to rescue gui

So I guess there is no other option?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Saw your dilemma while I was searching for a similar answer meself....

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue36/larriera.html

Basically, instead of trying to reinstall your Linux bootloader, use the instructions above to obtain a copy of your linux boot image, and stick it on the c:\

So, boot to the rescue screen (as you've done), select 'go to console', mount your root partition, and follow the instructions above....

And it should work.....

:)

oohhh so close :) I was going to do that.

I'll try it out later :) got to study (not for leaving tho :))

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93345

don't really know if this should be in ms apps or unix or both!

I have new prob at above thread! Just read the last post!

Advertisement