Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry and Jenas take the honours

• 28-04-2003 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

Well Henry deserved it IMO with Scholes in a close second. Im glad Rooney didn't win it because he hasn't played that much really. The same with O'Shea. I would have loved JOS to get it (nationlaity and all) but he only really came into the Utd team late on in the season. And on top of that I think Jenas is a class player. Great potential there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Henry deserved it completly no doubt about that, although i would have thought ruud was better than scholes on the whole this year.

Someone told me earlier that O Shea has made something like 50 appearences for manure this year, is that true? If it is hes certainly played enough, but i think that jenas has probably made more of an impact.

Also, who made the team of the year?

Havent seen anything about it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Also, who made the team of the year?

Friedel (Blackburn), Carr (Tottenham), Cole , Campbell (both Arsenal), Gallas (Chelsea), Vieira (Arsenal), Scholes (Man Utd), Pires (Arsenal), Dyer , Shearer (both Newcastle), Henry (Arsenal).

Originally posted by jonno
    but he only really came into the Utd team late on in the season

Hasn't O'Shea made the most appearences out of all the Utd defenders?? So I dont think you can say he only came in late.

Imo O'Shea should have won. Hes been one of Utd's top three players this season.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Fair play to Henry, he definately deserved it. I think O'Shea was unlucky. I think he has played better than any young player this year, I can't see why Jenas came in, in front of him. Jenas is good, but O'Shea is far better.

• Advertisement

wtf, Van Tapsinanddives didnt get in? thought he shoulda got it over shearer. Dyer is a marginal choice too.

Nice to see the Beckham love-in ending tho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I dont think Jenas should have gotten it tbh, JOS deserved it far more imo. He played against real madrid and even got to nuts figo ffs :)

Henry i guess deserved it as Ruud didn't play that well during spells o the season, Scholes only really started playing well since christmas too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well we know why jenas got in ahead of JOS now don't we ;)

Poor lad has only an Irish passport. JOS was a much better choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    I dont think Jenas should have gotten it tbh, JOS deserved it far more imo. He played against real madrid and even got to nuts figo ffs :)

Henry i guess deserved it as Ruud didn't play that well during spells o the season, Scholes only really started playing well since christmas too.

yeah that was one class move through figos legs! oh the shame for figo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Hasn't O'Shea made the most appearences out of all the Utd defenders??

Unless he's missed a hell of a lot of matches recently it's probably Sylvestre.

Henry deserves the Best Player accolade.

Jenas probably edged it for Newcastle because he ended up starting in midfield (and putting in Man-Of-Match performances) for an extended period when Newcastle had injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by ciano
    Friedel (Blackburn), Carr (Tottenham), Cole , Campbell (both Arsenal), Gallas (Chelsea), Vieira (Arsenal), Scholes (Man Utd), Pires (Arsenal), Dyer , Shearer (both Newcastle), Henry (Arsenal).
    Surprised by the two full-backs included there and Dyer.

Friedel, Scholes, Vieira, Shearer and Henry have all been sensational all season imo, great choices.

Campbell and Pires... bleh. Sol's played pretty well all season, not so sure about Pires though, not very consistant this season, drifted in and out game to game. I'd say he's gotten it more on his reputation earned last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Jake303

Cant believe David Connelly didnt make the first devision team!
    Hes second top scorer in the league and has averaged a goal a game since he came back from injury!
    :confused:

Originally posted by Jake303
    Cant believe David Connelly didnt make the first devision team!
    Hes second top scorer in the league and has averaged a goal a game since he came back from injury!
    :confused:

Can you post the first division XI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Jesus I hate Alan Shearer, how did he get in before RVN, the first United player since Dennis Law to score forty goals in one season.

Well since nobody else has posted the first div team of the year .... here it is. (Also Div2 & 3 if yer interested ;))

Div 1
    SHAKA HISLOP - Portsmouth
    DENIS IRWIN - Wolves
    MICHAEL DAWSON - Nottingham Forest
    JOLEON LESCOTT - Wolves
    MATTHEW TAYLOR - Portsmouth
    MICHAEL BROWN - Sheffield United
    MUZZY IZZET - Leicester
    PAUL MERSON - Portsmouth
    MICHAEL TONGE - Sheffield United
    DAVID JOHNSON - Nottingham Forest
    PAUL DICKOV - Leicester

Div 2
    JOHN FILAN - Wigan
    NICKY EADEN - Wigan
    JASON DE VOS - Wigan
    FITZ HALL - Oldham
    MICKEY BELL - Bristol City
    SCOTT MURRAY - Bristol City
    JIMMY BULLARD - Wigan
    GRAHAM KAVANAGH - Cardiff
    MARTIN BULLOCK - Blackpool
    ROBERT EARNSHAW - Cardiff
    ROB HULSE - Crewe

Div 3
    ALAN FETTIS - Hull
    CARLOS EDWARDS - Wrexham
    GRAEME LEE - Hartlepool
    CHRIS WESTWOOD - Hartlepool
    PAUL UNDERWOOD - Rushden
    RITCHIE HUMPHREYS - Hartlepool
    MARK TINKLER - Hartlepool
    PAUL HALL - Rushden
    ALEX RUSSELL - Torquay
    ANDY MORRELL - Wrexham
    DAVE KITSON - Cambridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Dennis Irwin is some player. Great to see he made it into the team of the year, after making the premiership team of the decade. What i wouldnt give to have a 28 year old Irwin to play left back for Ireland right now.

Great to see Graham Kavanagh in the Div 2 team of the year. But then again he seems to make be in it just about every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Shearer has such a good boy image, he's a dirty f***er, in with the elbow everytime, he gets blown up for it so often, gets the goals though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Jenas is class ! he deserved it \o/

Advertisement