Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

my first REAL football game

• 28-04-2003 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

hi all,

i have just returned from a weekend in London where on Sunday I had the pleasure of sitting in the 2nd from front row on the halfway line (right beside the away dugout) in White Heart Lane, watching my MANU outclass SPURS 2-0.

AMAZING - for anyone who hasnt yet seen a live game, or was wondering if it is worth it, my god it is.

Old Trafford here i come next season!!:p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

First game is always a great buzz.

Mine was Chelsea v United. Stamford Bridge. 1985. United 2-1. Part of their 10 game winning streak are the start of 85-86.

First game at OT was v Forest. 1987. 2-2. Whiteside got a screamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

My first match was back in 1990 when I sent to Landsdown road to see Bray beat St. Francis 3-0 in the FAI Cup final.

It wasnt much of a match as it was very one sided. But I loved it anyway. And Landsdown road looked like the San Siro to me!!! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

First United match was cantonas testimonial, what an atmosphere.
    fantastic stadium, I hear though that anfield is a better all round stadium & that was a serious Utd fans opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭feldy

the atmosphere in the lane wasnt really spectacular from what i have heard compared to other stadiums, but it is a really smart place. great fans, great buzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1981 Pats vs Waterford think we lost 4-0 (was 6 not sure on result).

Been there ever since :) + :( in equal amounts.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

First game is always a great buzz.

The first match I saw Liverpool at Anfield was this year (Vs Sunderland), went over and made a weekend out of it .... IT WAS THE CRAPPEST game cos' Sunderland played for draw and unfortunately got it .... Bad First game but had a great weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Originally posted by yop
    First United match was cantonas testimonial, what an atmosphere.
    fantastic stadium, I hear though that anfield is a better all round stadium & that was a serious Utd fans opinion

I'm a pool fan and have been to Old Trafford and Anfield ... I'd be of the opposite opinion ... Uniteds set-up at Old Trafford is top class ... Anfield , although good atmosphere does need some improvements ... IMO

i have to say that hearing your own experiences and views is turning out to be quite good. :D

this wasnt such a bad idea for a topic! :cool:

as you can all see quite clearly, i am a newbie, and fast becoming addicted to this site. good work boards team. keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You should keep going to Man Utd away games cos soon as you go to Old Trafford all those nice feelings of man Utd away games will vanish and you be thinking more along the lines of funerals and prawn sambos.

kdjac

Originally posted by KdjaC
    funerals and prawn sambos.

kdjac

are you roy keane?
    hehehe:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Roy Keane had a point. Get a ticket for K Stand at O/T beside the away fans if you are intereted in banter and atmosphere, other than that, if you are only interested in seeing your heroes play, popping into the megastore, and getting a few pictures for the kids, then take one of the leather seats, prawn sambos and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I've been to Anfield twice. The atmosphere is very good, especially when YNWA is sung before kickoff. I saw Sunderland two seasons ago (1-1) and 'Boro this season (1-1).
    I'd say if ye went to a 'Pool Vs >insert good team here< game the atmosphere would be incredible. First time I went to Anfield I did the obligatory stadium tour, and i thought, walking along the pitch, that the place was very small.
    First game i went to was Ireland Vs Luxembourg 1987 with the oul lad. 2-1 Ireland. Still have the match program, it cost £1. There's a full page dedicated to Stephen Roche on his Tour de France win. Class. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

as a villa fan i went to villa park a few years ago and sat in the holte end. it was totaly amazing being among the diehard singing and chanting for the whole game. As a result i go back as often as i can but things just aint as cheerful at the moment!

i think i know the answer to this but why isnt there a good astmosphere like that at all irish internationals? is it somthing to do with the suits and prawn sarnies as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

my first match is...today!
    off to see ireland and norway in about...19hrs

lets hope it stays dry for you tellox!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by feldy
    lets hope it stays dry for you tellox!
    Hah... true, I always loved going to international matches, you get a great feeling before the games. Especially on your first visit. I'm sure you'll enjoy it even if Ireland lose!

i dont think ireland are going to win anything but the odd friendly here and there. the thoughts of them actually winning silverware are a little hopeful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

My first game was an FAI cup tie at Dalymount Park between Shamrock Rovers and Cork City in 1989 (i think?). Cork won 1-0 so all wasn't lost.

Gladly the next time I went back it was to see Bohs! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

My second time in Old Trafford was united vrs Florentina (3-1 untied). Absolute class game. We were right by the touch line 10 feet away from giggs... what a game he had.

I also went to United vrs Middleburgh a few years ago where we lost 3-2. Have to say though the European nights are much better imo.

the seats i had were right beside the manu dugout only about 5 feet from the touchline. amazing to be that close to the boys.

i took some snaps of the match - must post them for u all once i get time to take them off the digicam:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

i think i know the answer to this but why isnt there a good astmosphere like that at all irish internationals? is it somthing to do with the suits and prawn sarnies as well?

thats rubbish

ive been to most of the Ireland home games over the last few years and the atmosphere ranged from good to absolutley incredible

never gone to any premiership matches because i cant afford to hopefully next season though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

when i talk about no atmosphere i mean long periods of silence even when ireland are winning. i dont deny that there are passionate irish fans but most of the noise comes from the south terrace while the corperates look on silently.

The 4 games with the best atmosphere where
    yugoslavia
    Holland
    USA
    Nigeria

And none of em have touched on a premiership match

Advertisement