Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading help

Options
  • 28-04-2003 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

i am going to buy some stuff to upgrade to a new machine and i was wondering what you thought about the compatibilty of this stuff, will it all work together or do i need more cooling and would i have to get involved with using thermal paste and such

Abit NF7 V1.2 mainboard for Socket A DDR
    - nForce2-SPP/MCP, ATX, USB2.0, LAN, 8x 106,20

AMD Athlon XP2700+ 2.2 GHz 333 MHz bus
    - Socket A (Thoroughbred) Processor 216,62

Cooler Master CPU Fan Socket A/7/FCPGA
    - CP5-7JD1B-0L, for 1,4GHz, upto XP2800+ 15,60

2x DDR-DIMM PC2700 512MB DDR CL2.5
    - Generic memory 184-P (for DDR-PC333MHz) 115,20

Sapphire Radeon 9700 Atlantis 128MB
    - AGP, ATI 9700, DVI, TV-Out, Retail 290,53

Q-Tec Midi tower ATX 6024MD, Black
    - Pro Line, with 350W, AMD/P4 (UK) 58,92

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB IDE
    - ATA/100 harddisk 2MB cache 7200RPM 96,00

TwinMOS PenDrive 128 MB
    - USB storage drive 40,25

LG CD-writer IDE 52x/24x/52x GCE-8520BN
    - "Super-Link" w/NERO SW, Internal Bulk 63,75

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

That's a good setup as far as I can see.
    It looks like you're shopping on Komplett. I had a look at the Moterboard and they don't give any info about it. Will it support the ATA-100 HDD? How about the RAM?
    They'd be the only concerns I'd have.

I presume you're installing the processor yourself. If so then you may have to use the thermal paste. It's better than the pads you can get because you use a much thinner coating and this equals greater thermal conductivity.
    I've never used it myself (hopefully in a few months tho :)) but apparently you can just use a credit card to spread it on the core and then attach your HeatSinkFan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

is an ATA-100 not standard?
    i thought this would work wit any hard drive
    the memory i think should work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Would you not go for ATA 133

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

This should sort you out
    I decided to look up about that motherboard. Click the link for the specs :)
    It seems it's a very good MB indeed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

thanks raz, yeah i liked the sound of the nforce 2
    looking at the specs and price of an ata-133 i'll get one of those instead
    thanks deckie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I got the NF7-s Rev 2.0 . I think its a great board which can overclock real well if your interested in that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Built something quite simular a few weeks back. Went for an ATA133 instead but don't think theres much difference. Only thing I'd change is the case. For another 50 euro you could get one of these chieftec cases which are excellent. I've built a machine with the case you're suggesting and while its ok its not great. The chieftecs have plenty of space, room for lots of fans if you're overcocking etc.
    Also a DVD drive and firewire card for another 70 euro. That mboard and graphics card are the business!

Advertisement