Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carlow Wan

• 28-04-2003 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

Are any of you geeky enough to want to join and help run start a Carlow WAN. I'd ask the previous participants to exclude themselves as they obviously don't have any real interest in it.

Few things on the agenda:

Where are you ?
    Do you have any wireless equipment ?
    Whats your budget?
    What do you want from this ?
    Do you have a PC? (heh have to ask, as you never know..)
    Do you know what a WAN is? (also a must ask..)

Vbnets do a nice starter package that retails in or around 400 euro including VAT and essentially would turn ur site into a bi-directional node thus being a sort of network hub as such.

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

It's a bit too late in the year for that sot of wuestion. We all start exams in about a week or two so i dont think anoyone is interisted in a lan, maybe in about a month or two i might be availagble but not now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Most people know that Carlow it have a wan to st. Pat's. We all thought it was closed and you had to be in a direct line between here and st Pat's but on friday I found out that it is unidirectional and that if you have the equipment you could hook up to it. :)

:( Today I found out that the WAN was working off "Biowear" Tech (I think that the tech is called Biowear, will recheck that). The problem is that you aperantly need that specific tech to hook up with the college WAN. It would cost about €2000. :(

Anyways, I would be interested next year Paul. But it would have to have a net connection. I will talk with people in the it and see what I can come up with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by flamegrill
    I'd ask the previous participants to exclude themselves as they obviously don't have any real interest in it.

Should I assume that this is aimed at me?

I was interested in setting up a Carlow Wan, thats why I set up the email address, website, mailing list and mIRC room. Unfortunately, it was due to a lack of interest on other peoples part (including yourself, Paul) that things went as they did.

Everyone was of course rather interested but as soon as a question of putting in some money to buy some equipment was mentioned people just ran away as fast as possible.

You have to remember that 85% of the people who were interested were students, and as a result didnt have a whole lot of cash to spend.

Granted, I didnt do as much as I could, I rarely updated the website, I was slow replying to emails, but I was just one person and i was asking EVERYONE to help me out, to no avail.

That said all I can say is good luck with it and let me know how it goes.

Personally I think I'll be waiting until DSL comes out in my area mid-summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

Originally posted by Ivan
    Should I assume that this is aimed at me?

I was interested in setting up a Carlow Wan, thats why I set up the email address, website, mailing list and mIRC room. Unfortunately, it was due to a lack of interest on other peoples part (including yourself, Paul) that things went as they did.

Everyone was of course rather interested but as soon as a question of putting in some money to buy some equipment was mentioned people just ran away as fast as possible.

You have to remember that 85% of the people who were interested were students, and as a result didnt have a whole lot of cash to spend.

Granted, I didnt do as much as I could, I rarely updated the website, I was slow replying to emails, but I was just one person and i was asking EVERYONE to help me out, to no avail.

That said all I can say is good luck with it and let me know how it goes.

Personally I think I'll be waiting until DSL comes out in my area mid-summer.

Ah shut up and dont start a flame war ffs!!!

Originally posted by Baldy
    Ah shut up and dont start a flame war ffs!!!

Look who's talking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Look who's talking.

quit moaning and get back to studying for your exams.

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    quit moaning and get back to studying for your exams.

Take your own advice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Yeah well YORE MA!!!
    I think that settles it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Take your own advice :D

you did not hear me bitching about it.

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    you did not hear me bitching about it.

Nor me