Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Packaging is better??

Options
  • 28-04-2003 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what people thought on the issue of computer games packaging?
    Do you prefer the old big box with some CD's, a big-ass user manual and some extra junk,
    Or
    Do you prefer the new Slimline DVD-esque boxes that you get nowadays with one CD in the right holder and some more in plastic packaging tucked in the side with a possibility of a user manual?

Guess my preference :p

Which Packaging do you prefer? 10 votes

Old style Box with CD Jewel cases & Manual
    0% 0 votes
    New style DVD-esque case
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

slimline dvd boxes all the way........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Has to be the dvd style box for me. Its just much easier to store and looks better too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah i reckon the new ones. As raz said the old onbes did have soem advantages but i think on the whole the new ones r better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

The thing I most appreciated about the old boxes was the fact that when you spent a whole lotta moula on this fancy new game you got something of substance.
    I don't like the DVD cases because there generally isn't a printed user manual in the box, it's on CD. That's all well and good but you think for €60 odd they could at least go to some expense to make the product have a little more than just a few CD's.
    It's one of the reasons I only buy the old releases and not the brand spanking new ones. Jst not enough bang for your buck!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

with the older ones i felt like i was buying a nice "package" and they usually came with more i.e maps and keyboard thingys , the new ones loook beter but id go for the retro ones tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I like boxes as small as they can be! Why not just in Jewl CD cases i say! For DVD`s and puter games!
    Making storage easier!

The only reason for dvd boxes being bigger is marketing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I throw out boxes and place CDs into binder sleeves from work then stick them into an A4 folder with each Cd in a binder slot.
    600 cds in 4 A4 binders very handy.

But would go with DVD boxes if i hadnt got binder sleeves.
    kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

You still get this with the new games type box but its not just the same.

Back in the day when I got Civ for example and it came throgh the post and its big box weighing a fuccking ton :) Then you would rip off the cover and and open the box (with disks just lying bare) and here it comes the best thing of all..........

AHHHHHHhhhhhh new game smell.

You could close the box and open it again and get another wiff of that.........new game smell :D It just isnt that same these days. Also you got more spam for the pound in my day and quake players where better :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

DVD boxes by far, they last a lot longer than the old raggedy cardboard boxes (often big enough to hold a small Mexican family), look better,feel better and are easier to store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Arken Thell

Alot of companies switched to the DVD style ones cos it was more cost efficent, they put the manuals on the disc cos it's better for the enviroment too. Gotta say they look alot better as well and shops can fit more of them on their shelves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

My collection was designed for CD cases. I can't store the DVD style ones easily now. It'd be nice if I could replace all the CD cases with DVD cases. A mix is just awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Arken Thell

I'm fairly sure that you can buy DVD cases pretty cheep or just ask a couple of shops for them. That way there in the same kind of container. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Companies switched to DVD boxes cos shops demanded it ,they can fit more on shelves.
    Games shops said they werent stocking any new titles after 6th jan 2002 in large boxes.

We had to rebox about 300,000 games into DVD boxes last year twas fun.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

One reason why game developers like to put the manual on cd is that they can make changes to it up until the game goes gold but if they release a printed version then generally they're forced into making the final manual version several weeks if not months before they release. So you either get a .txt on the cd listing several changes to the final manual or else you get a really vague manual that doesn't really give you any hard facts about the game.

I like the new boxes they take up less space and sometimes you're lucky and you get one that's clinge film wrapped and has that new game smell. I wonder if you can get air fresheners that have the new game smell like the ones for cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I prefer the DVD cases as well tho the old game boxes had, as someone said, that new game smell.

I get manuals in my dvd cases... no idea why no one else seems to. Games i got manuals with are: CnC Generals, UT2k3, red faction, sim4 and max payne to name just a few.
    (true they aint as big as the manuals used to be, but most of that was the manual in about 4 different languages, now just 1 )

What a about that new game smell you are all forgeting the new game smell!

New game smell

smell new

game smell

gibber:eek: :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

DVD boxes for handiness, but old skool large cardboardy ones are cool.. They feel like you have bought something really good :>
    The Silent Hill 2 box on the PS2 is still the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I hated the old game boxes. They were ****ing enourmous and when you opened them there was a cd in a white sleeve and a slip of paper hiding in one of the far recesses of the box and ne'er a mexican family in sight!

DVD cases are perfect cos a manual fits in nicely (i also get manuals with most of the games i buy). More of this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

It just has to be the DVD cases for me. I'm an awful keeper of sh*te and have all of the cases off me pc games, N64 games, me stereo I bought 7 years ago, TV, Video, DVD and so on - takes up way too much space:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The move to DVD style boxes makes loads of sense - given that console games have been in sensibly sized boxes for years its a wonder that PC games didn't sort themselves out sooner.

That said, I'm still a sucker for special/limited edition box sets of games which come in huge packages with loads of random tat included. Personal favourite being my Final Fantasy X box set, which is about four times the size of an old PC game box set, and came with a massive poster and a set of figurines from the game :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The old ones definately, you can have ab ox in the middle of nowhere with all these ancient huge empty cardboard box's and have a look at your colelction of games, and say 'damn Im good', but with these new smaller ones you dont get this HUGE collection of games (well, its probably as big, but it LOOKS tiny in comparison), and then you have the wee CD rack beside your comp with all yur faveourite games handy for the choosing.

And the new game smell, has to be mentioned :D

Dont forget the new game smell!!!!!!!

Also then you got the old boxes the manual and the disks would smell new for about a week are so and that was class as well.

Also reading the manual was like reading war and peace! and that just added to the pure quality and value for money :D

Also dont for get the new game smell its like a ......new smell!!!!! like a ninja!!!:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I prefer the old cd cases that console games came in than the dvd cases which I think are extremely ugly. The PC boxes were ridiculous but it did feel great to have a huge big box. The american boxes were twice the size of the european ones. The best thing about it was all the free t-shirts and posters that fit into the box. Try fitting that into a dvd box.

Only Shinji is sad enough to buy the special edition to a game he already owns:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

DVD boxes are far better. My room would be in such a (worse) mess if games still came in the old hollow boxes. Also I can’t remember ever having a broken DVD box (the proper ones).

Having said that I’m a sucker for packaging, used to love the old boxes and always got pissed off at boxes slightly bigger which didn’t fit on the shelves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Have to say , the new Dvd-style boxes are much easier to store but the old ones will always have a place in my heart. :)
    Reminds me of the Amiga boxes actually.
    Who can forget that new game smell! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

These DVD cases are a godsend. They finally phased out the PSOne/Euro DC shatter prone fat jewel cases and Nintendo's cheap cardboard boxes. They're the closest thing to a Mega Drive or Neo Geo box.

Cover art has gotten really ****e recently though. All 3rd rate CG renders. Whatever happened to gorgeous illustration.

Advertisement